•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help With Optimal Tube Specs. for Mod3 c

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CARL_MU1

CARL_MU1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Whitsett, North Carolina

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:18 AM

Recently placed order for a Mod3 C mount nvd ( filmless tube, white phosphorous w/ manual gain).  I'd like to know what are the best spec figures to request when talking to the vendor.  For example FOM , SNR, HALO, EBI, Resolution and other such specs.  I will of course request 0 blemishes in the tube. I believe their tubes meet a minimum standard for astronomy purposes, but I would appreciate experienced night vision users' input as to what they consider the best configuration for the best results based on my nvds features : filmless tube/white phosphorous/manual gain

Input would be appreciated.

#2 chemisted

chemisted

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:39 AM

Here is an example of a recent tube:

https://www.cloudyni...-for-astronomy/

Any of those numbers can change a bit and still result in an excellent device.

#3 maxmir

maxmir

Viking 1

• ***--

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:56 PM

FOM is based on SNR and resolution.  Do not buy based on FOM  Request actual specs

Minimum 

EBI 0.5 

SNR 34

Halo 0.7

Res 72  

zero blems

#4 tcc

tcc

Sputnik

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:32 PM

Minimum 

EBI 0.5 

SNR 34

Halo 0.7

Res 72  

zero blems

Tubes with these specs will be ideal. I just wondered if the vendor is able to obtain tubes with certain minimum specs. Given TNVC is quoting 20-24 weeks lead time, it seems supply is limited. And UNV no longer has a listing for Mod3C. Does it mean the Mod3C will soon be discontinued?

I am considering getting a Mod3C as a second NV device.  So, anyone that has purchased a Mod3C recently, could you share your purchase experience and your interaction with the vendor?

#5 R_Huntzberry

R_Huntzberry

Mariner 2

• Loc: North Florida Lat 30.30

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:38 PM

I placed my order with TNVC last July and received it in November. They are pretty accurate with their lead time estimates.

I spoke with Kristen at TNVC. She is well aware of the specs astronomers desire and marked my order as such. No need to demand a minimum set of specifications as that will just slow down the process.

For example, if you demand a tube with a 0.5 EBI and they receive a tube with all of your other requirements but a 0.6 EBI you'll be waiting until they receive their next shipment and hopefully they'll get a tube that meets your requirements. If not, wait until the next shipment, etc, etc,

My tube has almost identical specs as maxmir listed. My gain is 64,000 and some change.

Your tube may be a little higher or lower than what maxmir listed but it will be in the ballpark if you specify a 'astronomy graded tube' when you place your order.

Like chemisted said the numbers can change a bit up or down and you'll still have a excellent tube.

Spend the next 3 or 4 months while you wait on your tube to gather up all of the accessories you will need to make the Mod3c shine.

Filters, manual SLR lenses, adapters, reducers, ENVIS lens, TeleVue 67, etc...

I was able to purchase a NOS (new old stock) ENVIS lens on ebay. It took 3 months of diligent searching but I managed to obtain one.

P.S. I ordered the same tube as you (Mod3c, filmless white phosphor w/manual gain control)

Best regards,

Richard

#6 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:53 PM

FOM is based on SNR and resolution. Do not buy based on FOM Request actual specs

Minimum
EBI 0.5
SNR 34
Halo 0.7
Res 72
zero blems

This seems more optimal than minimum. 1.0 for EBI is usually minimum. 64 for resolution. 31 for SNR.

But those would be a very good spec tube.

#7 CARL_MU1

CARL_MU1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Whitsett, North Carolina

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:03 PM

Tubes with these specs will be ideal. I just wondered if the vendor is able to obtain tubes with certain minimum specs. Given TNVC is quoting 20-24 weeks lead time, it seems supply is limited. And UNV no longer has a listing for Mod3C. Does it mean the Mod3C will soon be discontinued?

I am considering getting a Mod3C as a second NV device.  So, anyone that has purchased a Mod3C recently, could you share your purchase experience and your interaction with the vendor?

TNVC is in fact who I ordered from.  I was told that they get a certain amount of tubes every couple of months and the lead times can vary depending on your desired level of options and if tubes don't meet your satisfaction. I was told that they do not upcharge for desired spec options.  All this should appear on the spec. sheet.  Still in the process of communicating with them. Sam Houston seems to be the guy that is familiar with night vision astronomy applications. He seemed pretty helpful and straight forward. I'm gaining more clarity in the process of getting this NVD. * Also * folks be aware that most NVD suppliers are not shipping their monoculars with an objective lens, you will have to obtain that.  The Mod3 with C Mount is with the mount --no objective lens provided as per TNVC.  I'm still learning my way through this process.  Hope I provided a little clarity.

PS : I asked if there was a possibility of Mod3 being discontinued -- not necessarily expecting a reliable answer --  Was told that they can assure the continuation of their products and tube supplies unless GOVT. regulations/legislations prohibited further sales of NVDS.

#8 tcc

tcc

Sputnik

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:01 PM

TNVC is in fact who I ordered from.  I was told that they get a certain amount of tubes every couple of months and the lead times can vary depending on your desired level of options and if tubes don't meet your satisfaction. I was told that they do not upcharge for desired spec options.  All this should appear on the spec. sheet.  Still in the process of communicating with them. Sam Houston seems to be the guy that is familiar with night vision astronomy applications. He seemed pretty helpful and straight forward. I'm gaining more clarity in the process of getting this NVD. * Also * folks be aware that most NVD suppliers are not shipping their monoculars with an objective lens, you will have to obtain that.  The Mod3 with C Mount is with the mount --no objective lens provided as per TNVC.  I'm still learning my way through this process.  Hope I provided a little clarity.

PS : I asked if there was a possibility of Mod3 being discontinued -- not necessarily expecting a reliable answer --  Was told that they can assure the continuation of their products and tube supplies unless GOVT. regulations/legislations prohibited further sales of NVDS.

Thanks for the info. Good to know TNVC is taking extra steps to meet customers' needs and also not charging more. I will get in touch with them.

One thing you might want to request (when they are ready to ship your device) is to have them assemble your Mod3C such that the manual gain knob does not protrude beyond the C-mount.

#9 maxmir

maxmir

Viking 1

• ***--

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:04 AM

AB night vision makes the the Mod3c. Other purchase from them.

I just bought a Mod3c housing from Nightline INC 1 week ago. The had no inventory when I ordered.

I had to weight 2 weeks extra for AB NV to manufacture a fresh run of Mod3c.

I tried to get a housing for TNVC but the did want to selling one separately.

It don't think the supply is limited. TNVC was just not interesting in suppling parts.

#10 maxmir

maxmir

Viking 1

• ***--

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:30 AM

I placed my order with TNVC last July and received it in November. They are pretty accurate with their lead time estimates.

I spoke with Kristen at TNVC. She is well aware of the specs astronomers desire and marked my order as such. No need to demand a minimum set of specifications as that will just slow down the process.

For example, if you demand a tube with a 0.5 EBI and they receive a tube with all of your other requirements but a 0.6 EBI you'll be waiting until they receive their next shipment and hopefully they'll get a tube that meets your requirements. If not, wait until the next shipment, etc, etc,

My tube has almost identical specs as maxmir listed. My gain is 64,000 and some change.

Your tube may be a little higher or lower than what maxmir listed but it will be in the ballpark if you specify a 'astronomy graded tube' when you place your order.

Like chemisted said the numbers can change a bit up or down and you'll still have a excellent tube.

Spend the next 3 or 4 months while you wait on your tube to gather up all of the accessories you will need to make the Mod3c shine.

Filters, manual SLR lenses, adapters, reducers, ENVIS lens, TeleVue 67, etc...

I was able to purchase a NOS (new old stock) ENVIS lens on ebay. It took 3 months of diligent searching but I managed to obtain one.

P.S. I ordered the same tube as you (Mod3c, filmless white phosphor w/manual gain control)

Best regards,

Richard

Then you will be quite happy with a  1.3 EBI, SNR 29, 3 blem tube the dealer sends you one. 

The minimums I specified are not that hard to meet. I doubt your are likely to a get a tube faster if they choose for you.

If you are going for unicorns then it could add months.

If you find an immediately available tube with slightly worse specs it may be worth the trade off.

I got my PVS14 with immediate delivery from Ben at Kosher Surplus

He had an choice of tubes. Some of the low EBI tubes had blems or 64lpr.

I ended up with very high quality tube.

Exceeded all the best specs except EBI was 0.6.  I rather not take a blem.

Ben at Kosher Surplus does not do Mod3c just PVS.

Sale and service are 10/10.

If your looking at a PVS-14 call and / or email him.

Only negative is the don't offer a tube 10 year warranty on the tube.

The standard tube is warranty is from L3s at 2 years.

( I imagine it would be very rare to collect on the warranty.

Most tube damage will be from shock or leaving the unit on.

These will not be covered )

Edited by maxmir, 23 June 2021 - 11:32 AM.

#11 maxmir

maxmir

Viking 1

• ***--

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:36 AM

I had paid the 50% deposit for a PVS 14 TVNC. 

I listed specs based on discussions from this forum.

I found the Kosher surplus shortly after that.

My buddy took over the deposit since I was two months in the wait.

If your price sensitive the Mod3 is about 200.00 more expensive and does not come with a lens.

I think TVNC can sell you a 25mm non mil spec C mount lens for 100 to 150 dollars more. 

There are a bunch clean used ones on ebay for much less.

I bought a 50mm Computar lens for about 50.00. I have a 25mm Computar lens too. T

hey are OK lens but not as well corrected as the PVS 14.

Personally I like the mod3C.  I have it mated to a 135mm Rokinon camera lens that I also use for astrophotography.

Stars are perfect across the field.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics