•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with drawing double stars in color

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:59 PM

I know there are individuals who are computer savvy who can make beautiful color drawings of double stars with a black background. I have been keeping a journal of my observations since 1965 and, would  like to draw my impression of doubles in color within my journal. I do not want something on a separate piece of paper which is easily lost. Do I just use colored pencils and forget about a black background? Do I use black gouache  to create the black background and leave open spaces to draw the double? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

JimP

Attached Thumbnails

• 3BCD4489-9B23-428F-BCFB-B44710D4248E.jpeg

• Daniel Mounsey and Spile like this

#2 ScottW

ScottW

Viking 1

Posted 23 June 2021 - 05:39 PM

Jim,

They make white ink pens.  May be you could draw the stars with ones and then color over them if needed.

Just a thought, I"ve never done it!

Scott

• JimP likes this

#3 Ml fly

Ml fly

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 24 June 2021 - 10:40 PM

Carson XL 92lb drawing paper is in black and thin enough to cut into circles. You can attach these to your notebook via uhu glue or double sided tape. You could make a hundred in very little time and would last a while. I have also numbered pages of notebook and drawing pads and wrote cross referenced page numbers/dates on both pages and wasn’t unhappy with that. So, if you ever decided you wanted to use black background paper, there are a couple of ways to do it.

• JimP and Spile like this

#4 Fiske

Fiske

Gemini

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 04:33 PM

That is a nice looking journal, Jim. waytogo.gif

Do you have a set of journals? Have you ever tried sketching doubles with a pencil? Not in color or anything. That alone is surprisingly enjoyable. 

Fiske

#5 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

I have been keeping an Astronomy journal since September of 1965.
Yes, I have tried drawing doubles with pencils and I think I’m going to end up going back to doing it that way. LOL! But, I am always interested in suggestions.

Jim
  • Daniel Mounsey, Fiske and mikemarotta like this

#6 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:16 PM

Jim,

I use colored pencils on dark paper. Nice to hear you getting out like this. waytogo.gif Take a look at Roger's work here. The man's amazing. 

https://rogerivester.com/

Edited by Daniel Mounsey, 29 June 2021 - 07:18 PM.

• Fiske likes this

#7 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:05 PM

Wow! He is amazing!

JimP

#8 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 01 July 2021 - 01:17 AM

I use colored pencils on white paper, and print the colors in inverse. 

Preparing that, take all the color pencisl you intend to use, scan their streaks and invert it in the computer. Then easiest write the real color at the pencil.

There are a lot of sketches with this method in our double star observation list. Example:

32Eri.jpg

• mikemarotta and Voyager 3 like this

#9 Spile

Spile

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK

Posted 01 July 2021 - 03:39 PM

I place dots to show angle and magnitude represented by the size of blob. All in pencil on plain paper. Colour indicated by  letters..

EG: Y+B, W+W, BW+BW+BW etc Each given a rating with 5* being the best.

• payner likes this

#10 mikemarotta

mikemarotta

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 04 July 2021 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for starting the topic, Jim. As a writer, I have a jones for writing instruments. (IOn one job for Honda America, their factory was home to geese. I picked up about a dozen large wing feathers, but I have not cut any pens, yet: still reading how to do it and hesitant to try.) I have an array of colored pencils (Derwnts mostly). And I get coupons from a local art supply store. I could do more with this myself. 

I have been keeping an Astronomy journal since September of 1965.
Yes, I have tried drawing doubles with pencils and I think I’m going to end up going back to doing it that way. LOL! But, I am always interested in suggestions.  Jim

In my notebooks so far, I have only drawn in black and then noted the colors with verbal descriptions.

iota Leo 25 Dec ES102.jpg

I have many like this. I note my telescope, oculars with or without 2x Barlow, time and date (of course). I have been trying to keep this to scale with the field-of-view, graph paper, and millimeter ruler. The stars, of course, do not come out to scale. But it is good enough for a representation.

I use colored pencils on white paper, and print the colors in inverse. 

Preparing that, take all the color pencisl you intend to use, scan their streaks and invert it in the computer. Then easiest write the real color at the pencil.

There are a lot of sketches with this method in our double star observation list. Example:

I have no problem - and now some motivation - going to the art supply store and trying a full range of pencil brands. The barrier for me is that the colors of the stars as I perceive them are seldom as stunning as the pencils would portray. Albireo is famous as an exception. Mostly, I know that one star is yellow and another blue if they are close together for contrast. Otherwise, all stars are white, white-yellowish, white-orangish, white-blueish. I have tried Aldebaran and Antares and Mars: orange, maybe. To draw them ruby red, fire engine red, sunset red, etc. with pencils would be representational, at best.

I have an item on my blog, "Amateur Astrophotography is Baloney." I think that they are artists, not scientists. They make pretty pictures but deliver no repeatable data. So, drawing in color would present the same difficultly for me. However, in that context, I could accept drawings in color as valid reports not different in quality from just saying "orange." 

Finally, in Burnham's Celestial Handbook you can find his histories of reports in which famous 19th century astronomers used descriptions like "pink" and "stunning green" and "pleasing lavender."

#11 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 July 2021 - 09:57 AM

Lots of good stuff here guys. I would like to do the drawings in my journals so they don’t get lost although an occasional one, done as art, would also be nice. Thanks everyone!

JimP

#12 Fiske

Fiske

Gemini

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:42 PM

I haven't experimented with this, I'll just say it up front. BUT, image editing applications commonly have the ability to selectively change one color for another. So, if you draw whatever stars with the colors you see. Then choose another color for white stars -- anything you are not using for colored stars, like purple, for example. (Think Harold and the Purple crayon. wink.gif ) Then the sketch could be scanned, white could be swapped for black, and purple for white, and voila! smile.gif Just an idea...

Fiske

#13 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:33 AM

Nice. Thank you!

JimP

#14 Fiske

Fiske

Gemini

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:06 AM

Here is another approach that might be effective, which would involve sketching over multiple nights. The first night do a pencil sketch with no color. Then scan the sketch and do an inverse transform on it so you have a white on black image. Print that out.Then in the next session, fill in the colors. smile.gif That seems promising. You might experiment with colored pencils on a scratch pad to get the right tone before filling in various stars.

Fiske

• payner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics