•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium slewing problem

Software Planetarium Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chefliam1000

chefliam1000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:16 PM

Hello fellow astronomers, I have come to the forums as I have depleted all other options.

I own an NEQ5 GoTo with a Skywatcher 72ED. I have connected the mount to my computer using an EQDIRECT cable.

I am trying to use stellarium with ascom and eqmod to slew the mount to a desired object. I have configured my scope using the “telescope control” plugin in stellarium. In the past I had successfully achieved slewing through stellarium.

The problem is that now, one month later, when opening stellarium and trying to slew the telescope to a selected object (using either the “slew telescope to” panel or the shortcut (control + 1)) the mount moves for a fraction of a second and then stops, stellarium freezes and then the scope indicator in stellarium slides quickly to the horizon, and EQMOD control panel displays “horizon limit horizon limit” error. (Let’s call this the “main failure mode”.)

Note that :

I can use EQMOD and slew the scope manually without problem.  If using it in tandem with stellarium, when I do so the scope indicator in stellarium moves without issue.

I have used the “resync encoders” button on EQMOD to establish the home position, but this does not affect the behavior.

I can use ascom device hub to slew the scope manually without a problem as well.

The main failure mode described above happens most of the time.  However, I sometimes get other erratic behavior in stellarium:

- Sometimes, when trying to slew the scope in stellarium, the mount moves for a second then stops (as described above), yet the scope    indicator in stellarium moves to the selected object not the horizon, then the mount starts to track (even though it has not yet slewed).

- Or, rarely, when trying to slew the scope in stellarium, the mount physically moves (seemingly to the object) and starts tracking, the        scope indicator moves to the selected object -- appearing to work normally.  But then, when trying to slew the scope a second time to      a  different object, it fails again as described in the main failure mode above.

I have tried disabling the mount limit in EQMOD, deleting sync data in EQMOD, and updating Window 10. Any suggestions on what to do next ? 

#2 Gary Z

Gary Z

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:24 PM

I know I have to use Stellarium Scope with Stellarium when using my Ioptron IEQ45 Pro.  While SS hasn't been updated in several years, it still works with the latest Stellarium.

Gary

#3 chefliam1000

chefliam1000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:44 PM

hmm, I think the last thing I can do is a fresh install of ascom ?

#4 KTAZ

KTAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:54 PM

Likely the best approach.

Many folks have had to re-install at one point or another. I use EQMOD, ASCOM, and Stellarium with a SkyWatcher mount with no problems at all.

You may also have a cable problem.

#5 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:58 PM

I see you posted the same request for help on the ASCOM forum. Given that your issues are not with the ASCOM libraries or interface standards, nor with the Platform itself, but with the combination of Stellarium and EQMOD, where to look first? The previous poster says that Stellarium talks to his iOptron just fine. The fact that Stellarium's ASCOM support "hasn't been updated in a few years" is a good thing... ASCOM is meant to be very stable.

More importantly, if there were a general problem with Stellarium talking to ASCOM's universal interfaces, the Stellarium developers would have a crowd with pitchforks and torches at their gate :-)  So via the use of Occam's Razor ("entities should not be multiplied without necessity", or loosely "the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one"), I'd suggest going to the EQMod Group to explain or diagnose the crazy behavior that your mount and its control system are exhibiting.

However someone else may be using Stellarium and EQMOD here and can tell you whether "it's broken" or not, allowing you to eliminate that possibility and focus on your specific setup. The previous poster says Stellarium and his iOptron work fine via ASCOM. so there's one Occam's Razor, and ASCOM libraries and interfaces are extremely widely used on all sorts of mounts etc, so there is another Occam's Razor. 

#6 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:05 PM

Install/reinstall of the Platform is an example of "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". Start with the cable as @KTAZ says. Also based on the historical instances on the ASCOM Talk Help forum where people have used uninstall/reinstall cycles as a troubleshooting tool, I can safely say that will likely have no effect, and has a small chance of causing other problems depending on what you mean by "uninstall".

#7 chefliam1000

chefliam1000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:11 PM

How could I eliminate the possibility of the problem being caused by the wire except buying a new one. For refence, I am using a Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB.

https://www.firstlig...eq8-mounts.html

Edited by chefliam1000, 22 June 2021 - 02:11 PM.

#8 chefliam1000

chefliam1000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

Also thank you for the advice, I will check the EQMOD forum. 

• Bob Denny likes this

#9 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:30 PM

What are you asking? Go buy another wire waytogo.gif . Or ask on the EQMod group why the control system might act like that? My guess is they too will suggest you check the obvious: cables, USB hub, its power supply...

Edited by Bob Denny, 22 June 2021 - 02:30 PM.

#10 KTAZ

KTAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:30 PM

How could I eliminate the possibility of the problem being caused by the wire except buying a new one. For refence, I am using a Lynx Astro FTDI EQDIR USB.

https://www.firstlig...eq8-mounts.html

Pick up one similar to this from Amazon (if you are US based): https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B07HL2Z741

Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy if it turns out to make no difference. But even if you kept it, $15 is pretty cheap to remove a possibility before spending a few hours reinstalling and reconfiguring a lot of software and drivers.

The symptoms sound a lot like a cable issue.

Edited by KTAZ, 22 June 2021 - 02:31 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software, Planetarium, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics