•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

No idea where to start!

Beginner DIY Equipment Eyepieces Meade Optics
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AlainnSolas

AlainnSolas

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:06 PM

My girls and I found this telescope being discarded at a Habitat for Humanity store. For a scant $15 we figured it was worth a chance to see if it was still functional. However, we have no idea what the model is or how to go about getting the necessary equipment to get her working. Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 79A19286-449C-4642-A197-CFB8C59817BA.jpeg

• Jim Davenport and teashea like this

#2 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:26 PM

I'm fairly sure it's a Meade DS 2130 AT

here's a link to one on Amazon for you to compare to:

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B0009308CI

and here's a link to the manual.

https://www.meade.co...2000_manual.pdf.

Start by wiping own the outside of all the parts (you don't want to get dirty !)

Don't mess with the mirrors at this point.

Then use the manual to tell you what goes where.  try to find an eyepiece (I don't see one in the pics)   if you don't have one, it's not a disaster, just let us know and we can help9 BTW where are you?  Local astronomers would probably be a good resource for you)

If you can find an eyepiece then try to point it at a distant tree or hilltop & focus.  If you can see something you can take it from there.

Try the moon tonight if you can.

IF it works, then post  picture down the tube of the mirror and we can see what needs to happen next.

let us know how you get on.

Edited by Taosmath, 22 June 2021 - 04:27 PM.

• Bill Jensen, sevenofnine and teashea like this

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 22 June 2021 - 04:28 PM

Looks like a Meade DS-2130  reflector; here is a link to the manual.

Edit: I see someone just posted this info.

#4 teashea

teashea

Vanguard

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:23 PM

Do not hesitate to come back here and ask questions as you proceed.

• ram812 likes this

#5 AlainnSolas

AlainnSolas

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:00 PM

Thanks so much! I believe that it is indeed a DS-2130 long tube from looking around a bit more. No eyepiece was included and we had rain tonight, so no test run just yet. Hopefully I can try tomorrow and report something back. Where’s a good place to hunt down an eye piece if it seems like it’s in salvageable shape?

#6 AlainnSolas

AlainnSolas

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:01 PM

Also, I’m located in Tampa, Florida.

#7 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:37 PM

There are zillions of places to buy ep's (e.g in the classifieds here, ebay, Amazon etc.)  However  I have two basic eyepieces - a 20mm and (I think) a 10mm I can send you.

If you try them and they get you started and you want to keep them, then just send me the postage cost.  If you don't want them or the scope doesn't work for you, just mail them back to me.

If that seems useful to you,  send me a private message with your postal address on it (don't post your address here)& I'II  mail them to you on Thursday.

To send me a message click on my name at the top left of this post and my profile will come up.  At the top right of the profile is send a message.

If you prefer to buy your own ep's, then look here on the classifieds. Try searching for 'kellner' ( Old style, very basic eyepieces but usable) and don't pay more than about $15 each. try to get one in the 20-25,mm range and one around 10mm.

this looks like a decent deal:

https://www.cloudyni...-25mm-9-mm-eps/

Edited by Taosmath, 22 June 2021 - 11:44 PM.

• AlainnSolas likes this

#8 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:22 AM

If the mirrors are in good shape, you can put it on a different mount if you find the electronics are not any good.  A dob mount is easy to build and would work well with that scope.

#9 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:47 PM

How to build a Dobsonian Mount for a Newtonian Reflector Optical Tube

https://www.skyatnig...obsonian-mount/

https://www.scopemak...bson/dobson.htm

https://10minuteastr...inch-telescope/

#10 Jim Davenport

Jim Davenport

Viking 1

• Loc: Seminole Fl

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:38 PM

Also, I’m located in Tampa, Florida.

I'm across the bay in Seminole, But I'm getting ready to have surgery.

There's a great member, "Clusterbuster"(Mark). That lives in Tampa.

Look him up, and PM him. Tell him Jim Referred you.. He'll be very helpful. Also we belong to a dark site "FOO", great people. I'm sure Mark Would be happy to invite you out there.

• brentknight likes this

#11 AlainnSolas

AlainnSolas

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:53 PM

There are zillions of places to buy ep's (e.g in the classifieds here, ebay, Amazon etc.) However I have two basic eyepieces - a 20mm and (I think) a 10mm I can send you.

If you try them and they get you started and you want to keep them, then just send me the postage cost. If you don't want them or the scope doesn't work for you, just mail them back to me.

If that seems useful to you, send me a private message with your postal address on it (don't post your address here)& I'II mail them to you on Thursday.

To send me a message click on my name at the top left of this post and my profile will come up. At the top right of the profile is send a message.

If you prefer to buy your own ep's, then look here on the classifieds. Try searching for 'kellner' ( Old style, very basic eyepieces but usable) and don't pay more than about $15 each. try to get one in the 20-25,mm range and one around 10mm.

this looks like a decent deal:
https://www.cloudyni...-25mm-9-mm-eps/

Thank you so much! I think we’ll take you up on that very generous offer. I’ll message you my details shortly.

#12 AlainnSolas

AlainnSolas

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:54 PM

How to build a Dobsonian Mount for a Newtonian Reflector Optical Tube

https://www.skyatnig...obsonian-mount/

https://www.scopemak...bson/dobson.htm

https://10minuteastr...inch-telescope/

Thank you! The girls are super excited for our new project.

#13 AlainnSolas

AlainnSolas

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:56 PM

I'm across the bay in Seminole, But I'm getting ready to have surgery.
There's a great member, "Clusterbuster"(Mark). That lives in Tampa.
Look him up, and PM him. Tell him Jim Referred you.. He'll be very helpful. Also we belong to a dark site "FOO", great people. I'm sure Mark Would be happy to invite you out there.

Thanks, Jim! Once we get the scope a bit more situated (or find ourselves stuck) I’ll definitely reach out. Even if we have no luck with this, I probably will anyway just to get acquainted and learn a good place to start.

#14 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 24 June 2021 - 10:56 PM

Thank you so much! I think we’ll take you up on that very generous offer. I’ll message you my details shortly.

PM sent about the package I've sent.

I can't tell for sure, but from the pictures it looks like you might be missing the eyepiece adapter, which is part 'F' in diagram   7b  on P5 in the manual.

It also looks like you have diagonal, which is weird for a reflector.

Can you take a pic of all the pieces you have laid out in a line so that we can see exactly what you've got?  I'm especially interested in the triangular looking part to the right of the autostar controller in the first pic, which I suspect might be a part of a diagonal(with an eyepiece in it).

#15 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 25 June 2021 - 07:59 AM

PM sent about the package I've sent.

I can't tell for sure, but from the pictures it looks like you might be missing the eyepiece adapter, which is part 'F' in diagram   7b  on P5 in the manual.

It also looks like you have diagonal, which is weird for a reflector.

Can you take a pic of all the pieces you have laid out in a line so that we can see exactly what you've got?  I'm especially interested in the triangular looking part to the right of the autostar controller in the first pic, which I suspect might be a part of a diagonal(with an eyepiece in it).

I'm thinking that "diagonal" is part of a finder scope. 

• Taosmath likes this

#16 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 25 June 2021 - 10:53 AM

I'm thinking that "diagonal" is part of a finder scope. 

Looking again, I think you might be right.  I thought the scope came with a straight through finder, but it looks like there might be two finders in the pic - I think I can see two finder brackets and maybe the central straight tube is the body of a second finder ripped off of the 'diagonal'.

'Enquiring minds want to know' (or at least I do).

Still don't see an eyepiece adapter ring for the end of the focuser  though.

• aeajr likes this

#17 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:07 AM

Looking again, I think you might be right.  I thought the scope came with a straight through finder, but it looks like there might be two finders in the pic - I think I can see two finder brackets and maybe the central straight tube is the body of a second finder ripped off of the 'diagonal'.

'Enquiring minds want to know' (or at least I do).

Still don't see an eyepiece adapter ring for the end of the focuser  though.

That is a concern.  I see the silver draw tube.  There should be a collar on the top of that tube.   You won't be able to put an eyepiece in the focuser that way. And it is not something you would normally take off the focuser.  Hopefully you have it among the pieces and parts.

Take a look at the focuser on this tabletop as an example.  You can see where the eyepiece would sit and there is a locking screw to hold the eyepiece in. 

https://www.amazon.c...156975232&psc=1

That is your number 1 problem to solve.  I hope you have it in the pile as I am not sure where you would buy one.   Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by aeajr, 25 June 2021 - 11:11 AM.

#18 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 25 June 2021 - 01:06 PM

That is a concern.  I see the silver draw tube.  There should be a collar on the top of that tube.   You won't be able to put an eyepiece in the focuser that way. And it is not something you would normally take off the focuser.  Hopefully you have it among the pieces and parts.

Take a look at the focuser on this tabletop as an example.  You can see where the eyepiece would sit and there is a locking screw to hold the eyepiece in. 

https://www.amazon.c...156975232&psc=1

That is your number 1 problem to solve.  I hope you have it in the pile as I am not sure where you would buy one.   Anyone have any ideas?

I think I may have one my ATM parts collection, but it will depend upon the size of the draw tube.

For now, just to see if the scope is worth working on, you could get a 1/2"-3/4" thick piece of styrofoam or ethyl foam, cut a 1.25" hole in the center, cut the foam to fit in the draw tube, fit the eyepiece in the foam than squeeze it into the draw tube.

Yes the collimation will be horrible (and almost unadjustable) but that's a second order problem, and right now we're trying to solve the zeroth order problem of if the scope is any use at all.  If the scope works then you can try to track down the adapter ring or just buy a cheap used R&P focuser.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, DIY, Equipment, Eyepieces, Meade, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics