•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Milky Way Exposure Times

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ???

???

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:35 PM

I'm going to try getting some shots of the Milky Way next month, and I'm curious what exposure times would be suitable, and whether I should piggyback and guide, or if the exposures will be short enough to attach the camera directly to the mount (CEM25p) via dovetail and only track. I will be at a IDSP site and should have awfully clear skies, weather permitting. 

What might appropriate exposure times be for the Milky Way using Zuiko 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, and 135mm f/3.5 lenses with 400 iso color film? 

• gwfbmd and j.gardavsky like this

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:01 PM

Here's an interesting article about photographing the Milky Way. Not about film cameras in dark skies however... Good luck.

Edited by Sky King, 22 June 2021 - 10:37 PM.

#3 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:16 AM

This is hard to say without knowing the film you will be using and the quality of your sky. Here you can find some inspiration:

https://www.astro.cz...Praktica 35 mm/

You will need to experiment. Generally, it is good idea to stop down your lenses a bit.

• ??? likes this

#4 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:57 PM

I always guide just so I don't forget to do it later

Under good dark skies 10 min is a good starting point at f/2.8  .And 20 min  at f/4 

Do a second exposure at 20min at f/2.8 and 45min at f/4 (this will test just how dark your skies are)

I would use either  Kodak Ektar 100  (print)  or Ektacrome 100 (slide) or both if you have time..

So far faster film has only given me more grain and no extra stars or details..  YMMV

Edited by TxStars, 24 June 2021 - 09:00 PM.

• Uwe Pilz and gwfbmd like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics