•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Will wild fires stimulate ATM mirror grinding?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MeridianStarGazer

MeridianStarGazer

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:51 PM

Increase the amount of grinding, decrease, or no effect?

I'm thinking more grinding since they can't go outside to do other stuff. (Hopefully we don't get smoked out as bad as last year.)

But if their shop is smokey, and their house rules say no grinding in the house, then maybe less grinding.

#2 MisterDan

MisterDan

Messenger

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:36 AM

If I'm making for me, then I would expect a significant impact - one directly tied to the impact on my own time for stargazing.

Stimulation of more mirror making?...  Only if said mirror making was for customers.  More "carp" in the skies => less time at the eyepiece => more time with grit and polish.  If there are no customers, then the carp would bum me out, yielding very little desire/drive to grind my own optics.  "Fix" and "spiff up" existing scopes?... Perhaps, but - again - that would likely be for others, and not myself.

My stargazing time, last summer (2020), was lousy (Colorado).  I recall one decent night of Jovian views through a 70mm achromat I'd just finished fixing/collimating.  Beyond that night?... Not much else... a brief view of a Jovian shadow transit in my Stellarvue (before my wife reminded me how late it was).

Interesting question, though.  Thanks for posting.

Best wishes.

Dan

#3 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:10 AM

I think this deserves an award for the most ridiculous and absurd question ever posted on the ATM forum.

Edited by EJN, 21 June 2021 - 09:21 AM.

• ad701xx, John Lightholder and Dale Eason like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics