•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PixInsight PCC fails only on my computer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: United States

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:21 AM

I started myself into trouble by doing a dumb, absent minded thing.

My SSD external hard drive, which happened to have the Gaia star catalog on it ran out of space.  I unplugged it, plugged in a new one, and then wondered why PCC wouldn't work.  Duh.

So I plugged the old drive back in, that should fix that.  But it didn't.  For my image of the Crescent Nebula, PCC fails EVERY time (failure to plate solve), regardless of what I do.

Usually PCC fails to plate solve when the RA and DEC coordinates are "too far from the metadata".  Yes, they were different, so I used the look up feature and used the online coordinates instead.  Failed.  Tried the online star catalogs instead of my own catalog.  Failed.  I carefully checked another usual culprit, my RASA 8 FL is 400 and my ASI2600MC pixel size is 3.76.  Those are correctly loaded.

In desperation, I deleted the star catalog on my older drive and re-downloaded the catalog from scratch on the new drive.  But everything still fails.

I have linked the image online with Google drive, and a nice guy ran PCC on it on his computer.  It succeeded on the first try!  What's going on here?  

He pasted a screen shot of his PCC process and I carefully filled in the numbers he used.  But everything still failed.

I rebooted my computer, didn't help.

I am a hapless, non IT guy.  I will copy the link to the image (it's a broadband image that I was hoping to use the stars from to combine with a duo-band image that has better nebulosity but skewed stars).  If you have a minute, can you run PCC on it and confirm that it works?  

Can one of you sharp computer guys suggest some troubleshooting ideas about what could prevent ONLY my computer from plate solving?

Thanks in advance for any help and any suggestions.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#2 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:35 AM

Here is my PCC process screen.

If anyone spots something on here that would cause PCC to fail, please let me know.

I used the online coordinates for RA/DEC, not my FITS coordinates.

I have unchecked the automatic boxes to use my newly redownloaded star catalog, but I have also tried it with those boxes checked.

Attached Thumbnails

• PCC snip.JPG

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:41 AM

I sometimes get this issue when the image solved last time but does not work this time.

The first thing I did was reset the PCC settings by hitting the defaults button. I then cropped my target to the middle of the frame (as a test) and then used the application target search to set the RA & DEC (not from the fits header in the image) . I then applied the pixel size and focal length information- it all worked again.

I'm just not sure why PCC is fickle- sometimes it just works and other times it has me scratching my head. It could all be down to the quality of the image and the noise levels confusing the application however that does not explain why it worked last time but not now (even with the same data).

Edited by pyrasanth, 23 June 2021 - 10:43 AM.

#4 jd200

jd200

Explorer 1

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

As a way to troubleshoot/debug the problem I would take an image that you have successfully applied PCC to before - and try it again with PCC now - to see what happens.  That way you know that you are testing with a good image for PCC.  It is a long shot - but it is possible there is some other issue with the image you are trying to apply PCC to now and the software is working fine.

For me, I usually go back to one of my base subs and get the RA/Dec from that image, using the "acquire from image" button - so that I know the RA/Dec is right.  

I usually work from a drizzled image, so I have to double the focal length number from its actual value, in order for PCC to analyze the image properly.

One other thing to make sure - when you swapped drives and swapped back - did the drive letter of your SDD stay the same, so that PixInsight is properly finding the Gaia database.  Sometimes when you swap drives around like that - Windows will "help you out" and change the drive letter.  I doubt that is the problem here because the error message does not seem to be complaining about that, but it might cause other problems as well, depending on what you are using the SDD for.

Hope that helps...

John

#5 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:19 PM

Well, here was what I was told by a PixInsight team member named "Juan".

He said, "The center coordinates provided by the RA and DEC keywords in this image are incorrect".

So, by searching for the correct coordinates online, I still got FAILURE because the data in my image apparently overwrite the ones I pasted in.

It was necessary to find the check-box "ignore meta-data info" and check it.

When I did that, PCC instantly worked (though it didn't calibrate the color to anything I thought was reasonable, after stretching the PCC image).

Anyway, what is causing me to get FITS headers with badly off coordinates?  My Lat/Longs on my acquisition software look right.  Where do I need to look to fix bad FITS headers?  Is there something off kilter on my mount?  On my software? 

I didn't used to have this problem.  What has come up? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics