•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telrad, riser, and weights, oh my!

Equipment Beginner Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Csbwsb

Csbwsb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 10:20 AM

Unfortunately, there are no suitable counter weights for children... Just time. LOL  laugh.gif

More to the fact of learning to counter a pregnant body and weight distribution. Too much in one place tips a girl (or telescope) over. lol.gif Although, my now twenty something child is in Ohio Natl guard and carries around backpacks full of weights, and I find that amusing. He is also now learning about weight distribution when it comes to packing. Go Army!  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#27 Csbwsb

Csbwsb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 10:36 AM

I don't know how much of a DIYer you are but there are lots of things you can build on your own for a scope. It you want to save some money on the dew shield you can make a simple one from the foam cosplayer use for costumes. I made one a few years ago and have never had dew on the Telrad.

http://www.homebuilt...dDewShield.html

Either way, enjoy your new scope!

Another can of worms has been opened. I've not seen a Rigel before! 

I half think I'm going to get the Rigel now. it's already got some height, and comes with a dew shield, all in one package deal? 

Quick vote for the favorite finder. Telrad or Rigel? 

#28 NearVision

NearVision

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:10 AM

I've got both. The Telrad is on a LX200 8" and the Rigel is on a ETX125. It might be that I use the 8" more but I find the Telrad sight just slightly easier to see the field. The Rigel is much smaller and lighter but that shouldn't be a problem on a DOB that size. As far as the height difference? There isn't much. When you set them beside each other the actual target is about the same height the biggest difference is the length of the Telrad and a little bit more width. I think the Telrad may be easier for me because of that extra width. It's not much but it is there. One thing I do like about the Rigel is that the blink option is built-in instead of an add-on on the Telrad. I sometimes use it so that there are short periods without the display to see dimmer objects while centering.

#29 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: San Fernando Valley, California

Posted 26 June 2021 - 06:41 AM

Telrad for your Dob? Great choice! But I'm slightly biased. I own two. I knew its creator and manufacturer Steve Kufeld. His passing in 1997 was a great loss to amateur astronomy and to me, his personal friend. (See picture of him attached.)

Attached Thumbnails

• LAAS - KUFELD, STEVE & TELRAD.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, kfiscus, Napp and 1 other like this

#30 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:03 AM

Telrad for your Dob? Great choice! But I'm slightly biased. I own two. I knew its creator and manufacturer Steve Kufeld. His passing in 1997 was a great loss to amateur astronomy and to me, his personal friend. (See picture of him attached.)

Any Telrad thread requires a link to Lew's "The Telrad Story from an Insider."

It's a classic piece of history, Lew was there with Steve Kufeld at a surplus store when Steve spied a military reflex sight and had the inspiration for the Telrad.

https://www.cloudyni...rom-an-insider/

As far as which I prefer. Lew has two Telrads, I have five. I've owned a Rigel and it was OK but the Telrad just works better. The 4 degree calibrated reticule is nice. It's easier to pick up and it's possible to see the entire reticule from several feet away, a nice thing with a ladder scope. The Telrad mount is more robust..

StellarVue finder on 22 inch.jpg

Jon

• Napp and FoxIslandHiker like this

#31 Csbwsb

Csbwsb

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:23 PM

I am sorry your friend Steve passed. And more sad I didnt know he was the inventor. I knkw hw would be pleased with my purchase and astro interest, as well as all the help this group provides. Thanks for sharing!

Carrie

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Beginner, Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics