•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is CCD Inspector the best software of its kind? (Tnx for any help you can give)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:07 PM

Quick question: If I'm looking for a piece of software -- or a website -- that helps me analyze my "live" camera view (an ASI2600MC Pro staring down the throat of an 8-inch RASA channeled into SharpCap Pro) as real-time as possible, is CCD Inspector the best of its kind to help me out? Or should I be looking at some other peer application or website. My goal is to determined if/when I've reached proper back-focus and adjust for any/all "tilt" issues. As you might already know, the critical focus zone for a RASA is said to be (literally) around 11 microns deep. Gulp. So far, suffice it to say, I haven't found those 11 microns. For perspective, that's less than half the width of a typical human hair. I need some serious help. : )

Thank you SO much for any advice you can give.

Doug

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:16 AM

I've been using CCD Inspector for about 10 years. What I find is that the numbers only make sense if you are meticulous about being in focus on your images. So, that's the first thing. The second thing is that to get a good handle on tilt you need to take a series of short exposures and then analyze them together. That eliminates any seeing effects. Finally, make sure that you get a lot of stars or the analysis is not so hot. With these things in mind, I don't know a better way to get at tilt while actually imaging.

Rgrds-Ross

• EmeraldHills and dghent like this

#3 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:53 AM

OK - Thanks Ross. Those are helpful. Unless you or someone thinks otherwise, I guess I'll spring for the $150 or so then. Again, thanks.

I've been using CCD Inspector for about 10 years. What I find is that the numbers only make sense if you are meticulous about being in focus on your images. So, that's the first thing. The second thing is that to get a good handle on tilt you need to take a series of short exposures and then analyze them together. That eliminates any seeing effects. Finally, make sure that you get a lot of stars or the analysis is not so hot. With these things in mind, I don't know a better way to get at tilt while actually imaging.

Rgrds-Ross

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:24 PM

I think that there's a free trial download. Check before you spend any money. Also read the documentation carefully before pulling the trigger. I'm mostly self taught and maybe I've missed something important.

Rgrds-Ross

• EmeraldHills likes this

#5 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:07 PM

You're right -- and we did the trial a couple of months ago. It looked good. Before investing the higher price tag (more than we spend on our primary imaging software), we figured we'd ask if there were any other equally-effective solutions. Thanks for the thought.

I think that there's a free trial download. Check before you spend any money. Also read the documentation carefully before pulling the trigger. I'm mostly self taught and maybe I've missed something important.

Rgrds-Ross

#6 lmclouth

lmclouth

Vostok 1

• Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:35 PM

ASTAP does check for tilt and off-axis -- and it's free.

https://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

You can try it and see how you like it and how "good" it is.

Lamar

Edited by lmclouth, 22 June 2021 - 02:35 PM.

• EmeraldHills and rgsalinger like this

#7 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:25 PM

Whoa... that would be AWESOME! I'll try it! THanks so much, Lamar!

Doug

#8 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:08 PM

I found the ASTAP documentation to be difficult to understand. Is there a tutorial somewhere about how to interpret the results beyond the two sentences that document the feature/function? 

I have some guesses about how it works but that's all I have. 

#9 lmclouth

lmclouth

Vostok 1

• Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:18 PM

This forum post talks about it.

https://www.cloudyni...ring-chip-tilt/

han.k (that did post #31 and others) is the author and from what I have found is very quick to respond to any questions you have about ASTAP.

Lamar

Edited by lmclouth, 22 June 2021 - 10:35 PM.

#10 han.k

han.k

ASTAP Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:27 AM

I have documented the "image (ccd) inspector here:

http://www.hnsky.org...p.htm#inspector

It is all based of HFD (~ FWHM) measurement of stars. If anything is unclear, please ask me directly.

Han

• EmeraldHills and bips3453 like this

#11 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:47 AM

It is all based of HFD (~ FWHM) measurement of stars. If anything is unclear, please ask me directly.

Han

Nicely documented. Thanks.

#12 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:55 AM

Han, this is amazing. Thank you for all the hard work you've done on this project, which now passes on to us an amazing blessing. Thank you!

Han

#13 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:28 AM

Yeah definitely key here is to refocus after every adjustment. It's repetitive. I switched back to the reducer from the 1.1x flattener on my setup last night, and my way of going about it is the following (Luminance filter, QHY600, imaging at f/4.5):

1. Focus

2. Take 5x 20s exposures at 2x2 bin (because CCD Inspector does not handle 60mp images well)

3. Drag FITS into CCD Inspector

4. Hit Measure All

5. Look at curve and 3D display

6. Make adjustment to my imaging train which has a Gerd Neumann CTU for tilt adjustment

7. Repeat

• EmeraldHills and John O'Grady like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics