•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Latest Saturn & Jove images from Carrieton - rgb & r Jovian animations added!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:38 PM

As the title change says, I've put together a couple of those "boutique" animations lol.gif of the Jupiter captures - the rgb one in the same post as the Jovian image in the post below this one...the red animation has to go further down the thread where I'll place it in a minute or so. wink.gif

Well, Pattie often calls me a crabby old man, so possibly it's that aspect of my nature that is often dissatisfied with the images we capture..! lol.gif

We went to Carrieton for a punt on clear skies & got them on the 20th (UT) but it turned bitterly cold by the time we'd finished & then a cold easterly sprung up which was getting right into our bones as we packed up yesterday morning...but it was good to go back to our old spot there & sit around campfires to cook our meals during the daylight, despite the weather.

We thought we'd capture Neptune also but by the time we got to it it was getting light & reminded me that with the scope in the position we set it up in that the lights from the little caravan park nearby caused havoc trying to find it in the finder - due to their visibility & distractive effect. frown.gif

From adjusting the primary the night before - where we used the ASI462MC due to the cloudy skies forecast that night - & swinging the scope right round in both axes to work out the best setup I was horrified to see that the defocused star for collimating was the worst since the very first time I took the corrector off the old C11 many years ago before I learnt a thing or two.....the Poisson Point was hard against the outside of the outer diffraction ring making the star very comet-like & requiring massive secondary adjustments to collimate the scope.

A good thing ultimately however because I had to back one screw right off & thus gained a lot of movement in all 3 screws (or the wheels I have on them) where formerly all 3 screws were becoming very tight as they are wont to do over time & adjustments... wink.gif

Pleased with these outcomes although dissatisfied because it is moving towards the pointy end of Saturn & Jove imaging & in comparison to the years before we're struggling to get what we hope for often - but still, beggars can't be choosers as they say! lol.gif

We were out there from 2am till about 6am, spending a long time looking at rubbish Jovian images onscreen when I suggested to Pattie that we switch to Saturn which was itself way past culmination - hoping that possibly that part of the sky might be slightly better.

When we did I watched the feed for a couple of minutes & commented that it was just as bad as for Jupiter - but as much in desperation as anything else I started to convince myself it was at least worth an r-g-b sequence...

During the aforesaid sequence I said to Pattie that it wasn't really as bad as I'd thought...& by halfway through the blue said that it was actually quite decent..! lol.gif

It was one of those occasions when seeing actually improves noticeably over a couple of minutes - we ran off 3 r-g-b sequence then, as the 3rd was possibly the best, we went back to Jove. 

Clearly from Jove's detail the Saturn observation/conclusion was correct so we ran off a few sequences...this being a significant reason why we never got to Neptune also.

Anyway, here they are...still waiting to be able to employ 3x drizzle but reasonably satisfied despite that: Saturn surprised us with the detail & still actually grabbing some moons in the ROI used, this (because of the scope setup - & I won't go into the whys of that atm grin.gif ) with Saturn on its side & the height of the ROI encompassing the ring system...& not much background "above" & "below."

With Jupiter some nice "wave" action in the northern belts, plus that string of oval storms in the south with the OvalBA - it & that northern oval showing some faint reddish/orange colouration still.

We drove 400km or so to Pt. Turton at the foot of Yorke Peninsula via Port Augusta yesterday after leaving Carrieton...the park is snuggled in an old overgrown quarry but the wild & woolly weather that has hit South Oz has made many spots in it still exposed to very gusty conditions - we've moved to a more sheltered spot here in the park & hope to stay a few more days until we head home...not likely to be much fishing however with the winds & rain forecast to continue.

Saturn first as it was the first planet captured - images need clicking on as the first Saturn is at 120% of capture scale & the next with the individual filter images is at capture scale...

s2021-06-20_19-11_rgb_dpm.png

s2021-06-20_19-11_rgb-r-g-b_dpm.png

Edited by Kokatha man, 23 June 2021 - 06:21 AM.

• John_K, Kenny V., h2ologg and 36 others like this

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

Next the Jovian rgb image, the one with ithe individual filter images needs to go in the next post as the 2 are too big together for CN limits - still waiting to be able to have seeing that supports 3x drizzling but reasonably happy despite this...also the small rgb animation made up from the capture data of this night's efforts. wink.gif

j2021-06-20_19-54_rgb_dpm.png

2021-06-20_19-42_rgb_dpm.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 23 June 2021 - 06:22 AM.

• John_K, Kenny V., h2ologg and 33 others like this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

The individual filter images plus an iR610nm capture we took also...

j2021-06-20-1953_r-ir-g-b_dpm.png

Edited by Kokatha man, 22 June 2021 - 08:45 PM.

• Kenny V., h2ologg, John Boudreau and 20 others like this

#4 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 09:11 PM

Wonderful images, Darryl - worth sticking it out for. I love how clearly defined the white ovals are in the Jupiter image. I captured the same view this morning under much poorer conditions, so it's great to see what this face of the planet is supposed to look like!

• Tyson M likes this

#5 Sunspot

Sunspot

Voyager 1

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:45 PM

You've probably answered this before, but I'll ask anyway. Do you apply denoise during processing or do you accomplish it during capture. I compare my images to yours and while the resolution is similar, mine looks "harsh" compared to your images looking smooth. I denoise my images during processing (Astra Image).

Thanks!!

Paul M.

#6 Az Frank

Az Frank

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:49 PM

Must say your Jupo image looks familiar Darryl. I do like how you caught more of the Oval Ba I'm still working on some data that shows the Oval Ba just coming into view. Your usual excellence on Saturn. Looking forward to more Darryl!

#7 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:13 PM

Looks great Darryl, and I enjoyed reading your story to accompany the images!  

#8 Gary Z

Gary Z

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 22 June 2021 - 11:14 PM

Great captures for sure!  Thank you for your time and effort and of course, sharing these wonderful images!!!

Gary

#9 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:19 AM

Great write up and images like always Darryl, thanks for sharing!

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:41 AM

Thank you Ray, Paul, Frank, Tom, Gary & Tyson - & for the many "Likes" posted, much appreciated by Pattie & myself! smile.gif

Looking ahead the weather does not appear to be going to act kindly for quite some time - which if it does will likely be only a momentary opportunity on a single night & probably require travelling also! lol.gif

Here also is the "boutique" red animation made up of the red filter captures that night...as I said in someone else's thread, not only are the individual filter images informative, but they have their own aesthetic appearance merits as well...but regardless, here it is! lol.gif

You've probably answered this before, but I'll ask anyway. Do you apply denoise during processing or do you accomplish it during capture. I compare my images to yours and while the resolution is similar, mine looks "harsh" compared to your images looking smooth. I denoise my images during processing (Astra Image).

Thanks!!

Paul M.

Paul, I have no idea whether we've discussed this before scratchhead2.gif shrug.gif lol.gif but as I've intimated here & elsewhere many times, I really want the capture data to be of sufficient quality to be able to 3x drizzle it if at all possible - unfortunately so far this year none really has been! frown.gif bawling.gif

Be that as it may, the 1.5x has to suffice & even though I know it is the 3x resampled at the end of any AS!3 processing, there is no mistaking it works when 3x won't & is far better imo than no drizzling.....or for some strange reason much better than reducing a 3x drizzle in AS!3 to 150% scale. confused1.gif   waytogo.gif

The desire to drizzle is driven partly by the fact that I can down-scale to capture scale during processing where I do all my noise suppression...after down-sizing you need less Gaussian Blur to suppress noise in an image...although I often make a mix of GB, Dust & Scratches & Despeckle, the latter 2 P/shop applications usually "faded" somewhat after applying - with the final application being GB. I never use any other noise suppression applications in any other program except the freeware "ImageAnalyzer" where that software's colour noise reduction application is very effective when Saturn's rings exhibit unwanted colouration on or around the rings' fringes. smile.gif

2021-06-20_19-42_r_dpm.gif

• John_K, Kenny V., h2ologg and 9 others like this

#11 Quopaz

Quopaz

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:23 AM

Nice work, we need more nights like that one.

#12 Sunspot

Sunspot

Voyager 1

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:41 AM

----------------------------------------------

The desire to drizzle is driven partly by the fact that I can down-scale to capture scale during processing where I do all my noise suppression...after down-sizing you need less Gaussian Blur to suppress noise in an image...although I often make a mix of GB, Dust & Scratches & Despeckle, the latter 2 P/shop applications usually "faded" somewhat after applying - with the final application being GB. I never use any other noise suppression applications in any other program except the freeware "ImageAnalyzer" where that software's colour noise reduction application is very effective when Saturn's rings exhibit unwanted colouration on or around the rings' fringes. smile.gif

---------------------------------------------

Basic question. Do you resize the drizzled image before wavelets?

Edited by Sunspot, 23 June 2021 - 12:04 PM.

#13 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2021 - 12:00 PM

really nicely done

#14 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Vanguard

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 05:50 PM

Fine work Darryl and Pat!  bow.gif 

You managed to squeeze out some nice detail from what passes as subpar seeing for you guys!  waytogo.gif 

As for me, your B channels blow away anything I've captured in the R and G this year for Jove and Saturn.  lol.gif  

#15 dave253

dave253

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:45 PM

Beautiful! 

#16 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:12 PM

Thanks also Nick, flibbles, John & Dave, & for the "Likes." smile.gif It was the blue in the first Saturn sequence that had me realise I was under-playing the seeing when we turned to that planet John...but if I'm correct, for some bizarre reason the blue & green filter captures etc often seem to be better than anticipated & the red less to enthuse over in this strange imaging season so far..! confused1.gif  

----------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

Basic question. Do you resize the drizzled image before wavelets?

No, never Paul. If I were to not drizzle one issue is that it is very hard to get a wavelets/sharpening setting/s where the planet doesn't take on an "over-heavily processed" appearance.....much easier to achieve a better balance/appearance all-round when working on a drizzled stack & best with the 3x drizzle if the seeing will support this.

Of course this 3x stack will require much more aggressive wavelets sharpening than 1.5x or none...but even so it will still look much better aesthetically in the end-result at a similar scale to either of the other alternatives...& you get to apply the noise reduction at the final down-scaling you decide upon - where it is much more efficient as I said above. smile.gif

I "think" I'm answering your question here Paul - just ask if I'm not! wink.gif

I might put together a small red filter Saturn animation later also with the moons...maybe an rgb also...maybe! lol.gif

• KiwiRay likes this

#17 Sunspot

Sunspot

Voyager 1

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:35 PM

Thanks also Nick, flibbles, John & Dave, & for the "Likes." smile.gif It was the blue in the first Saturn sequence that had me realise I was under-playing the seeing when we turned to that planet John...but if I'm correct, for some bizarre reason the blue & green filter captures etc often seem to be better than anticipated & the red less to enthuse over in this strange imaging season so far..! confused1.gif  

No, never Paul. If I were to not drizzle one issue is that it is very hard to get a wavelets/sharpening setting/s where the planet doesn't take on an "over-heavily processed" appearance.....much easier to achieve a better balance/appearance all-round when working on a drizzled stack & best with the 3x drizzle if the seeing will support this.

Of course this 3x stack will require much more aggressive wavelets sharpening than 1.5x or none...but even so it will still look much better aesthetically in the end-result at a similar scale to either of the other alternatives...& you get to apply the noise reduction at the final down-scaling you decide upon - where it is much more efficient as I said above. smile.gif

I "think" I'm answering your question here Paul - just ask if I'm not! wink.gif

I might put together a small red filter Saturn animation later also with the moons...maybe an rgb also...maybe! lol.gif

Yes, you answered the question I was asking. I kind of figured wavelets before re-sizing. Just wanted to be sure. My biggest issue with drizzling, especially 3x is the amount of noise I see. However, I've never really concentrated on drizzling before, so I'm going to really make a better effort. The "over-heavily processed" appearance you mention is exactly what I'd love get away from..grin.gif Hopefully I can teach this old dog a new trick.lol.giflol.giflol.gif

• dcaponeii likes this

#18 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:28 PM

Great Images for the conditions with beautiful color.  Liked your Red and IR mond this time....indicating I suppose that local seeing like the temperature is not Trinidad-like yet.

#19 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:06 AM

Great Images for the conditions with beautiful color.  Liked your Red and IR mond this time....indicating I suppose that local seeing like the temperature is not Trinidad-like yet.

Hmmm! Not sure where Trinidad comes into it Ross hmm.gif - unless it's where you are now, residing with all my crockery takings..! bigshock.gif 4.gif lol.gif

#20 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:35 AM

I was thinking of Amrit (Wargrafix) with hi good viewing in Trinidad of course, .......and can assure you the tax benefits of moving money  there have nothing to do with how he has funded his new Mono camera.

#21 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:00 AM

Hmmm... (again! lol.gif) With all due respect to Amrit, I'm unconvinced that the Trinidadian seeing is any better atm than that over here from anything I've seen...but of course if there are no clouds there it has to be better than what it's like here 90% of the time!

As far as tax benefits, I guess you must've found some kudos from sending my money there...& speaking of Amrit I know he often mentions Saharan dust - but in your case it's a different type of dust (****dust) when it comes to telling me where my royalties have gone! lol.gif

• Foc likes this

#22 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:34 PM

...pouring rain here although we could have imaged this morning if we'd wanted to...as long as we packed the scope away straight afterwards - kind of glad we didn't have that task as we sit in the caravan with the rain drumming down on the roof! smile.gif

Whiled away the time making one of those "boutique" animations, although an rgb instead of the r that I suggested earlier...

Even though there were only 3 captures from this particular night & we captured with the planet on its side there was just enough ROI to get Mimas, Dione & Enceladus in the frame - it always looks good to see the moons shuttling around the planet even if there are only a few frames to an animation: difficult to get any vague semblance of magnitude relativity into these at times but at least I think it is in the ballpark, so to speak! lol.gif

As Andrew (Tulloch) commented in some other (still) image we posted in another thread, watch out for dust confusing/masquerading as satellites - but the fact everything is in motion might help..! lol.gif

I think you can click on the image to get it to a bit larger scale to see all the moons a bit more clearly...or just use your screen magnifier tool of course! wink.gif

s2021-06-20_19-01_rgb_dpm-CS4reduced2x.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 24 June 2021 - 09:37 PM.

• h2ologg, R Botero, eros312 and 3 others like this

#23 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:48 PM

Superlative images, as always!

#24 Vega700

Vega700

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 June 2021 - 12:43 AM

Always a pleasure to see your images Darryl. I like especially the colour tones on Saturn.waytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gif

#25 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:55 PM

Thank you Kevin & Luke & for the extra "Likes" posted since I last acknowledged them. smile.gif

Got home late yesterday afternoon but if I can cut the wet grass on the back lawn where the tripod is permanently set up, I'll get the scope set up also later today...might be a small window in the clouds & rain sometime this week. fingerscrossed.gif

A small bit of good fortune, the desktop screen wouldn't work when we got home & had been acting up for a few weeks before we left, flickering on & off whenever I adjusted the screen tilt on its' large HD.....the mains power plug had worked loose upon inspection, providing erratic power connection - all good now! smile.gif

I can see now that working on the laptops probably caused me not to notice the transition in the background for one of the frames in the little Saturn & moons animation above! blush.gif

It is now only 36 days until Jupiter's opposition & 53 days till Jupiter's..! For us this emphasizes just how poor this year has been in South Oz, where none of our Jovian captures come anywhere near what we would've hoped to have captured...but that's planetary imaging for you..! frown.gif

• RedLionNJ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics