•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Painfully beginner question about T-rings

Beginner Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 omegaci

omegaci

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:00 PM

completely new and just trying to assemble my setup for the first time.

I have a William optics redact 51 and a Celestron #93419 T-ring. The T-ring comes with an inner 42mm ring easily removed by loosening set screws. 

With the T-ring on the camera the threads from the telescope aren't long enough to reach the threaded part of the adapter. What am I missing? Other than I should have sprung for the $32 WO version.

IMG_1428.jpg

#2 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:05 PM

You aren't missing anything. The T-ring you have does not clear this scope.The only way you could make it "work" is by adding a spacer that most likely will put the camera sensor too far back. I think your best bet is to order the WO one. 

That T-ring would fit a Celestron reducer just fine. 

Edited by idclimber, 22 June 2021 - 06:05 PM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 omegaci

omegaci

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 06:06 PM

You aren't missing anything. The T-ring you have does not clear this scope.The only way you could make it "work" is by adding a spacer that most likely will put the camera sensor too far back. I think your best bet is to order the WO one. 

That T-ring would fit a Celestron reducer just fine. 

ok, thank you. 

#4 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:00 AM

The rear thread of the Redcat is M48 I believe.

You have bought a M42 Canon T-Adapter.

Buy a M48 Canon T-Adapter

The M42 part you removed by loosening the 3 tiny screws should not be removed.

Either T-Adapter should look like this when on the camera, you have taken out the M42 part with the writing on it:

T_Adapter.png

#5 omegaci

omegaci

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

First, thank you for replying. To clarify the Celestron T-Ring adapter has both 42mm and 48mm threads. The redcat has the standard 48mm threads but there's only 3.88mm of those threads. when you remove the 42mm inner ring from the Celestron there's a 6mm gap, so to speak, until the 48mm threads start.
my local astro shop sold me a T-ring adapter, on the left, which does look like that, whose inner ring is 48mm.

thanks again for the help.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1437 (1).jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics