•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar travel well

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justfred

justfred

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:40 AM

We hitched up the trailer and made a trip out West this past May. We visited The Badlands in S. Dakota, Yellowstone in Wyoming, Mesa Verde in Colorado, and stayed with friends in Magdalena, N. Mexico. And the Questar 3.5 went with us.

It is dark out there! The springtime weather did not cooperate (clouds during the new moon and 9” of snow at the campground in West Yellowstone - no travel issues though. The roads were clear by lunch) Clear skies at Mesa Verde but a nearly full moon limited targets to carbon stars (UX Dra and T Lyr), doubles (Double Double, Algeiba), and color contrasting doubles(95 Her and Rasalgethi). And I did spend some time on Luna. 

Stargazing was secondary this trip. But we’re going back…. 👽

pics below are from the Morefield Campground inside Mesa Verde. 

Where have you taken your Questar?

Fred

A75A9A51-AFC5-4A33-8FA9-895F2CF7AD03.jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• 3F962259-54B5-41E5-BEB2-39F93132A9BD.jpeg

• davidmcgo, Bill Jensen, Mike Allen and 11 others like this

#2 edhuff

edhuff

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: PA/AZ

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:34 PM

We hitched up the trailer and made a trip out West this past May. We visited The Badlands in S. Dakota, Yellowstone in Wyoming, Mesa Verde in Colorado, and stayed with friends in Magdalena, N. Mexico. And the Questar 3.5 went with us.

It is dark out there! The springtime weather did not cooperate (clouds during the new moon and 9” of snow at the campground in West Yellowstone - no travel issues though. The roads were clear by lunch) Clear skies at Mesa Verde but a nearly full moon limited targets to carbon stars (UX Dra and T Lyr), doubles (Double Double, Algeiba), and color contrasting doubles(95 Her and Rasalgethi). And I did spend some time on Luna. 

Stargazing was secondary this trip. But we’re going back…. 👽

pics below are from the Morefield Campground inside Mesa Verde. 

Where have you taken your Questar?

Fred

attachicon.gifA75A9A51-AFC5-4A33-8FA9-895F2CF7AD03.jpeg

Great setup! How is your Questar stabilized?

#3 justfred

justfred

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:50 PM

The scope was rock solid on the Tristand. Polar alignment was easy using the offset method. And the setting circles and Powerguide 2 put objects in the FOV each time. We kept the case upright in the backseat floorboard while traveling. Left plenty of room for all the souvenirs we (she) brought home…

Fred

• Mike Allen, JamesMStephens and edhuff like this

#4 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:15 PM

That sounds like a fantastic trip!  I only have had my Q to dark skies once since I almost always opt for the 15” Obsession but the simple and hassle free view can be fun and a lot more relaxing.  I give up a lot of creature comforts to fit the big telescope in a small SUV.

Great trailer too!

Dave

• Terra Nova likes this

#5 justfred

justfred

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:48 AM

Thanks, Dave. The trip was a lot of fun. Dark skies add “apparent inches” to the Q’s smaller aperture and its fun seeing just what its capable of.  Here in the Southeast we still have a few dark spots left in the mid to upper 21sqm range on a good night but the dry air in the West makes a noticeable difference in transparency. 

I’ll be heading out that way solo this fall for Okie-Tex and will have an 11” Starmaster as my “backup” scope.

The little travel trailer is a Casita. It has all the room you need…  and not one inch more. 

Fred

• Terra Nova likes this

#6 Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Messenger

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:53 AM

I also usually take an Obsession 15 to my favorite dark sky site at a state park, where the limiting naked eye magnitude is nearly magnitude 7.  Two years ago, before Covid, I took my Questar 89 mm.  To put it lightly, I had some jaw dropping views.  For example, the high contrast views of objects like dark nebulae B92 and B93 in the Sagittarius Star Cloud (M22), were unforgettable.  Pitch black, starless voids with sharply etched boundries in a super rich star field.  Great fun traveling with the Q.

• justfred and Terra Nova like this

#7 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Apollo

• Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:07 AM

I've been carrying my Questar on road trips the same way, upright in the back seat and bearing against one of the front seats for stability.  I've also set a foam pad under it, but be careful about stability if you do this.

Jim

Edited by JamesMStephens, 23 June 2021 - 02:28 PM.

• justfred likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics