•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why do you regret buying a large (5”+) refractor for visual? Did you keep it?

Refractor Observing Equipment Mount Planet
  • Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#176 PowerM3

PowerM3

Ranger 4

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:05 AM

The replacement.....slightly different Hawaiian shirt.

Wow, what a story!!! That f/12 looks massive. I thought my 178ed f/9 was big... Lol

• Castor likes this

#177 PowerM3

PowerM3

Ranger 4

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:14 AM

"Why do you regret buying a large (5”+) refractor for visual? Did you keep it?" Is this a serious question??? Lol. I currently own a Meade 178ed, AP130gt, and fs-128. The data point that I'll add is that I use the 5" all the time! They are a ~3 trip setup on my g11 w/cg5 style tripod. The 178ed gets used much, much rarer as its more of a 10 trip setup on the g11 but with the HD tripod, pier extension, extra cw.... Having said that once the 178ed is setup it is visual nirvana! Just the experience of using such a big refractor makes it worth it. Id never sell it(unless I can afford a 8" at some point down the road). 

• Castor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor, Observing, Equipment, Mount, Planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics