•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SHipping containers for observatories

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick Canada

Posted 25 June 2021 - 07:24 PM

My carpentry skills are better honed than my mechanicals skill, sound's like I'll look at framing with steel and covering with metal sheeting. Also thinking that an arc section of a corrugated/galvanized culvert/tunnel pipe would do the trick, a bit heavy thus more counter weight needed if that can be found around here. This project of mine is to eventually turn out to be a public outreach project to involve anyone wanting to further their curiosities. It's amazing how you can effect in a good way someone's future. I feel proud to have raised 3 girls who became professional independent women and have become doctors in their field, just want to continue doing it !!!

#27 speedster

speedster

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:32 PM

The clam shell roof can be a variety of shapes such as using prefab components off the shelf.   https://www.versatub...only-8-x-15-x-7

#28 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:55 PM

Working on designing my flip off roof, did my material list placing order and this young lad helping me is a very introverted smart individual with a designer brain. Will post pictures as i progress with my project. Would welcome any critiques at any time from anyone as i believe a smart thing to do is let others place their imputs and cypher through the information. I would also like to thank Christopher Erickson for excellent suggestions, power to you brother !!

• Christopher Erickson likes this

#29 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:10 PM

AE560BCF 8F06 426B B108 7761CB8AF3F3
7A440854 A17A 44CC A582 D45DE0956777
AE560BCF 8F06 426B B108 7761CB8AF3F3
7A440854 A17A 44CC A582 D45DE0956777
651838DA A78B 4621 81DD 5EADB938AF79
924EBDB5 FA15 423F 8AFD F135A93EA0FA

• Christopher Erickson, R Botero and jcj380 like this

#30 jcj380

jcj380

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

Spanning the sides with beams and a concrete tray might create a reasonably vibration-free platform on top of the container.

Just to revisit this for a minute, does "concrete tray" mean pumping concrete onto horizontal corrugated steel sheet?  Would it need rebar?

#31 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Skylab

• Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:08 PM

Just to revisit this for a minute, does "concrete tray" mean pumping concrete onto horizontal corrugated steel sheet?  Would it need rebar?

Steel mesh would be good.

And dam the edges and make it 4-6" thick.

• jcj380 likes this

#32 speedster

speedster

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 16 July 2021 - 05:14 PM

Christopher is spot on.  Concrete is more flexible than steel so go thick and don't expect miracles from a slab on a bouncy steel deck.  Definitely reinforce the slab. 

As long as we are talking about container observatories:

observatorios-1.jpg

• quality guy, jcj380 and Dynan like this

#33 jcj380

jcj380

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:12 AM

There's a "July special" if anybody's thinking of taking the plunge:

https://www.conexwest.com/

There's also a container design link if you want to experiment with windows, skylights, etc.

• Astrolumi likes this

#34 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:58 AM

I didn't see what it was like inside but when I was in Coonabarrabran a few years ago I had a tour around Siding Springs and there were a couple of modded 20' containers up there used as professional international observatories. I don't really have any advice on what to do with yours, only mentioning that it is used by professionals.

#35 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:42 AM

I didn't see what it was like inside but when I was in Coonabarrabran a few years ago I had a tour around Siding Springs and there were a couple of modded 20' containers up there used as professional international observatories. I don't really have any advice on what to do with yours, only mentioning that it is used by professionals.

The idea popped in my head as i was searching info on a roll off roof shed and was disappointed by the huge increase of cost for wood that we are experiencing in our area. These containers are mostly being used around here for storage and utility uses. I understand fully the structure strength and weaknesses they have and somehow, what a great remote observatory this would make. By dividing the container into two rooms, one for the telescope/pier room isolated from it's control room. Am a bit of a geek when it come's to creating this as my approach is to have as much as possible a professional set up without the cost of a professional set up. I grew up on being inspired by sciences and when i look back at all those star trek episodes i watched, where any maneuvers the USS Enterprise took, it all began at who was sitting at the helm, in front of a control panel. The bells and whistles of this panel can all be purchased cheaply on amazon and YouTube is a great for tutoring any projects.

#36 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 03:59 PM

Hi everyone !!

Reality has come home and found out that steel prices have gone through the roof !!! After a few consultations from my local experts, the design minimums were established for my flip off roof. Reached out to a regional steel supplier and got shocked at the minimal cost for my project.

Since I had already made my torsion box roof, I shall go forward with this project and have a roll off cover instead.

I want to thank all of you for sharing your thoughts and ideas and I will post pictures if anyone wishes to see the progress or end results. Am very open to opinions, ideas, corrections and view points !!

#37 Greg M

Greg M

Ranger 4

• Loc: Henderson, NV

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:42 PM

Unless they figure it's protecting something valuable, and they roll it up on a float and drive off with it. bigshock.gif

Until they realize there's a pier mounted in concrete in the ground and suddenly they can't lift it very easily. The OP did mention cutting a hole in the base of the container for the pier to stick up through.

But yeah, insure the heck out of it and live.

#38 DENISANNA

DENISANNA

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:18 PM

Sticker on all sides:

THIS CONTAINER CONTAINS ASTRONOMY EQUIPMENT

NOTHING ELSE OF VALUE

ITEMS CANNOT BE RESOLD EASILY WITHOUT TRACABILITY 

PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE AND TO NOT DESTROY THIS PROPERTY 

SCIENCE WILL LOVE YOU

#39 Greg M

Greg M

Ranger 4

• Loc: Henderson, NV

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:51 PM

Radioactive stickers are a better choice.
And I'm a beekeeper so I'll surround mine with hives that they'll have to contend with after they trip over the electric wire. Haha!
  • mikerepp likes this

#40 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:25 AM

Put a display of these on all sides... People fear invisible things that they can't see.

pg.png

elec.png

• jcj380 and OldManSky like this

#41 jcj380

jcj380

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:09 AM

Until the moron comes along who says, "Hold my beer, I ain't 'fraid of no electricity."

• Greg M, torsinadoc and Dynan like this

#42 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:59 AM

Can't plan a defense against 'stupid'. :smile:

• Greg M and jcj380 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics