•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Missing NGC labels Cartes du Ciel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jbsheridan

jbsheridan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 05:39 PM

Hi there,

When I pull up a chart in CDC it shows Messier numbers and objects, and other objects, but not NGC labels anywhere.

How do I get the NGC labels to show on the chart.

The (Open NGC) button is clicked to on in Catalog Settings)

Thank you

Edited by jbsheridan, 22 June 2021 - 06:06 PM.

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:31 PM

Chart>Deep Sky Filter>More Deep Sky

Keep hitting More Deep Sky and all the NGC numbers will appear.

You may then have to adjust the label size.

#3 jbsheridan

jbsheridan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:05 PM

Hi Don!

Yes that did it, I just had to keep hitting More Deep Sky ... who would have guessed .....

But now my chart is overcrowded with all kinds of stuff, (specfifically the galaxy areas in Coma and Virgo) .

There must be a way to reduce the clutter but still keep some of the NGC labels and objects?

Thanks

Edited by jbsheridan, 22 June 2021 - 07:12 PM.

#4 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 22 June 2021 - 07:53 PM

Hi Don!

Yes that did it, I just had to keep hitting More Deep Sky ... who would have guessed .....

But now my chart is overcrowded with all kinds of stuff, (specfifically the galaxy areas in Coma and Virgo) .

There must be a way to reduce the clutter but still keep some of the NGC labels and objects?

Thanks

Set the catalogs you want displayed and set the magnitude limits.

#5 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:09 AM

There is a setting to control the number of object to show at a specific zoom level, this is what you change with the "More deep sky" button.

You can reset it or manage more finely using the menu Setup / Chart,coordinates then the tab Object filter.

Also remember that what you set here is limited by the catalogs currently in use.

Now the number of object on the chart that receive a label is also limited to prevent too much are displayed and overload the chart.

This is done by setting how brighter the object must be above the magnitude limit of the chart. For DSO the default is to plot a label for objects 4 magnitude brighter than the limit.

You can change this value from the menu Setup / Display at the tab Label, in column "Magnitude difference".

For example with the default value and a FOV of 20° it show DSO to magnitude 15 and plot a label for those brighter than 11.

But there is a special rule to always show the Messier label so there is some DSO label on the wider FOV.

Edited by Patrick Chevalley, 23 June 2021 - 03:10 AM.

• alphatripleplus likes this

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:49 AM

Nice explanation, Patrick.

#7 jbsheridan

jbsheridan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:05 PM

Thank you all so much for the answers and really detailed explanations. 

Really helpful, and interesting!

Edited by jbsheridan, 23 June 2021 - 01:07 PM.

#8 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:17 PM

One question:

How do I activate stars to about magnitude 17+?

And DSOs to that limit or fainter?

I presume that requires adding a catalog?

#9 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:44 PM

Yes the data provided with the base installer is limited to not make the download too big.

For star up to 17 I will only use GAIA now.

I have a page that explain the different options available https://www.ap-i.net.../news/gaia_edr3

The catalog specific for CdC is relatively big, about 9GB to download up to magnitude 18, and an additional 39GB to mag 21. This is because I include the star number, 3 photometric band, the proper motion, parallax and radial velocity.

If you not need all this details about the stars you can use the catalogs prepared by Han Kleijn that are smaller because they include a single magnitude, color index, and position with proper motion pre-computed for 2025. 

For example for visual use the V17 catalog is interesting, it go to mag 17 with computed V magnitude. This is "only" a 695MB download.

For DSO there is an additional package near the bottom of the download page https://www.ap-i.net...art/en/download that add 7 catalogs for cluster, planetary, dark and bright nebula, and 5 million galaxies from Hyperleda.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics