•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Passable C8 Jupiter? June 21

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:20 PM

Celestron C8  1.5x Barlow and ZWO 462mc

Greed kept me out until 2.30 am local time on this 21st June.  The seeing was not good and the freezing moisture atmosphere periodically crystallized into a blanket of thin to moderate cloud which would then disperse for a while but probably worsened the seeing.  However remaining prospects are not good over the next few days and this week there is a meeting of local planetary imagers with good coffee and tasty cake provided by the host. In order to take advantage of this free repast, felt I needed another image from June to ensure I would be allowed through the door. The best image of my night caught the GRS in transit but there is not a lot of detail and I had to push the image a lot. Saturn was from nearly hour earlier than the Jupiter image and very noisy even at low resolution.  A thicker and more stable looking blanket of cloud at 2.30am put paid to my plans for another go at Saturn.  Hopefully this contribution will suffice as if I have any more such late nights the coffee will be very needed indeed during the pre-cake agenda!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-06-20-1603_5-U-L-Jup_l6_ap38a.png
  • 2021-06-20-1507_6-U-L-Sat_l6_ap15a.jpg

• Sunspot, russ75, George Bailey and 11 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:35 PM

Nice images - I'd give you a nice piece of cake and some coffee for those efforts :)

• Foc likes this

#3 Az Frank

Az Frank

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:45 PM

Passable and then some with a C8 I would say! Well done.
  • Foc likes this

#4 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:49 PM

Very passable, Ross. Really nice colours too.

• Foc likes this

#5 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:01 AM

Good work Ross! As your host, however, let me

A. Reassure you that you were welcome anyway, and
B. Alert you that it was chocolates not cake that I was proposing!

Mark
  • Foc likes this

#6 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:06 AM

It is possible to do better with a C8 but it depends on you luck with seeing conditions. It's just a matter of having a go when the conditions are good and the planet is well above the horizon. Not to say that your images aren't good, just that you can expect to better (and inferior) results when you revisit the planets over the years.

Some samples of my better efforts are attached. You never know what you will get on any particular night, until you have finished with lucky imaging, selecting the best quality frames, stacking and applying wavelets.

EDIT: Ahem, the TIFF image of Jupiter looks a bit too good to be from my telescope and the file name makes me wonder too. The jpeg that I am attaching now, is definitely mine. Even after reducing the jpg quality, it's not bad, showing the shadow of the moon.

Unfortunately, the that the iPad stores images, makes it difficult to be sure of their origin at times.

EDIT: I just did the same with the Saturn image. The two Saturn images are much closer in quality but the second one (again with reduced jpeg quality) has a file name that fits my naming pattern during processing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 661B405D-FFEC-4FE5-B3CC-7191311B99FE.jpeg
  • Jup_195856_170517_g4_ap40_conv.jpeg
  • Sat_202840_070717_g4_ap44_conv_1-3.jpeg

Edited by Rac19, 21 June 2021 - 04:02 AM.

• Foc likes this

#7 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:27 AM

Thanks for all the likes and positive words from Frank and Ray.,

Melbourne has really nice eateries Andrew but it is still an uncertain 700km COVID run for me to enjoy a slice of your cake, nevertheless you can keep me informed when you do have a spare slice!

Thanks for the 'sweet' promise Mark, I will take that to mean I can have a nap over the next few nights which may make me sound a little less deranged..  Look forward to seeing your own planetary selections when I come over.

Nice dramatic image of Saturn there, RAC19, and yes good seeing is often unpredictable (as shown by Meteoblue..and its version of last nights reality) but then so are invitations for coffee and chocolates and thus the chances of both arriving together in the right order for one are always far too small! smile.gif   Hopefully some of my future images nearer opposition will pass this passing effort of this morning and that we will all be in for some treats over the next few months.

#8 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:05 AM

The image of Jupiter (which has to downloaded because it is in TIFF format), is the one and only occasion, in many attempts, that the moons have been clear. I assume that it must have a case of everything being optimal, collimation, focus, seeing, exposure and post processing.

As for MeteoBlue, which make I use of all the time, it not unusual to have a nice clear sky when 100% cloud cover was forecast, so it's always worth seeing for yourself on the night.

Another useful link is https://earth.nullsc....23,-36.71,3015. When set to 250 hPa it shows the jet-stream, a consistent spoiler of seeing in our part of the world. I am pretty sure that the Jupiter image was captured when there was a calm patch over Sydney at 250 hPa.

Attached Thumbnails

• JetStream.jpeg

Edited by Rac19, 21 June 2021 - 03:10 AM.

#9 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:22 AM

Yes, I can see your Jupiter now with the well defined moons. Thanks for the jetstream link...I suspect if I consulted more of these and also took into account the unfavorable local terrain,  I might find reasons to image less !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics