•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6se vs 8se vs Evo 8 vs Evo 9

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hboswell

hboswell

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mississippi, USA

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:31 PM

I'm thinking of revamping my scopes - as much as I love my 11" Starmaster, due to aging and battered knees, shoulders, and ankles it's getting a bit much for me, and I'd really like something more portable for camping. I've been looking at weights for my 6se vs the 8se, Evo 8, and Evo 9.25. According to the Celestron website, they fall out like this:

6se: OTA 8 lbs, mount head 11 lbs, tripod 9 lbs - total 28 lbs

8se: OTA 12 lbs, mount head 11 lbs, tripod 9 lbs - total 32 lbs

Evo 8: OTA 12.5 lbs, mount head 16 lbs, tripod 12 lbs - total 40.5 lbs

Evo 9.25: OTA 20 lbs, mount head 16 lbs, tripod 26.6 lbs - total 62.6 lbs (I didn't expect it to be this much heavier than the Evo 8!)

My Starmaster comes in at around 75 pounds total, so weight-wise the 9.25 isn't saving me that much, but... from the standpoint of portability, packing for a camping trip, space taken up, setup and breakdown - is there that much difference between the mounts and tripods for these four SCTs? Obviously the weight and size of the OTAs would differ, but would there be that much difference between packing my 6se into the car and packing an Evo 8 or even the 9.25? On my recent camping trip to Texas, the Starmaster took up more space than I think my wife would allow on future trips (see the photos here), so if I want to take a scope on future trips I need to find something that packs better (plus, as I said it's getting harder for me to lug around). If that's the 6se, then so be it, but if I could pack a bigger SCT in about the same space that would be nice. Other than weight and size of the OTA, is there some difference between these SCTs that I'm not thinking about?

Thanks,

Harry

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 21 June 2021 - 01:50 PM

I have a 6" SCT, 8" SCT and the 9.25" SCT, along with more mounts than I will ever admit to my wife.  I have been doing some traveling with the scopes lately, and settled on the 6" with a ES Twilight1 mount.  the mount and tripod fit in an old Tasco scope bag perfectly (really nice bag, not sure its original use but big zippers, lots of pockets and 1200 denier nylon) and the 6" scope and accessories (3 EP's, a barlow, the diagonal and finder) fit very nicely into a padded tool bag.  it's very portable, rugged and the 6" SCT will show a lot from dark skies.  it also has a 6.3 focal reducer for wider views.  to me, this is the ideal setup.  the 8", while able to show more, requires more mount.  that's a deal breaker in most cases.  the 9.25"...  forgetaboutit for camping unless you are going to be there for a while.  too much to setup and tear down every day.  at least for me.  I would likely bring my 12" truss tube before bringing the 9.25 and a mount for it.

the 6" is an amazing scope and under dark skies really performs well above it's weight class.

just my opinion.

• siriusandthepup, hboswell, PolyWogg and 1 other like this

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:11 PM

Hello Harry,

I have both the C6, that was  a SE model and. C8 Edge HD, the C6 is a very nice portable scope. However I did not like the Celestron SE mount one bit, it leaves alot to be desired. These nights I mount it on a Stellarvue M2C mount that is very compact and stable for its weight class and best of all with no electronics the M2C mount is real simple. If Desired you can add a Astro Devices Nexus DSC to make the M2C a push to mount. The M2C weighs in about 12Lbs or so. it will hold my C8 Edge HD as well There is nothing that I can see through my C8 that I cant see through the C6 but the C8 will be a brighter and a little larger image scale. As Mike, posted #2 forget about the C 9.25.  

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro 

This is my C8, on a SV M2C mount. the C6 is a lot more compact.

20210506 193652

Edited by Jethro7, 21 June 2021 - 02:37 PM.

#4 PolyWogg

PolyWogg

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

After the big Q of SCT or not, I think this is the best Q around for the SE / EVO models. We all know the obvious differences in aperture, etc., but the real Q for everything is what YOU consider portable. I know some people who consider 11" portable.

For me, I consider:

4SE/5SE almost to be backpackable scopes except for the tripod. The mount and SCT will fit in a decent backpack, and leave room for a few EPs, maybe even your power pack. The tripod and accessory/spanning tray are a different Q.

The 6SE is, in my view, portable. Lightweight, you can fit the OTA into a number of different large tool-box sized carts if you aren't paying for the custom Astro scopes, light weight and size is manageable for everything.

The 8SE is, again imo, a luggable, not a portable. I have the 8SE and I regularly wish I had just the 6SE for room in the car, carting, hauling, etc. I like to leave my mount on my tripod but it makes everything huge to lug, store, etc. The OTA fits in almost nothing "normal sized" unless you buy a full SE or Pelican trunk.

But if you're used to your 9.25"+monsters, your mileage may vary. The 6SE seems like a nice price point and size, but if you can afford EVO, the extra stability, options, etc. are a great upgrade.

I'm about to set up an observatory in my backyard with my 8SE, but if an EVO 6 follows me home from the telescope store one day, I'm sure that's coincidental. I'm sure you're also aware your bigger issue will be availability and time...

Paul

#5 hboswell

hboswell

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:58 PM

The 6se would certainly be the easiest solution, since I already have one. My main concern is with the mount not having a manual clutch. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I am concerned that I'll forget that I can't move the SE mount manually and mess something up.  It does sound like the 9.25 is really too big and heavy to be a good camping scope though.

Harry

#6 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:41 PM

The 6se would certainly be the easiest solution, since I already have one. My main concern is with the mount not having a manual clutch.

So take the 6" tube from that one and mount it onto your Evolution mount.  Problem solved!

#7 hboswell

hboswell

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:52 AM

So take the 6" tube from that one and mount it onto your Evolution mount.  Problem solved!

That would require me buying an Evo, either the 8 or the 9.25. If I got the 8, I probably wouldn't keep the 6se. But if I got a 9.25, I might. Something to consider.

Harry

#8 Retired Dave

Retired Dave

Viking 1

• Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:41 AM

I would go for the Evo 8.  Its the best fit IMHO for most aperture on the best mount to be portable.  Slightly more weight than the 6, but worth it and not as bulky and heavy as the 9.25.  The Evo mounts are more solid than the SE mounts and comes with a self contained battery. Plus, you can run from your cell phone via Bluetooth.

Good luck in your choice and wish clear skies for you on your trip!

#9 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:48 AM

The 6se would certainly be the easiest solution, since I already have one. My main concern is with the mount not having a manual clutch. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I am concerned that I'll forget that I can't move the SE mount manually and mess something up.  It does sound like the 9.25 is really too big and heavy to be a good camping scope though.

Harry

this should be a no brainer - purchase a twilight1, vixen portamount or other decent alt-az and go.  minimal investment, no electronics to fail and ruin the night, lightweight and more than enough for the 6".  you could just buy one, give it a try and if you don't like not having the electronics, just sell it then.  they hold their value quite well.  you may want to upgrade to the HAL-130 tripod if you go with the Vixen though, the stock tripods are kinda wobbly.  the TW1 comes with tubular steel 1.5" legs, quite sturdy.

#10 vjstangelo

vjstangelo

Vostok 1

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:34 PM

I have a 6SE and Evo 8/9.25. The Evo 8 has the best combination of portability and aperture. I have also put the C8 on the SE mount with no problems. If portability is your primary goal, I would get the 8SE.
  • Retired Dave likes this

#11 hboswell

hboswell

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:32 AM

I have a 6SE and Evo 8/9.25. The Evo 8 has the best combination of portability and aperture. I have also put the C8 on the SE mount with no problems. If portability is your primary goal, I would get the 8SE.

Not primary, just one factor - and with the 6 and 8 at least, weight of the mount isn't really a factor, it's how much space it would take up. It looks like the SE mount and Evo mount would take up about the same size.  

Harry

#12 hboswell

hboswell

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:25 PM

The Evo mount has an internal battery.  I've got an external battery that I use with my 6SE - would I be able to use it with an Evo mount if needed?

Harry

#13 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:42 PM

The Evo mount has an internal battery.  I've got an external battery that I use with my 6SE - would I be able to use it with an Evo mount if needed?

Yes.  Just plug it in.

• hboswell and GazingOli like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics