•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thoughts on your 9mm Nagler

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:00 PM

Hello.,How do you like your 9mm Nagler?.,Anything you don't like?.,.What scope's do you use it in ?.,Thank you for your replies.,

#2 Frenchy

Frenchy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Battle Ground, WA

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:35 PM

Type 1 or Type 6? I have a t6 and it does it's job. Nothing I can say that I don't like about it. Some will think the 12mm eye relief is too short, isn't an issue for me and eye placement isn't critical. I do miss my 10mm delos, I traded it for another nagler. I will get another though at some point because it is just such a fine piece of glass. Nagler set is as complete as I need it to be although I wouldn't mind a 26mm t5 lol. I will have to move on to collecting some delos and delites. Scope is a 12" lightbridge.

• clearwaterdave and Tyson M like this

#3 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:43 PM

I'm looking at the type 6.,Thanks for your reply.,

• Frenchy likes this

#4 Keith NC

Keith NC

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Guilford County North Carolina

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:47 PM

I have all the T6’s.  Only the 13mm sees more time in the scope than the 9mm.  Like Frenchy I have no problem with the eye relief.

hope your experience with it will be as favorable as mine

• clearwaterdave likes this

#5 f74265a

f74265a

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:24 PM

I like it, but the 13 and 5mm t6s are preferred by me in my tv85. For me, the 5 and 13 give me the best results of the t6s. All the t6s excel in afov, weight and form factor.
To be honest, at this focal length I gravitate toward the 10 Delos or 9 delite. Both are sharper— in my view the delite and Delos image quality is generally better than the t6 series. Of course less afov with those other series and significant weight difference for the Delos.
  • clearwaterdave and jeffmac like this

#6 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

The T6 are amazing eyepieces.  Hard not to love them, if you can get by on the eyerelief.  Huge fov, light weight and small size, sharp eyepieces.

• Scott in NC, Jeff Bennett, payner and 3 others like this

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:40 PM

The T6 are amazing eyepieces.  Hard not to love them, if you can get by on the eyerelief.  Huge fov, light weight and small size, sharp eyepieces.

+1

I had a 9mm T1 for a while.  I did a comparison between my T1 and a fellow observer's T6 during TSP one year.  Between the two of us we decided optically the T1 and T6 were close (I can't remember if the T1 had eye placement difficulties like the 13mm T1 does).  I liked the smaller size and lighter weight of her T6 though, and sold my T1 to buy a T6 when I returned from TSP.

I used the N9T6 with my C11 for years as my go-to high magnification eye piece.  That and my 17mm Nagler and 40mm Optiluxe occupied my diagonal 95% of the time.  I still have my 9mm Nagler, but I don't use it much anymore because I don't use that focal length with my current most-used scopes.

• Scott in NC and clearwaterdave like this

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:36 PM

I did not like the overall performance of my Nagler 9 (T6).  I flipped mine out for a Radian 10, followed by a Delos 10. 

#9 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 21 June 2021 - 09:24 PM

I have a 9mm type 1, and it’s a keeper.  I guess I’m in the minority here, but a few years ago I compared it with a 9mm type 6 and decided to keep the type 1.  I can’t recall if I compared them side by side or not out under the skies, so can’t comment on any differences in light throughput or edge correction.  But I definitely preferred the immersiveness related to the large eye lens on the type 1, and also liked the fact that it can be used in either a 2” or 1.25” focuser.

• chemisted and clearwaterdave like this

#10 Tropobob

Tropobob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cairns Australia

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:22 PM

I sold my 9mm Nagler type 6 and purchased a 9mm DelLite, which gave a sharper image in my refractors.  I kept a 11mm Nagler though, as it was more of a medium magnification with my scopes and I liked the large field of view. 

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:40 PM

I have all the T-6 Naglers except the 2.5 mm.

For my purposes, they're very good eyepieces, clean and sharp across the field. I really don't distinguish between them, in one scope, the 9 mm produces 313x with a 1.8 mm exit pupil, in another, 100x with a 1.2 mm exit pupil, the scope what decides.

Jon

#12 sopticals

sopticals

Apollo

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:18 AM

I have all the T6’s.  Only the 13mm sees more time in the scope than the 9mm.  Like Frenchy I have no problem with the eye relief.

hope your experience with it will be as favorable as mine

My most used eyepieces are Nagler T6's: The 9T6 lives in my 10", and 13T6 abides likewise in my 12 1/2". They are certainly "good enough"

for an "old guy" like me.

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

• Jon Isaacs, clearwaterdave, jeffmac and 1 other like this

#13 Stonius

Stonius

Vostok 1

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:54 AM

I'll get caned for this, but I had a T6 and a Pentax XW 10mm and had to decide between the two. I found the Pentax to be slightly more contrasty, so I let the Nagler go, but the difference was *so subtle it wouldn't have made any real difference if I'd done the reverse.

Markus

• havasman, clearwaterdave and Miranda2525 like this

#14 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:16 PM

I did not like the overall performance of my Nagler 9 (T6).  I flipped mine out for a Radian 10, followed by a Delos 10. 

That's interesting.  Not weird, but interesting.  What about the Radian and Delos did you prefer to the Nagler?

I have a 9mm type 1, and it’s a keeper.  I guess I’m in the minority here, but a few years ago I compared it with a 9mm type 6 and decided to keep the type 1.  I can’t recall if I compared them side by side or not out under the skies, so can’t comment on any differences in light throughput or edge correction.  But I definitely preferred the immersiveness related to the large eye lens on the type 1, and also liked the fact that it can be used in either a 2” or 1.25” focuser.

That dual skirt is something I don't like.  I think it's silly.  But then I think ranting about barrel undercuts is also silly.

I'll get caned for this, but I had a T6 and a Pentax XW 10mm and had to decide between the two. I found the Pentax to be slightly more contrasty, so I let the Nagler go, but the difference was *so subtle it wouldn't have made any real difference if I'd done the reverse.

Markus

Caned?  Why caned.  There are several Cloudy Nights members who prefer Pentax to Tele Vue.  I think that's why so many have them: it's hard to go wrong with either.

• Scott in NC, clearwaterdave and Stonius like this

#15 f74265a

f74265a

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:39 PM

Markus

I’m not surprised by this result.
10xw has great contrast. Not sure if it is the optics, the greatly superior eye cup vs the 9mm nagler t6, or a combination, that give the 10xw such nice contrast
  • clearwaterdave and Stonius like this

#16 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:07 PM

I've been using a 9mm T1 Nagler for 30 years. I auditioned a T6, kept the T1. I use it with every scope I own, certainly in the top 15% of use among all my eyepieces. 9mm DeLite gives slightly more contrast but with 20 fewer degrees of AFOV. The Pentax 10mm is inferior to the DeLite in contrast with still 12° less field than the Nagler, so it never gets pulled. I keep my Pentax XW set around for guests. The only 9-10mm eyepiece I like more is the 90° Takahashi UW 10mm, but depending on scope, 9-10mm is borderline in exit pupil for my astigmatism. Since the Nagler can accept DioptRx and the Tak cannot, it most often gets the nod for widefield at that focal length. Plus, into it for 30 years, the N9T1 provides a view that is instantly familiar and just snaps in.

Phil

• Scott in NC, Kutno and clearwaterdave like this

#17 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:53 PM

I had both the T1 and T6 for a while. In every comparison between the two, I felt they could be exactly the same lenses in two different barrels. Everything about them visually was the same to my eyes. I sold off the bulky T1.

I later replaced my 9T6 with an XW10, same as Markus, and nobody caned me!

#18 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:01 PM

... Plus, into it for 30 years, the N9T1 provides a view that is instantly familiar and just snaps in.

Phil

The 4.8mm, 7mm and 9mm Nagler Type 1s do have a snap to focus that is one of their endearing characteristics. 

#19 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:37 PM

I had a T1 9mm for many years. Good eyepiece that saw a good amount of use. I think I replaced it with a 10XW, which I thought was brighter. I have a 10 Delos now, and the old 9mm T1 would not be able to keep up with it. 

• havasman and clearwaterdave like this

#20 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:11 AM

I once owned a 9mm Nagler Type 1, which was replaced by a Type 6 a number of years later.  I sold the Type 6 too some years ago and now use a 9mm Explore Scientific 100-degree eyepiece or 8 or 10mm Tele Vue Delos eyepieces in its place.

• ckwastro and clearwaterdave like this

#21 cst4

cst4

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:05 AM

The 9mm T6 was the first Nagler I ever looked through and I instantly loved it... now I own the full line of T6's along with the 16mm T5 and 24mm Panoptic.  This makes a great lightweight, parfocal, high quality set that works in all of my scopes.

But that being said, I prefer my 9mm Morpheus over the 9mm T6.  Never tried the 10mm XW.  As much as I like all the T6's, I prefer EP's with longer eye relief.  I think my old 8.8mm Meade 4000 UWA is a great EP as well.

• clearwaterdave and stevenrjanssens like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics