•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is this sensor tilt or something else?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mr1337

mr1337

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:25 PM

Trying to start using my 70mm Meade Quad with the ASI2600 and noticed the stars are a bit wonky in the corners... I'm familiar with having an out of collimation SCT or backfocus issues but I didn't think the petzval design would be inlcined to have the same backfocus problems.

ngc7538_lion_70mm_01_sho_mosaic.jpg

Should I be adjusting tilt to help correct?

Thanks!

Mathew

#2 ew22

ew22

Explorer 1

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:30 PM

I am not an expert and recently am suspecting i have a tilt issue, but i would try adjust spacing first in your case.  

#3 Gert

Gert

Messenger

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:38 PM

Hi Mathew,

I've seen similar with ASI2600MC and the canon 200mm F2.8 lens.

Antares_Nebel_v4_corners.jpg

The following helped me

• Carefully removing the tilt plate from the camera and inspecting if it was attached properly. I found a small spec of debris that was caught between camera body and the tilt plate and removed it.
  • Carefully feeling the tapped holes in the camera body for any rims or burrs. I thought I felt some and covered the camera opening with tape and used a small flat key file to remove the burrs. Same for the tilt plate.
  • Taking test exposures and adjusting the tilt plate.

Cheers,

Gert

#4 mr1337

mr1337

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:04 AM

Thanks all - will give it a shot and report back.

#5 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:29 AM

With the Petzval design there is NO spacing requirement. I have two Petzval scopes and all that you do or need to do is to focus them. So, in this case, either the scope is terrible or there's a combination of tilt, focusing and poor correction going on. If the spec says that is can cover an APS-C chip and it's a new scope, I'd be sending it back after doing a bit of further checking. Don't hold onto it beyond the time when it can be returned. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics