•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific ED80 triplet APO build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stipe Vladova

Stipe Vladova

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Split, Croatia

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:21 PM

When nobody here puts a report of ATM build from this objective, I will put it.grin.gif

I recently bought ES 80ED triplet lens in cell from Sheldon Faworski, aka MASILMW from CN Classifieds and machined the rest of the OTA. This lens has some tiny edge chips on the Hoya FCD01 middle ED lens. The damage is caused by the collimation grub screws that were obviously overtightened or so. This is earlier version of the alu essential ED80, where the lens cell is screwed on the tube and there is no push-pull collimation screws, only lens centering grub screws. One thing that is not clear is that two of three lenses have these grub screws. The front lens element has none of them by default and rocks around freely causing misalignment...confused1.gif I put some paper shims to prevent that rocking around. There are also some thinner sticker shims at the collimation grub screw holes inside the cell. This earlier version has grub screws that directly touch the lenses, while the newer version has grub screws with plastic tip! That is probably the reason why this lens got chipped. But these damages are small and act like classic aluminum lens spacer foil shims that are also used in many refractors. These are very slight chips and cause no harm to the image quality. The lowest image shows the chips protrudion into the light path.

Very important thing is that I machined the rings for stability, instead of the Vixen "foot" that is used in this size refractors (ES 80ED, SW Esprit 80ED, etc...) 

This job is not yet done because there is also one more lens from Sheldon, the 60/300mm cemented achromatic doublet that will soon be the lens for flip mirror finder/guider. It slides in that bracket at the top of the ES 80ED.

Optical quality of this objective is impressive. 200x magnification is easily reachable and this is a great deal for the price and quality. This scope is great for visual and mainly for wide field astrophoto! It will be used with Skywatcher 0.85x reducer/flattener and my new Omegon veTEC533C OSC camera. Hope to take Heart, Soul and also the Veil nebula this summer!

I am very happy with my new toy, and will soon put some astro images that will take with it!

Clear skies!

Attached Thumbnails

• ed80_apo.jpg
  • es_80ed_front.jpg
  • objektiv.jpg
  • ostecenja.jpg

Edited by Stipe Vladova, 23 June 2021 - 04:32 PM.

• PrestonE, photomagica, walter a and 2 others like this

#2 MASILMW

MASILMW

Mariner 2

• Vendors

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:05 PM

Hi Stipe,

A very nice job indeed! It'll be fun to image with. Send them (images) when you can.

Best, SF

#3 Stipe Vladova

Stipe Vladova

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:38 PM

Thanks! Will do. Around the next new moon, at july 9th to july 11th (weekend) the local astronomy club in Korenica will organize the astrophotography class and if weather permits there will be some imaging!

Edited by Stipe Vladova, 24 June 2021 - 01:16 PM.

#4 Stipe Vladova

Stipe Vladova

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2021 - 02:48 PM

Here is the first test image of Veil nebula with this scope. This is 5x3min stack. There was used the SW0.85x reducer/flattener and Omegon VeTEC533C camera with Optolong L-Extreme filter in Bortle 7 sky in my backyard. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Autosave_ABE-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by Stipe Vladova, 04 July 2021 - 02:52 PM.

• photomagica and davidc135 like this

#5 Stipe Vladova

Stipe Vladova

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2021 - 02:58 PM

This is finished scope with 60mm f5 flip mirror finder/guider.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20210703_144018-1280x960.jpg

Edited by Stipe Vladova, 04 July 2021 - 08:44 PM.

• MKV likes this

#6 MKV

MKV

Cosmos

• Loc: Southeast, USA

Posted 04 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

Stipe, there's a lot more information in that image that can be extracted. This took about 5 seconds.

stipe veil_GIMP.jpg

A good photo app and a little editing can make it look even better.

Pretty unbelievable a little cope like that can record all that.

Mladen

#7 Stipe Vladova

Stipe Vladova

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2021 - 09:06 PM

This is only a test photo. Clouds of course stopped me to take at least 30-40 frames so there are only 5. This first half of the year weather conditions were terrible so there is no any deep sky object imaged and processed completely.

Edited by Stipe Vladova, 04 July 2021 - 09:07 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics