•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX600 Opinions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jcannady

jcannady

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Danielsville, GA

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:38 PM

I'm interested in a 14 inch LX600 but I'd like to hear any feedback from owners.  I've owned a LX200 (12 inch) but I'm not familiar with the LX600.  Any thoughts, reviews, etc, would be appreciated.

Jim

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:53 PM

I don't have an LX600, but do have an LX200 16" that comes apart similarly(along with 2 other LX200s).  

From the experiences I've read most knowledgable owners of LX600 are pretty satisfied with everything. Complaints rarely concern the optics themselves or the modular nature of the LX600. The essential change from the LX200 are of course the modular component setup, the F/8 optics with internal focuser, and the Starlock system. It seems other than a few unusual occurences the LX600 is as stable as the LX200, which I would expect given the pedigree of the LX200 going back so many years.  I think there was one OTA that had an optical issue, maybe a couple warranty board failures, but othewise it seems mainly the Starlock learning curve that gets a few owners.  

It seems most of the issues discussed revolve with Starlock and more often it's either user error or lack of understanding how the Starlock system functions.  You can read in this forum the several threads on the Starlock 'issues' being discussed.  Often issues can be traced to 3 things:  cable issues; out of focus Starlock; or misunderstanding how Starlock operates or how to properly utilize it's functions. 

• dcaponeii likes this

#3 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:36 PM

I don't have an LX600, but do have an LX200 16" that comes apart similarly(along with 2 other LX200s).  

From the experiences I've read most knowledgable owners of LX600 are pretty satisfied with everything. Complaints rarely concern the optics themselves or the modular nature of the LX600. The essential change from the LX200 are of course the modular component setup, the F/8 optics with internal focuser, and the Starlock system. It seems other than a few unusual occurences the LX600 is as stable as the LX200, which I would expect given the pedigree of the LX200 going back so many years.  I think there was one OTA that had an optical issue, maybe a couple warranty board failures, but othewise it seems mainly the Starlock learning curve that gets a few owners.  

It seems most of the issues discussed revolve with Starlock and more often it's either user error or lack of understanding how the Starlock system functions.  You can read in this forum the several threads on the Starlock 'issues' being discussed.  Often issues can be traced to 3 things:  cable issues; out of focus Starlock; or misunderstanding how Starlock operates or how to properly utilize it's functions. 

I can ditto the above comments.  I've had my 12" LX600 for about 20 months now and it's been a solid scope.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 28 June 2021 - 03:39 PM

I'm interested in a 14 inch LX600 but I'd like to hear any feedback from owners.  I've owned a LX200 (12 inch) but I'm not familiar with the LX600.  Any thoughts, reviews, etc, would be appreciated.

Jim

Well, other than the obvious--this is a scope that needs a permanent observatory....

I would be extremely hesitant to buy anything even remotely expensive from Meade until it's clear how things are going to pan out.

#5 Neptune

Neptune

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:28 PM

Well, other than the obvious--this is a scope that needs a permanent observatory....

I would be extremely hesitant to buy anything even remotely expensive from Meade until it's clear how things are going to pan out.

Uncle Rod,

How about now that Orion bought out Meade.   I was looking at a used 14" LX600 ACF.  It supposed to be in working condition now, but I'm left wondering what the future holds for chip boards if one goes bad.

David

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:46 PM

It's likely going to be fall before we get solid answers on replacement component availability.  But guess what, that's across the board for every electronics based product out there.  

Right now I'm hearing many companies are now rethinking the whole 'just-in-time' concept and returning to the warehousing of products.  As our hobby is niche in the electronics arena it doesn't have a lot of sway in replacement inventory. 

However there is a bright spot in this, the LX200 GPS/ACF telescope components will fit the LX600 only the Starlock component will become non-functional.  So if a board were to go south, an LX200 could be used while the original board is getting repaired by a service like MeadeMods.  And there seem to be at least those components available. 

• David Mercury likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics