•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So mounts, Cge-pro/cgx-l/cem70/eq8/HDX110?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Riaandw

Riaandw

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Africa

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:31 AM

Looking into a future proof purchase for imaging only. 

Equipment currently is some wide field options on an avx. Recently came into a 10" Meade sct, 8" apm mn86 and need to invest in a bigger GEM.

Don't need pretty bells and lights, just accurate tracking and perhaps future longer focal ration support. 

Can not seem to find too much indepth info on these. Know the CGE has servos instead of steppers and I think eq8/HDX110 has encoders. Any benifit to these luxuries? 

The Cem70 is probably lightest while still strong enough which means more shipping savings. 

Budget is around 3500 usd (exclusive of the 500usd for shipping to South Africa). 

Is Losmandy an option? 

What would you get or should I save longer and go to the premo mount isle? (ie Astro-Physics/10 micron/software bisque...) 

Any info appreciated.

Edited by Riaandw, 23 June 2021 - 01:45 AM.

#2 Riaandw

Riaandw

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:48 AM

Mount will be pier mounted in and weather protected. Seeing is good from time to time and bortle 5.

Edited by Riaandw, 23 June 2021 - 01:52 AM.

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:49 AM

If you can afford to save for an Astro-Physics mount (even used) it will be miles better than anything you've listed.

That said, out of your list I would pick the CEM70, with the Losmandy G11G as a strong second choice. I would not seriously consider the others, although if you are lucky you could end up with a serviceable copy (and assuming of course you realize how heavy most of the mounts on your list are, which is not a concern if you will be permanently mounted). 

• Riaandw likes this

#4 Riaandw

Riaandw

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 03:30 AM

Thanks Stelios. Not sure if thanks is appropriate, my wallet sure isn't gonning to enjoy. Why go half way right. Let Mr look into the AP offerings then. Any advice on which are better suited of the Astro-Physics range? There's a 900 and 1200 over on the other astro auctions... Doesn't seem out off reach. 

#5 jp071848

jp071848

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:27 AM

+1 on a good recent Losmandy (to take advantage of some of the new features they have introduced over the last few years). I have owned both a CGE and a CGE Pro, and loved them, but would have to advise extreme caution if you are considering either. Celestron are not very good at supporting their older models and have, AFAIK, pretty much orphaned the CGE. I believe some parts for the Pro may be available, but some are also no longer available, at least new from Celestron. If you are considering either, best do your homework very carefully

• Riaandw likes this

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:06 AM

Thanks Stelios. Not sure if thanks is appropriate, my wallet sure isn't gonning to enjoy. Why go half way right. Let Mr look into the AP offerings then. Any advice on which are better suited of the Astro-Physics range? There's a 900 and 1200 over on the other astro auctions... Doesn't seem out off reach. 

I think either will handle the scopes you mentioned. Obviously they (especially the MN86 which weighs 40-ish pounds IIRC) will be steadiest on the AP1200. 

• Riaandw likes this

#7 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:16 AM

If you are in an observatory setting, for the long haul,  Astro Physics, Software Bisque,  Losmandy.  No experience with AP, from what I've read and I know of one person who has one,  had for 15 years I know of.  Rock solid,  no problems at all, accurate.   I own a SB paramount ME, and it is now that I am finding out just how good this mount actually is - some 20 years later.  Rock solid, accurate,  customer support is great.  The only things I have done to this mount is run new USB and a 12vdc wires through the mount and grease it.  I use it in a portable setting.     Losmandy,  in my opinion, probably the best mount for the money, on a budget,  a good "working man's " mount.  Old school, reliable, accurate, easy to use, works with a lot of software. I own a G11T.       With the SB mounts you will be locked into Sky X software to operate the mount.    As for availability, service, etc.  in South Africa   I have no clue.  Everything I commented on refers the the USA.    Joe

• Riaandw likes this

#8 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:29 AM

+1 on a good recent Losmandy (to take advantage of some of the new features they have introduced over the last few years). I have owned both a CGE and a CGE Pro, and loved them, but would have to advise extreme caution if you are considering either. Celestron are not very good at supporting their older models and have, AFAIK, pretty much orphaned the CGE. I believe some parts for the Pro may be available, but some are also no longer available, at least new from Celestron. If you are considering either, best do your homework very carefully

100% agree.  Not too long ago I sold my still working CGE PRO when I found out new boards and motors were no longer available for them.  It REALLY pi55ed me off that celestron only has short term parts availability for what was once their top mount!!

• Riaandw likes this

#9 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:12 AM

Looking into a future proof purchase for imaging only. 

Equipment currently is some wide field options on an avx. Recently came into a 10" Meade sct, 8" apm mn86 and need to invest in a bigger GEM.

Don't need pretty bells and lights, just accurate tracking and perhaps future longer focal ration support. 

Can not seem to find too much indepth info on these. Know the CGE has servos instead of steppers and I think eq8/HDX110 has encoders. Any benifit to these luxuries? 

The Cem70 is probably lightest while still strong enough which means more shipping savings. 

Budget is around 3500 usd (exclusive of the 500usd for shipping to South Africa). 

Is Losmandy an option? 

What would you get or should I save longer and go to the premo mount isle? (ie Astro-Physics/10 micron/software bisque...) 

Any info appreciated.

I have been very happy with my CEM60 and CEM120 (non EC versions).  I think that stepper motors are preferable on lower cost mounts because they are more durable and probably more reliable.  I think the CEM120 is a better mount overall than the EQ-8, because it has a far superior floating worm design. The recent improvements in CEM120 PEC mean that a CEM120 with an uploaded PEC curve via PEMPRO will have outstandingly low PE.

• schellaj likes this

#10 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 04:15 PM

Just got my Losmandy G11G and loving it so far. Losmandy did just open up pricing where you can buy the mount without a tripod if you are pier mounting it, and that drops the price quite a bit over the package.

#11 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:21 PM

There's a 900 and 1200 over on the other astro auctions... Doesn't seem out off reach. 

A used AP900 would be seriously sweet, and would carry any of the scopes that you've listed.

As Stelios mentioned, the AP1200 would be steadier with the biggest scope, but the 1200 is a beast.  If you are permanently set up in an observatory, then take a look at the AP1200.  If you are portable, or set up for each session, then the AP900 would certainly be good enough (far, far better than anything that you listed in the first post).

A Mach1 would also work well for visual, but if you are going to image through the Mak-Newt, then I would probably go with an AP900.

If you stick just with the options on your list, then the CEM70 is probably the best contender.  A Losmandy G11G is also a good choice in this group.  I was at Logan Valley star party a few weeks ago, and by pure chance there was someone their with a brand new CEM70 that they'd never used, and also someone there with a brand new G11G that they'd never used.  I got to help both of them get going.  I was pretty impressed with both mounts.  The G11G is not your grandfather's G11.  I'm surprised at how nice the new ones are.  Also, the CEM70 looked good, but I'm not a fan of the clutchless design (instead of clutches, you completely engage/disengage the worm from the wheel with a lever).  We didn't get a chance to do imaging on either mount, but both of them worked perfectly out of the box, insofar as everything that we tried to do.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics