•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New APM 6“ f/6 SD Apo design> need your all input

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:30 PM

Gerd Düring, our designer for the APM 6" F/8 doublet  will do some design Ideas. He say with FCD 100 and LAF53 as matching glas, we should come out with the 6" F/6 similar or slightly better

soon I will show some design ideas

This begs the question of how much better the APM 152/1200 ED could be, if equipped with FCD 100 and LAF53... 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• emilslomi likes this

#77 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:48 PM

I am struggling to see the VALUE in a 6" F6 refractor at the price level it will end to be with the inherent optical limitations. It will not be cheaper than the other 6" APM scope, rather with more expensive glass, I guess like more than $3,000.

Why spending this money, just for it to be a refractor ? Why not to go APM 152/1200 ED at slightly cheaper price ? Why rather not offer a PERFECT 8" F5 Quartz reflector with an IDEAL fan management and incorporated optical corrector (Markus has enough optical designer contacts) in a carbon fiber light tube.

Offer the

1/ reflector described above

2/ upgrade the APM 152/1200 ED as suggested by Thomas above

3/ split the APM 150 bino and offer an perfect correction  short f.l. "spective"

#78 Deadlake

Deadlake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:56 AM

I can see the value of a 6" F6, it would be great to have a light weight APO which cools fast and can be mounted on an EQ6 class mount. The main aim is to have a scope which works directly with Bino's I presume. The 6" F8 LZOS is around $10000, so having a wide field scope which is cheaper is a plus and I guess the aim.

To get the scopes weight down a light weight Kruppax tube could be used, is this something KUO could manufacture or would this require a bespoke tube fabrication? I'd avoid carbon tubes as the thermal properties are great for mirrors but not for lens/len cells used in refractors.

Have you considered a 4" F6  doublet scope which would also be great for wide field and light weight. I'm thinking something that could go on a scope tech zero mount  (less then 7 kg) and hence be transported to a dark site with ease where a SQM > 21.5 would make up for the aperture lose. The last scope I can think of like this was the Vixen 4" F6.5 made some years ago. 

• Jon_Doh likes this

#79 lwbehney

lwbehney

Vostok 1

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:52 PM

Gerd Düring, our designer for the APM 6" F/8 doublet  will do some design Ideas. He say with FCD 100 and LAF53 as matching glas, we should come out with the 6" F/6 similar or slightly better

soon I will show some design ideas

Hello Markus,

Looking at refractors merely from a seller's standpoint, I think fluorite is hot right now and has been for three years. Waiting lists for all the TEC and TAK DZ  refractors and likewise for the new Agema Optics too.  I would think about a fluorite doublet of any size you like. The demand is there, especially in any version > 100 mm. 

-Best Regards,

Larry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics