•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lacerta Photonewtons vs other scopes

Astrophotography Beginner Equipment Imaging Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Possibly Bortle 8-9, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:37 AM

Hey all.

I am just curious to know...What separates the Lacertas from other newtonians? I have heard the main changes are-

1.A better tube

2.Good flocking

3.Octo60 focuser

Please point out to me anything I have missed out on.

But the mirror remains the same one from skywatcher...It is true that Lacerta Photonewtons are upgraded skywatcher quattros.

So-If I got an Astro-Tech(I think a rebranded GSO newt-Am I correct?) newtonian and upgraded the focuser, upgraded the tube with a good carbon fiber one, baffled and flocked the tube with Black 3.0 and did some other modifications like replacing the secondary mirror vanes and holder with Artesky vanes and a holder, and also replaced the primary mirror cell, is it going to perform just about as good as a 8 inch Lacerta Photonewton? Do GSO mirrors perform as well as the skywatcher ones? I have Guan Sheng Optical's mirrors are 1/6th wave-1/12 wave RMS. And how does the Octo60 focuser compare to the other focusers out there(eg.:-Moonlite focusers, Feathertouch focusers).

Thanks for replying in advance!

Ayaan

#2 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:36 AM

Looks like you answered your own question.

#3 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:52 AM

I think there are a few more benefits, according to the manufacturer, if you look here...

#4 bokemon

bokemon

Viking 1

• Loc: Silicon Valley, California

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:02 PM

Well, for one, the carbon fiber tubes are made my Klaus Heim.[forgot spelling] which means that they are going to be out of stock forever.

#5 JuergenB

JuergenB

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lilienthal, Germany

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:21 AM

Well, for one, the carbon fiber tubes are made my Klaus Heim.[forgot spelling] which means that they are going to be out of stock forever.

It's Klaus Helmerichs, aka Klaushelmi. Very rigid carbon tubes. As Skywatcher doesn't produce the Quattro carbon tube series anymore, there is a lack of alternatives.

Btw., another advantage of Lacertas is that you can order an optical test and collimation service with their scopes.

Juergen

#6 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 24 June 2021 - 10:06 AM

In the past i think in 2017 the year i started astronomy in general, i came across Astrobin and saw images done by Lacerta, i think i saw images done with two scopes both Newt, one of them is Lacerta, and both giving 1000mm focal length, one is 8" F/5 and the other is 10" F/4, the images or results were enough for me that i decided i want to buy 1000mm FL Newt in the future, i wanted Lacerta but it was so pricey for me, then once day i saw a seller on eBay selling his brand new Meade 8" F/5, wasn't sure about it, but then i said why not buy it and give it a try and see, since i bought it i kept and still keep modifying it, but i won't modify it too much anyway, not trying to reach Lacerta or better quality scope level, but i am happy to have 1000mm focal length scope anyway.

#7 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:30 AM

Hi Tareq,

Thanks for the information on your scope!...What modifications have you made to the Meade?

Edited by Ayaan Hashim, 25 June 2021 - 12:37 AM.

#8 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:47 AM

Hi Tareq,

Thanks for the information on your scope!...What modifications have you made to the Meade?

Just little ones, changed the focuser from single speed to dual speed Crayford, changed the collimation screws for both mirrors to Bob's Knobs ones, that's all, i am thinking about changing the primary mirror in future maybe and maybe add a fan if necessary to the rear of the scope, and i have to cover the rear due to light leak, i don't know if i should change the focuser again or not, but i think i won't do that until it is giving issues first.

#9 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:04 AM

You can read the skyandtelescope article on how to beat atmospheric seeing if you haven't already. It can help with making the telescope accommodate to the ambient temperature in a more effective way.

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:28 PM

You can read the skyandtelescope article on how to beat atmospheric seeing if you haven't already. It can help with making the telescope accommodate to the ambient temperature in a more effective way.

Honestly speaking, i don't think i have this issues at all, or let's say it is not my big main issue, with my refractor and lenses i just use dew heater straps/strips and it did the job perfectly, now only Newt, i do have the Mak, but the Mak isn't for DSO anyway, i use it only for moon or planetary and sometimes visual.

I still believe in my 8" F/5, it is not in that Lacerta or OrionUK ones, but it can be as good, the main thing is the mirrors, if the mirrors are all the same then whatever else can be modified later, and because i didn't use the scope much yet so i won't give up on mirrors yet.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Equipment, Imaging, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics