•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX85 Declination locked up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hockey_fan

hockey_fan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 12:08 AM

I'm looking for some help with the mechanical workings of the Meade LX85.  The declination rotation has locked up even when the clutch is released.  I have never had a mount apart before, but it seems as though the inner part of the declination assembly needs to spin independently of the outer part, until the clutch is tightened down.  Is this correct (see attached photo)?  The motor still drives the declination rotation just fine, I just can't release it from the motor.  It works as if the clutch release is tightened down, even though it is loose.  I have it apart and have tried to back it off, but don't want to force anything more than I already have.  I have numerous ideas in my head about how it might work.  If it is threaded and is just over-tightened, if it is a left handed thread and I am actually tightening it when I'm trying to loosen it, or if it is a bearing that is seized up.

Any help with it is appreciated.

LX85.jpg

#2 barnold84

barnold84

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 23 June 2021 - 12:33 AM

Hi,

You're observation is correct that the inner part should be freely moving if the clutch is opened or even removed. With the setup in the photo, you just need to try to turn the counter weight bar and you should see the inner cylinder rotating as well.

The outer cylinder shouldn't be movable as it is connected to the worm and hence essentially blocked.

Can you freely turn the declination axis by turning on the counter weight bar? 

Best,

Björn

#3 hockey_fan

hockey_fan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:04 PM

Greetings Björn,

I appreciate your response, but at this point I think it is done. At the point I took the photo I had the motor and worm gear assembly removed.  I was able to spin the counter weight shaft as you mentioned, however both the inner and outer assemblies would turn.  The inner and outer assemblies seemed to be locked together.  I stripped it down to the bearings on the counter weight bar end and I assume it has the same bearings on the mount end as I couldn't get it apart any further.  It has had some resistance when the clutch was loose for awhile now.  I fear that a bearing between the inner and outer assemblies was going out and by forcing it, it is now seized up.  I posted this question to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious as my mount is something I have never had apart before (and hope to never again).  As mentioned the motor turns the assembly just fine.  I guess the biggest issue is finding the balance when I mount my scope to it.  I think I have a work around for that, but I will have to test it.

Thanks again for your time to respond.

Scott

#4 barnold84

barnold84

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:10 AM

Hi Scott,

Ok, now I better understand what the problem is but not the cause. In any case, I recommend to have it checked and fixed because in the long run it my stress the drives and mechanics in general and damage the mount beyond reasonable repair efforts.

CS!

Björn

#5 hockey_fan

hockey_fan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:20 PM

Hi Björn,

I am not sure what caused it either, but I am going to send it in to Meade to have it repaired.  I agree that is the best thing to do, I just need to be patient and wait for it to be fixed properly.  I did want to mention my experience with Meade customer service.  I have read horror stories in the past of how terrible the Meade customer service is.  I have had a very pleasant experience with them.  I got a response from an actual person less than 24 hours after submitting my inquiry.  I have been emailing back and forth with them over the last couple of days and they have been very helpful.  They are still getting their systems converted over, but have been very responsive and easy to work with.  Which is great as I am a big Meade fan.  I guess I am back to my LX90 for the near future.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond,

Clear Skies,

Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics