•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Getting More Data When Traveling

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, North Carolina - USA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:33 PM

Hello Friends!

I hope all of the Dads had a great Father's Day!

Quick question - I have to travel to my imaging site. Because of that, my acquisition time is limited. I recently imaged Western Veil Nebula. I'd like to get more data. Am I able to go back out and take more lights on another night or two and then stack two or three evenings of integration time? If so, how does that work?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Scott

#2 southerndandy

southerndandy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Uxbridge, MA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:37 PM

The general answer is yes, you can do that. 

To be more specific, we'd need more info- what equipment, acquisition software, and what processing software, for example. 

#3 qswat72

qswat72

Ranger 4

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:39 PM

Yep, it is pretty easy to image and integrate data over multiple nights. Your stacking software will likely have a process to do so, but the exact steps will be different for different softwares. Which are you using?

#4 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:58 PM

The general answer is yes, you can do that. 

To be more specific, we'd need more info- what equipment, acquisition software, and what processing software, for example. 

Hello and thank you for the quick response! Here's my setup, including software. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Orion 8" f3.9 Newtonian

Celestron CGX mount

Orion 62mm guide scope

ZWO120mini guide camera

QHY294C imaging camera

Explore Scientific coma corrector

CPWI software for locating targets

SharpCap for imaging and plate solving

PHD2 for guiding

Deep Sky Stacker

PixInsight

#5 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

Yep, it is pretty easy to image and integrate data over multiple nights. Your stacking software will likely have a process to do so, but the exact steps will be different for different softwares. Which are you using?

Hello and thank you for the quick response! Here's my setup, including software. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Orion 8" f3.9 Newtonian

Celestron CGX mount

Orion 62mm guide scope

ZWO120mini guide camera

QHY294C imaging camera

Explore Scientific coma corrector

CPWI software for locating targets

SharpCap for imaging and plate solving

PHD2 for guiding

Deep Sky Stacker

PixInsight

#6 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:00 PM

That's the beauty of AP, you can always add to the data you've taken previously.  I do this all the time.  It helps to make sure your framing of the subject is the same, or at least close.  Then you'll have to do global registration when stacking.

#7 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:07 PM

That's the beauty of AP, you can always add to the data you've taken previously.  I do this all the time.  It helps to make sure your framing of the subject is the same, or at least close.  Then you'll have to do global registration when stacking.

Thank you for your feedback! Is global registration done in Deep Sky Stacker, or in SharpCap?

#8 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:17 PM

Honestly now that I say that, DSS just does it for you.  I never have to select any special options in there.  I just add my latest light frames to the folder along with my previous lights and stack away.

I was referring specifically to Siril and having to use global registration there, but it makes you select a mode.

Not sure about SharpCap.

#9 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:17 PM

To minimize stacking artifacts you should frame your target the same way as the previous session.

Since it hasn't been mentioned you should cool the camera to the same temp and set the same Gain and offset as the previous session

As long as you don't change or rotate anything in your imaging train you can then use the same darks, flats and bias frames for the entire stack.

• sdeming likes this

#10 sdeming

sdeming

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:27 AM

To minimize stacking artifacts you should frame your target the same way as the previous session.

Since it hasn't been mentioned you should cool the camera to the same temp and set the same Gain and offset as the previous session

As long as you don't change or rotate anything in your imaging train you can then use the same darks, flats and bias frames for the entire stack.

Awesome! Thank you! I knew I had to have the camera settings the same, but didn't realize I could use all of the previous calibration frames. I know where my camera was, in regards to rotation, so that shouldn't be a problem. I also plate solved to get it centered, so that should also help. I appreciate your input!

#11 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:42 AM

Your AP game just got a whole lot better, Scott!  Best of luck.

• sdeming likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics