•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HEQ5 Horrible DEC during guiding

Astrophotography EQ Mount EAA
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 UnkleFester

UnkleFester

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 12:01 PM

Can someone offer some advice as to what I might do to correct this issue with the DEC rotation being “non-symmetrical”?  My DEC has always given me issues with guiding. I thought issue was with backlash but info I have read from Astro-baby and a video from Martin’s Astrophotography show that not an issue based on initial testing. 

while doing that test I noticed that during the rotation it is not quite as smooth all the way around. I don’t hear a rubbing but I can feel a small amount of friction/resistance. Does anyone know if the little inset grub screws on the DEC cylinder could possibly be used to realign the Mount so the rotation is symmetrical?

#2 LuscombeFlyer

LuscombeFlyer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Lakeland, FL

Posted 20 June 2021 - 12:46 PM

I wouldn't think so. Bearing wear maybe?

Edited by LuscombeFlyer, 20 June 2021 - 12:46 PM.

#3 Maximumron

Maximumron

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clarita, CA.

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:01 PM

Have you called SkyWatcher? Maybe they can provide as light on the issue. I also have an HEQ5 mount but do not have this symptom. I'm not sure how the bearings are mechanically retained but maybe a preload value is off slightly. Hopefully they do not shim anything to get the value as leaving a shim out would cause some anomaly you could sense.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, EQ, Mount, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics