•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount for Celestron 4SE / GSO 10 inch dob?

Mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wschaap

wschaap

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:12 PM

Hi everybody,

I own a Celestron 4SE and a GSO 10 inch dob. Have done mainly visual stuff, but lately I have started to be interested in astrophotography and made some nice pics with my ASI224MC camera. First the moon, but also galaxies / nebulae etc. Now it is time for the next steps, which are a ASI533 camera and a new mount. But which mount? I would be happy with a mount which can handle my 4SE. It has a large focal length, but I imagine almost any mount should be better than the Celestron 4SE mount, but is that right? I have been looking at the Skywatcher HEQ5, but then I read many posts that the EQ6-R is a lot better and might just be able of handling my GSO dob. But not really, and I would need a CEM-70 for that. Would that be the perfect mount for both these scopes? Or should I better settle on HEQ5 or EQ6-R and see where things go from there? Any good advice from experienced astrophotographers would be very much appreciated, thanks!!!
Willem Schaap (newbie) 

#2 Astrophotonics

Astrophotonics

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Long Island, New York.

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:39 PM

Forget the Heq 5, even the the EQ 6 will be straining since your OTA weighs 34 pounds and the EQ-6 is rated for 44, that 10 pounds under not exactly optimum for Astrophotography. again you can try it.

• wschaap likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:03 PM

Hi everybody,

I own a Celestron 4SE and a GSO 10 inch dob. Have done mainly visual stuff, but lately I have started to be interested in astrophotography and made some nice pics with my ASI224MC camera. First the moon, but also galaxies / nebulae etc. Now it is time for the next steps, which are a ASI533 camera and a new mount. But which mount? I would be happy with a mount which can handle my 4SE. It has a large focal length, but I imagine almost any mount should be better than the Celestron 4SE mount, but is that right? I have been looking at the Skywatcher HEQ5, but then I read many posts that the EQ6-R is a lot better and might just be able of handling my GSO dob. But not really, and I would need a CEM-70 for that. Would that be the perfect mount for both these scopes? Or should I better settle on HEQ5 or EQ6-R and see where things go from there? Any good advice from experienced astrophotographers would be very much appreciated, thanks!!!
Willem Schaap (newbie) 

Two pieces of advise.  The first is _far_ more important.

Either scope would be a _very_ difficult way to start out in DSO AP, as many have found out to their sorrow.  Too big (long and or heavy, and or slow).

The ideal starter scope is:

600mm or less.  480 is better.

10 pounds or less, 5 is better.

F6 or faster.

Something like this would be ideal.  $489.

https://www.astronom...fpl-53-f-6.html

How much is your time and satisfaction worth?  This is _not_ visual.

The HEQ5 would work fine with it.  If you want to get something that would work with the 4SE after you get some experience (think months, not weeks), something better.

This is not something I invented.  It's the view of experts who write "how to get started in astrophotography" books.  And those who've walked the path you want to walk.   I have _many_ of these quotes.  A talented beginner, looking back on his first year.

"First and foremost is listen to the folks who have been there. The philosophy of 80MM APO and good $1500-2000 mount is great advice for beginners. Sure you can possibly <learn to> image as a beginner with something that is larger or that you may have but holy cow its hard enough with something small."

Another quote.

"If you took away all my equipment and experience and I had to start from scratch, I'd spend much more on my first mount and much less on my first OTA, bigger mount and smaller scope.  I'd get a mount that I could grow into, and a scope that I didn't have to worry about, and spend my time learning how to acquire and process astrophotography."

That's the key point.  You want a scope that gets out of your way while you learn.  Neither the 4SE nor the Dob qualify.  The second biggest beginner mistake (after an inadequate mount) is too big a scope.

Good mount.  Small refractor.  Breakfast of Champions.  <smile>

If that's too much money, a good learning setup is camera tracker/camera/lens.  _Really_ short, light, and fast.

People here will tell you how to image.  But what you need to know is how to learn imaging.  Two somewhat different things.

This will be the best $40 you ever spend in DSO AP.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/0999470906/

• tturtle and ShaulaB like this

#4 wschaap

wschaap

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:28 PM

Two pieces of advise.  The first is _far_ more important.

Either scope would be a _very_ difficult way to start out in DSO AP, as many have found out to their sorrow.  Too big (long and or heavy, and or slow).

The ideal starter scope is:

600mm or less.  480 is better.

10 pounds or less, 5 is better.

F6 or faster.

Something like this would be ideal.  $489.

https://www.astronom...fpl-53-f-6.html

How much is your time and satisfaction worth?  This is _not_ visual.

The HEQ5 would work fine with it.  If you want to get something that would work with the 4SE after you get some experience (think months, not weeks), something better.

This is not something I invented.  It's the view of experts who write "how to get started in astrophotography" books.  And those who've walked the path you want to walk.   I have _many_ of these quotes.  A talented beginner, looking back on his first year.

"First and foremost is listen to the folks who have been there. The philosophy of 80MM APO and good $1500-2000 mount is great advice for beginners. Sure you can possibly <learn to> image as a beginner with something that is larger or that you may have but holy cow its hard enough with something small."

Another quote.

"If you took away all my equipment and experience and I had to start from scratch, I'd spend much more on my first mount and much less on my first OTA, bigger mount and smaller scope.  I'd get a mount that I could grow into, and a scope that I didn't have to worry about, and spend my time learning how to acquire and process astrophotography."

That's the key point.  You want a scope that gets out of your way while you learn.  Neither the 4SE nor the Dob qualify.  The second biggest beginner mistake (after an inadequate mount) is too big a scope.

Good mount.  Small refractor.  Breakfast of Champions.  <smile>

If that's too much money, a good learning setup is camera tracker/camera/lens.  _Really_ short, light, and fast.

People here will tell you how to image.  But what you need to know is how to learn imaging.  Two somewhat different things.

This will be the best $40 you ever spend in DSO AP.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/0999470906/

Thanks Bob for your detailed reply! I have ordered this book and it looks very instructive! So does your advice. I guess I need to get another scope too :-) Still I do have a question. You say that if I would want to attach the 4SE at some point I would need to get something better than the HEQ5. Are you talking about the EQR6 or something much beyond this? Thanks!

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:07 PM

Thanks Bob for your detailed reply! I have ordered this book and it looks very instructive! So does your advice. I guess I need to get another scope too :-) Still I do have a question. You say that if I would want to attach the 4SE at some point I would need to get something better than the HEQ5. Are you talking about the EQR6 or something much beyond this? Thanks!

After checking the specs (it's an unusual scope for DSO imaging).  The 4SE could work on the EQ6-R.  Maybe even the HEQ5 Pro.  It's light, at 6 pounds, but long at 1325mm.  That magnifies tracking errors.

It should be noted that few people image DSOs at F13.  You'd need both long subexposures and long total imaging times.  F4-F7 is the usual range, some go as slow as F10.  I have an F2.

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 June 2021 - 04:08 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics