•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with the new solarmax III 90 double stack

Observing Report
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:07 PM

I received my new-to-me solar scope and was granted with sun (for an hour before it clouded out and had to go to work)!  It has been awhile since I was able to get out and observe, and should never have gotten rid of my hydrogen alpha scopes.  This one is staying. 

This Solarmax III has the new R & P focuser which I like better than the old helical focuser on the solarmax II.  It also has tube rings, which is different.   And apparent one can use this at night time too? Very cool.

One thing I found strange, is having a ton of backfocus.  I needed to use a tele vue 3.5" extension tube just to focus my eyepieces, in addition to almost racking out the focuser all the way and almost pulling out the long nose of the diagonal from the focuser a ways out.  Perhaps this was done for binoviewers? Or this gets chewed up a bit using a larger BF30?

The single stack views lacked surface details, but admittedly I wasnt sure I was even tuning it properly.  Proms were visible around the periphery though.  Double stack views though were amazing.  I knew how to tune it because one of the etatons looks identical to the picture in the manual and the tuning ring was labelled and with knurled ring in a yellow color.

Gongs view from Chile showed what I saw https://gong2.nso.ed...622205330Ch.jpg.

AR2833 was very nice with plage visible and a nice sunspot. A few filaments, the best one by the active region.  Some large proms on the top of the disk, one on each side.  The surface features were super contrasty, albeit a tad dim with the 18.2mm Delite and 17.5 Morpheus, but tolerable.  The 25mm tak abbe was fantastic, as was the 32mm brandon, but that required the most backfocus.

All in all, great first light.  The scope is right at home on my AZEQ6 which was fast to set up with tracking and tracked perfectly with the mount pointing rather crudely in the north direction somewhat by polaris but obviously had no idea how close or off I was.  

Here are some pics

20210622_151833.jpg

20210622_152035.jpg

• rigel123, Gray, Thomas Marshall and 1 other like this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:11 PM

You can see the tuner for one elaton here circled in red...the other yellow section is what I was turning on the other elaton but it doesnt have those knurls and has rings cut into it:

20210622_152035 (1).jpg

Here is a close up of what it took to achieve focus:

20210622_152119.jpg

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#3 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:25 PM

Beautiful looking scope, amazing you had to extend the focus tube that far!

#4 Gray

Gray

Apollo

• Loc: Middle TN

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:00 PM

Nice setup and welcome to the Coronado family.  When I have binoviewers in, I have to push the blocking filter up flush, otherwise I don't have enough inward focus.  Never needed an extension tube for any of my eyepieces, but I use Orthos except in the Bino. (I just seen you do not have the scopes extension tube extended!)   I find binoviewers the best viewing experience while double stacked.  Can sit there for an hour easy just watching.  Enjoy the scope.

PS Loosen the nylon screws and let the scope's extension tube come out, then tighten them back lol!

Edited by Gray, 22 June 2021 - 10:02 PM.

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:06 PM

Nice setup and welcome to the Coronado family.  When I have binoviewers in, I have to push the blocking filter up flush, otherwise I don't have enough inward focus.  Never needed an extension tube for any of my eyepieces, but I use Orthos except in the Bino. (I just seen you do not have the scopes extension tube extended!)   I find binoviewers the best viewing experience while double stacked.  Can sit there for an hour easy just watching.  Enjoy the scope.

PS Loosen the nylon screws and let the scope's extension tube come out, then tighten them back lol!

If you look closely, the only thing that could possibly come out of the OTA would be the entire focuser assembly if you loosened those screws.  I doubt that is what happens. When  I loosened them and tried to pull the focuser- didnt work. Everything else is extended, diagonal and the focuser is racked out.  There is no built in extension tube on this model I dont think.

And binoviewers chews up backfocus, that is why you do not need an extension tube. 

#6 Gray

Gray

Apollo

• Loc: Middle TN

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:10 PM

If you look closely, the only thing that could possibly come out of the OTA would be the entire focuser assembly if you loosened those screws.  I doubt that is what happens. When  I loosened them and tried to pull the focuser- didnt work. Everything else is extended, diagonal and the focuser is racked out.  There is no built in extension tube on this model I dont think.

And binoviewers chews up backfocus, that is why you do not need an extension tube. 

I have the same scope.  Loosen the screws and pull the focuser out.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

Edited by Gray, 22 June 2021 - 10:15 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

#7 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:18 PM

Thank you so much!!!

I didnt think that's what you had to do. I tried it, but only lightly. I'll pull harder once the screws are loosened.

• Gray likes this

#8 vincentv

vincentv

Ranger 4

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:32 PM

Congratulations! Those big honking etalons look impressive.

FYI the second etalon, the one without knurls, can only be tuned by tilting. I.e. using the little wheel in the adapter between the etalon and objective.

Your views should brighten up when both etalon's center wavelength (CWL) coincide.

• Tyson M likes this

#9 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:43 PM

I love everything about this scope. The case is super nice.  Gold and black.  The new brass color is shiny, not a dull bronze like the older Solermax II. Tube rings and focuser an improvement on the old design.  Can do white light viewing with my lunt 2" herschel wedge and removing the outer elaton I think.

Be cool to use this at night too, although it might be too much of a hassle removing both elatons.  Still going to get a grab and go night scope I think.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observing Report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics