•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AstroberryOS is outdated and glitchy on Pi4

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:58 PM

This is sort of a rant I understand. I'm just trying to save a headache to others. 

This is quite a provocative title I know, but after trying for an entire week.  It is what it is. 

I know it's a free software, I can understand a tiny team working on it voluntarily, having even the Raspberry OS can't be a large team, I can see this OS receives no love. 

The last time this OS was updated is August 20th. 

Second, it doesn't work well with Pi4 - 8GB.  The regular Raspberry Os is got updates to work with Pi4 but Astroberry OS didn't. 

Third - Both the regular Raspberry Pi OS and Astroberry OS doesn't work well with 32GB or larger SD cards.  My 250GB is useless. 

Issues: 
1. The unit freezes during load, during various stages, never makes it to the splash screen or to the desktop

2. The unit freezes when it's already loaded to the splash screen after certain amount of time

3. Network is glitchy at best, useless at most. I have it frozen up without being able to do anything  

The reason I'm not going to re-flash or try another card:  
Done it over 10 times already.  Tried 2 different -32GB SD cards, 1 250GB SD cards. 

There is nothing plugged in beside HDMI and power. 

It's not overheating, original power supply used. 

I know people gonna come and tell me how wonderful it is and so on and yes I have used it on a Pi2 with 1GB of RAM. 

Of course the issue is, with 1GB of RAM  I can't even run Kstars to begin with, let alone take pictures and save them at the same time. 
Pi4 should run it like a champion, but not without updates.  Regular Raspberry OS runs fine. Astroberry OS doesn't. That's just the plain fact. 

I'm just warning newbies, don't waste your money on the newest Pi, unless you are an expert in Linux programming and able to work yourself out of all the glitches and hang ups. 

It's an astrophotography software and it's aimed to be one, then they need to work out their issues. There should be at least a 64bit version out already and being nearly 1 year behind without any updates, this software is headed into obsoletistan. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 23 June 2021 - 07:02 PM.

• Xeroid likes this

#2 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:08 PM

Not sure what's different in your setup, but I'm using Astroberry OS on Rpi4, both 4GB and 8GB (ram) versions, and it works fine.

I'm not going to say it's perfect, it has its issues, in particular with USB powersave stuff, but it's been my capture SBC for a while now with only minor issues - not at all the major issues you're reporting.

Maybe try to keep the OS in the standard 16-32GB sd cards, and use an external USB hard (or other) drive as storage? That tends to be a sensible measure in all versions of the Raspberry Pi OS, as the SD card can be insufferably slow, finicky and fragile (no write endurance, for example).

Also... are you sure your power supply is up to snuff? What you describe sounds a lot like what happens when the Pi doesn't get enough power. A 2.4A 5V power supply is the bare minimum you need, most USB power supplies are 2.1A or less. If you can get a 3A better still.

Edited by klaussius, 23 June 2021 - 07:10 PM.

• NuTek likes this

#3 idclimber

idclimber

Apollo

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

I have a pi4 somewhere that I tried to setup for imaging last year. I gave up as it was simply too slow for what I needed done. 

#4 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:49 PM

I have a pi4 somewhere that I tried to setup for imaging last year. I gave up as it was simply too slow for what I needed done. 

That it is.

I benchmarked it the other day, and for the kind of processing I do while capturing it's ~10x slower than an i7-8650U.

It's still fast enough for DSO, unless you're trying to do live stacking, lucky imaging and that kind of stuff that really requires quite a bit of CPU power and I/O bandwidth.

#5 idclimber

idclimber

Apollo

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:52 PM

That it is.

I benchmarked it the other day, and for the kind of processing I do while capturing it's ~10x slower than an i7-8650U.

It's still fast enough for DSO, unless you're trying to do live stacking, lucky imaging and that kind of stuff that really requires quite a bit of CPU power and I/O bandwidth.

I moved over to a to a Windows NUC. Specifically a Gemini Lake N4100 with 4g of DDR ram and a 512 SSD drive. I think this may not be enough for me. At least when running TSX which I need with my MX+. I have been using an old MacBook Pro that has a quad core i7 processor. That works perfectly but I need move to Windows if I want to also want to run Voyager for my automation. 

I was looking at the various Intel branded NUCs earlier today with i7 processors. I may wind up that route just for reliability when I move this to a permeant observatory if I ever get around to finish designing it. 

#6 NuTek

NuTek

Sputnik

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:09 PM

I'm sure your having issues but I wanted to let people know not to ignore the Astroberry platform.

I am running it on a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB version with a 128GB SD card.   All is working well for me. 

I have used both ethernet and wifi to remote into it.  I use Kstars/Ekos/Indi on it.  Alignment w/ plate solving (approx 3-5 sec),

Guiding and image capture are being controlled by it.  I know that it's possible to be stable w/ a SD card greater than 32gb.

The only thing I have plugged directly into the RPi is an External WIFI dongle as it improved my WIFI signal to my pier,

and/or an ethernet cable and the powered external USB 3.0 hub.  The hub is connected to my imaging and guide camera, EQ6-R Pro

mount, ZWO EFW, ZWO EAF and external GPS dongle. I have also connected a 500GB  external hard drive on occasion to store images.

Perhaps you have a defective RPi or power supply?  Have you seen the information on USB 3.0  signals sometimes interfering with Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz?

I use a 5ghz Wi-Fi connection without issue, however sometimes a 100ft hardwired CAT5e ethernet cable speeds up transfers of images when I 

want to start pulling/processing images while it's still imaging.

Note: I have also periodically updated the OS and various components by running :

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Sorry if this comment doesn't help solve your issues, but I just wanted to let others know that it does work (and well) for me.

#7 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:24 PM

+1 for the comments about power.  That would be my first guess.  My 4GB unit is quite reliable in most regards.  I'm using a 64gb SD card.  Software is CCDciel for the top level manager, ASTAP for plate solving, and PHD2 for guiding. 

The distro is not intended to be used for image processing, which means EAA and Planetary imaging could be tough.  And, yes, downloading a 50mb sub takes longer than it would on a much faster machine.  A fair tradeoff in my book for the compact form, low power, quick booting, and ease of management.

Software upgrades are handled by Synaptic.  Look under Preferences in the system menu.  They don't release a whole new distro very often, and don't need to.  Just takes a few mouse clicks, then sit back with a cold one while it does its magic.

I have heard some say the 8GB Pi is more prone to problems, but don't know if the reports have aged past their usefulness.  4GB is enough RAM for at-mount data acquisition.  I've not run out yet.  64 gig for the SD card is also an easy one to back up as an image, and easy to restore / clone if the card is damaged for whatever reason.  It will even run on a 16 gb SD, but you'll need a thumb drive or similar for the camera images.

The only issue I've had on a reproducible basis is if I click things too quickly.  Getting ahead of CCDciel (where my experience is) tends to cause the app to "go away".  Restarting the app is quick, however.

#8 ExploringTheFrontier

ExploringTheFrontier

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:19 PM

I wanted to also say that Astroberry on Raspberry Pi 4 works just fine as an acquisition platform.

I have one attached to my scope, communicating to:

- Canon DSLR for imaging

- ZWO EAF

- QHY 462C camera for guiding

- external USB dongle

- external WiFi dongle (just more stable than the internal, higher gain antennas)

- Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 PMC-8 mount

It runs just fine using KStars/EKOS. There are some finnicy things, and I wish updates to KStars and INDI hit the repos a little quicker, but it works for me. Plate solving is typically on the 3-6 second time frame.

I don’t try livestacking. If I wanted that, I would definitely offload to a second machine and auto-upload the captures to it.

I was running on a 128GB microSD card for the past 8 months. I recently got a 128GB USB 3 SSD, which I’m now using to boot from. Had heard that the microSD cards can fail about once a year, and figured I’d just get something reliable and long term.

I’d echo what others here have said - it sounds like a power issue. You need 3.1A. The RPi Foundation sells a $6 adapter that meets the specs.

#9 joeytroy

joeytroy

Viking 1

• Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:33 PM

I find Astroberry is very bloated. Running just Ubuntu Server and INDI is much quicker.. Been wanting to create some videos on it but right now I’m mountless and telescopeless so can’t do to much at the current time till I get my loaner gear next month from my local Astro club. However can’t leave out the fact individuals in my community think it’s fun starting fires so no clear skies for some time because of all the smoke.

https://www.kob.com/...e-fire/6149813/

#10 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:54 PM

I'm not giving up though. I'm thinking of getting a copy of the Stellarmate OS instead. I don't feel like I should waste this little computer.  I also know the ASIAR is also a P3 or P4 and it runs on a slimmed down Linux OS made specifically for ZWO hardware and some DSLR compatibility. 

My power supply came with the Pi4 (Canal Kit) , so unless they are selling the wrong power supply with their kit, then it should be no issue. Also it's plugged in beside me into the outlet.  I haven't even had a chance to connect anything , beside trying to get the OS to load and run for at least 10 minutes, but it looks like I can't even do that. 
And yes I am also a Windows centered person (and Mac) , but I have used Linux quite often , I had it dual boot for some years, but I never had this much issue, just trying to run a basic boot up and run. I searched the raspberry forums, trying to find solutions, and I found some people complaining about 32GB or larger SD cards are just not doing well with Raspberry OS.  There is even less information regarding the Astroberry OS. There just aren't enough people using it.  I tried to find some youtube videos, I end up with some youtuber having issues himself, trying to run a Canon camera. 
I know it's all voluntary work and I truly appriciate what they are trying to do, but as far as testing and implementing, they got issues they need to work out and simplfy the process of getting these hardware all work together and make a better interface. People already have their work cut out with all kinds of technical issues for astrophotography (my powered USB hub on my other rig just died after 1 month) .  
I'm trying to put together a quick- portable setup , but looks like my $200 laptop is sticking around a bit longer. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 23 June 2021 - 11:57 PM.

#11 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:16 AM

Just googling the CanaKit says the PSU is a 3.5A one, so it should work. It might be defective though.

If you have a USB phone charger around with enough current rating and a USB-C cable, you might want to try it out, just to verify. I've found 2.5A is enough to boot, and even run if you plug everything else into a powered USB hub.

I see the CanaKit has a cooler fan as well. That may be consuming some power, so you might want to try unplugging it. The Pi4 can heat up considerably indoors, but I've never had any temperature issues outdoors when imaging. Plenty of passive cooling from the cool night air.

Edited by klaussius, 24 June 2021 - 12:16 AM.

#12 joeytroy

joeytroy

Viking 1

• Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:17 AM

Depending on your hardware the ASIAIR Pro is a very easy and a very portable unit. Not going to start the AAP vs NUC conversation but if you want ease of use and run from a cell phone / tablet through an intuitive application, the AAP is a solid solution. Only downside is your locked into the ZWO ecosystem. However you can also run Astroberry, Stellermate or Ubuntu sever with INDI or Indigo from the AAP, so lots of options just depends on what you want.

https://youtube.com/...EOTQwggW_xf052m

#13 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:36 AM

Ok, so the power sounds fine.  I've not had trouble with any of the canakits.

A quick test...  When you're having trouble with the system hanging up, look at the two LEDs on the corner of the board, near where the USB-C power connects.  One is just a "power on" LED, the other is the "disk" activity LED.  If that second LED is stuck "ON" coincident with the hangs, you've got a bad SD card.  Yep, first-hand experience here...

Also an observation, that the 8 gb Pi really wants a 64 bit O/S, and Astroberry is 32 bits.  So, I believe that upper 4 gig of memory isn't being used (and a 4 gb model would be just as effective).

#14 DeanCN

DeanCN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dundas, ON

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:21 AM

I run the 4B+ 8Gb Pi with purchased Stellarmate OS.   I develop on Linux (Ubuntu) systems in my job: a plus

in terms of addressing issues such as GPS, WiFi connectivity, port assignments etc.  That said I can appreciate

the frustration if you are not fluent in a definitely more hands on ecosystem.  The KStars/Ekos

forum and community is where you would be better served in terms of focused support.  Just like CN,

there are many experienced and helpful members (users / contributors / developers) who are responsive and

ready to help.  I wouldn't give up on a Pi just yet: after abandoning a direct ethernet connection and getting a

range booster for my router, the Pi perked up and I use it strictly for acquiring subs (remotely from inside the house

with VNC viewer).  I unplug the external SSD drive and offload data to my main processing computer for all the hard work.

#15 astrokeith

astrokeith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:09 AM

This is sort of a rant I understand. I'm just trying to save a headache to others. 

This is quite a provocative title I know, but after trying for an entire week.  It is what it is. 

I know it's a free software, I can understand a tiny team working on it voluntarily, having even the Raspberry OS can't be a large team, I can see this OS receives no love. 

The last time this OS was updated is August 20th. 

Second, it doesn't work well with Pi4 - 8GB.  The regular Raspberry Os is got updates to work with Pi4 but Astroberry OS didn't. 

Third - Both the regular Raspberry Pi OS and Astroberry OS doesn't work well with 32GB or larger SD cards.  My 250GB is useless. 

Issues: 
1. The unit freezes during load, during various stages, never makes it to the splash screen or to the desktop

2. The unit freezes when it's already loaded to the splash screen after certain amount of time

3. Network is glitchy at best, useless at most. I have it frozen up without being able to do anything  

The reason I'm not going to re-flash or try another card:  
Done it over 10 times already.  Tried 2 different -32GB SD cards, 1 250GB SD cards. 

There is nothing plugged in beside HDMI and power. 

It's not overheating, original power supply used. 

I know people gonna come and tell me how wonderful it is and so on and yes I have used it on a Pi2 with 1GB of RAM. 

Of course the issue is, with 1GB of RAM  I can't even run Kstars to begin with, let alone take pictures and save them at the same time. 
Pi4 should run it like a champion, but not without updates.  Regular Raspberry OS runs fine. Astroberry OS doesn't. That's just the plain fact. 

I'm just warning newbies, don't waste your money on the newest Pi, unless you are an expert in Linux programming and able to work yourself out of all the glitches and hang ups. 

It's an astrophotography software and it's aimed to be one, then they need to work out their issues. There should be at least a 64bit version out already and being nearly 1 year behind without any updates, this software is headed into obsoletistan. 

I think you have a specific problem somewhere - rather than Astroberry in general.

I currently have 4 instances of Astroberry running on separate RPI4's (4GB) with no issues on any of them. I have many other RPi's running doing various tasks. They aren't GP computers but when used to do specific work they can be very effective. The only minor issues I have are with the RPi itself and not astroberry.

These are.

Keep to 32GB cards or less.

The Pi internal wifi antenna is 'pants' and dont expect more than 10ft reliable performance.

Use only class 10 A1 SanDisk or Samsung cards from a good supplier. So  many of the clones have got bugs in them.

Keith

#16 Deesk06

Deesk06

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:49 AM

I'm not giving up though. I'm thinking of getting a copy of the Stellarmate OS instead. I don't feel like I should waste this little computer.  I also know the ASIAR is also a P3 or P4 and it runs on a slimmed down Linux OS made specifically for ZWO hardware and some DSLR compatibility. 

My power supply came with the Pi4 (Canal Kit) , so unless they are selling the wrong power supply with their kit, then it should be no issue. Also it's plugged in beside me into the outlet.  I haven't even had a chance to connect anything , beside trying to get the OS to load and run for at least 10 minutes, but it looks like I can't even do that. 
And yes I am also a Windows centered person (and Mac) , but I have used Linux quite often , I had it dual boot for some years, but I never had this much issue, just trying to run a basic boot up and run. I searched the raspberry forums, trying to find solutions, and I found some people complaining about 32GB or larger SD cards are just not doing well with Raspberry OS.  There is even less information regarding the Astroberry OS. There just aren't enough people using it.  I tried to find some youtube videos, I end up with some youtuber having issues himself, trying to run a Canon camera. 
I know it's all voluntary work and I truly appriciate what they are trying to do, but as far as testing and implementing, they got issues they need to work out and simplfy the process of getting these hardware all work together and make a better interface. People already have their work cut out with all kinds of technical issues for astrophotography (my powered USB hub on my other rig just died after 1 month) .  
I'm trying to put together a quick- portable setup , but looks like my $200 laptop is sticking around a bit longer. 

Just wanted to let you know that I use Stellarmate OS. I ended up just buying it for the reliability and to also "donate" to ksars/Ekos. I have not had many issues at all. I run an RPI4 4GB with a 128GB SD card no problem. Absolutely love my little RPi. It small, light and does exactly what I need it to do, night after night. I have never used astroberry but have hear others are successful with it. If you have any questions about stellarmate OS then let me know. 

Edited by Deesk06, 24 June 2021 - 06:50 AM.

#17 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:32 AM

From various posts about using RaspberryPI (or similar) setups for AP, it seems to me that a lot has to do with expectations. I have a few setups that just work, and learned to keep things simple. Here are a few things that helped me with the stability of the setups:
- keep OS and additional software installed on a small-ish SD card, and configure all the AP software (INDI drivers too, where configurable) to use a separate 256GB SSD for things that are heavy on reads or writes. Pretty much all that EKOS and INDI write (image files, log files) I configure to point to a folder on the SSD. The idea is to keep the SD card activity at the bare minimum.
- simplify the use of USB, network and power consumption, by having a separate, powered, USB hub, as well as using a network extender and the PI connected to it on the wired interface. My mount is also connected via Ethernet to the same network extender. To avoid interference, I also use USB2, the difference in speed is not an actual limitation for me. I did my math for and tested with my equipment, maybe you have different transfer needs.
- use a proper power adapter. I measured the power consumption during various operations and as a result I settled for 3A adapters for the setups. Now I use a 12 to 5V power converter plugged into my 12V main source, as everything else is on 12V.
- minimize network traffic. Files get stored locally on the SSD, I copy them via command line (secure copy) once the imaging is done. I connect via VNC from time to time during the imaging session, just to see that stuff works as planned, mostly checking guiding and focus. On occasion, I copy the latest image to my Mac indoors just to see all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#18 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:45 AM

Another satisfied StellarMate OS user here. Yes, I recognize that "mine works fine" isn't much help for you. Still, it's data, and saying it is intended as "don't give up hope", not to imply that you're doing something wrong.

Jasem is just one guy, but he appears to take support really seriously. I have heard first-hand accounts of him remoting into people's Pis and literally spending hours running down problems. Most of the time the community can answer my questions, but for the really stubborn stuff, the man is a bulldog.

I have certainly encountered mysterious issues in the past, but Ekos's rich feature set and cross-platform compatibility (including the INDI-only-at-the-scope mode) have kept me willing to work them out. Recently I was having issues with the system seeming to just completely thrash -- the user interface would slow to the point where a single click would take 30-45 seconds to be recognized and reflected in the UI. (That seems to be something with the KStars window; if I can keep that minimized, I never have a problem.) I have a new SSD drive on the way, when that arrives I'm hoping to set the Pi up to boot from it and see if I can get it working even better.

I use plate solving as my personal benchmark for astro platforms. On my Pi 3b, it never worked in less than 30 seconds, frequently took over a minute, and in fact failed for my DSLR often as not (though the 1280x960 image off my guide cam worked fine). On the 4 with 4GB, a blind solve is maybe 10 seconds, and one with pointing info (e.g., polar alignment) is 2-5.

StellarMate OS is doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the OS and with KStars/Ekos -- the latter is no surprise, since Jasem is the maintainer for those programs. All in all, it's the second-best $50 I've ever spent in astrophotography. Only the $40 for The Deep-Sky Imaging Primer beats it for value.

• Deesk06 likes this

#19 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Apollo

• Loc: Traverse City, MI, USA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 02:51 AM

There's a relatively easy way to check for power problems. Every time the Pi detects a dip in voltage, it logs it. From a terminal, type "grep -i voltage /var/log/kern.log*"

$ grep -i voltage /var/log/kern.log*
/var/log/kern.log:Jun 20 16:50:48 telescope kernel: [64648.378407] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log:Jun 20 16:50:52 telescope kernel: [64652.408642] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 17 02:19:08 telescope kernel: [ 2145.387152] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 17 02:19:25 telescope kernel: [ 2161.515400] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 17 02:19:31 telescope kernel: [ 2167.563633] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 17 02:19:35 telescope kernel: [ 2171.595645] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 17 02:19:45 telescope kernel: [ 2181.676062] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 17 02:19:51 telescope kernel: [ 2187.724111] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 02:12:48 telescope kernel: [25817.479383] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 02:12:54 telescope kernel: [25823.527470] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:17:39 telescope kernel: [  826.829191] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:18:42 telescope kernel: [  889.325713] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:18:44 telescope kernel: [  891.342120] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:18:54 telescope kernel: [  901.421839] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:18:56 telescope kernel: [  903.437969] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:19:20 telescope kernel: [  927.630114] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:23:04 telescope kernel: [ 1151.408688] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:23:28 telescope kernel: [ 1175.600891] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:24:08 telescope kernel: [ 1215.921188] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:24:27 telescope kernel: [ 1234.065508] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
/var/log/kern.log.1:Jun 19 04:24:33 telescope kernel: [ 1240.113448] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)

• Avocette likes this

#20 astrokeith

astrokeith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2021 - 03:09 AM

A common power problem I have found is cheapo USB leads.

The older micro-USB lead on Pi3's were the worst as there are no standards - I've measured more than an ohm on 1 metre leads. Thats a volt drop at least.

The newer USB-C should be Ok as there are standards to which leads should be made. However some bought from a certain on-line supplier beginning with 'A' dont comply.

It dosent matter how many amps your supply is capable of, if the lead has high resistance you're in trouble.

I've standardised all my kit to run off 12V so it makes field trips easier to manage. My Pi's have a 6Amp, 12v to 5V converter mounted in their cases and wired directly to the power pins on the GPIO. The converter will operate down to 8.5V so I get lots of capacity out of my batteries.

• unimatrix0 likes this

#21 isset

isset

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:34 AM

I use Astroberry on Rpi4 4GB, I use Ekos, it works stably and without any problems. On board I have heq5 (connected via bluetooth), QHYCFW2 filter wheel, QHY9 camera, dreamfocuset, T7C camera for guiding. In addition, a wi-fi router is connected to Rpi, because the wi-fi signal from Rpi is very weak.

#22 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 08:46 AM

Well, last night, fiddling with the Pi, I sucessfully booted into the Astroberry OS. I know, it's crazy, but I've been unable to even get to the desktop, and even now during the booting process there were some hang ups.  It seems like the system is getting stuck on something and then picks up again, it can be felt by just trying to move the mouse, which is directly connected to the Pi. 

Launching Kstars (again, nothing is connected to the Pi, but a keyboard/mouse/hdmi cable) further slowed the machine down to almost just barely crawling at some points. This is my 2nd 32GB SD card, just to be clear of any issues coming from SD card problem. I let it run all night. By the way, I do have those tiny heatsinks placed in and a tiny fan connected inside and even tried without the fan, make sure it's not the one causing the issue. The power adapter is fine, I just know that when I used my old Pi with a generic adapter, I had the little lightning bolt flashing, telling me that it's not receiving enough power. I don't have that issue here, it's directly from the Canal Kit. 
Regardless, it still feels like my old Pi with its inadequate amount of RAM and weak power supply seemed faster running Astroberry OS.  The last thing I can think of is this Pi4 unit being defective.  My next move is, download and flash the plain Raspberry OS and run that and see if it bogs down also. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 25 June 2021 - 08:47 AM.

#23 astrokeith

astrokeith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:01 AM

Well, last night, fiddling with the Pi, I sucessfully booted into the Astroberry OS. I know, it's crazy, but I've been unable to even get to the desktop, and even now during the booting process there were some hang ups.  It seems like the system is getting stuck on something and then picks up again, it can be felt by just trying to move the mouse, which is directly connected to the Pi. 

Launching Kstars (again, nothing is connected to the Pi, but a keyboard/mouse/hdmi cable) further slowed the machine down to almost just barely crawling at some points. This is my 2nd 32GB SD card, just to be clear of any issues coming from SD card problem. I let it run all night. By the way, I do have those tiny heatsinks placed in and a tiny fan connected inside and even tried without the fan, make sure it's not the one causing the issue. The power adapter is fine, I just know that when I used my old Pi with a generic adapter, I had the little lightning bolt flashing, telling me that it's not receiving enough power. I don't have that issue here, it's directly from the Canal Kit. 
Regardless, it still feels like my old Pi with its inadequate amount of RAM and weak power supply seemed faster running Astroberry OS.  The last thing I can think of is this Pi4 unit being defective.  My next move is, download and flash the plain Raspberry OS and run that and see if it bogs down also. 

You definitely have a problem. From what you say about issues during booting, I suspect the SD card first. What brand is it? I strongly recommend Sandisk class 10 A1 32GB.

Even controlling my Pi's remotely, I get imperceptible lag on Astroberry. Directly connected as you were I get zero. I dont bother with the heatsinks.

The Pi has a built in card reading diagnostic test. Its in main menu > accessories.  A fail is a fail, but a pass might not be completely conclusive. If you've got a bad copy of astroberry written to your card, the test wont show it up.

Edited by astrokeith, 25 June 2021 - 09:27 AM.

#24 Deesk06

Deesk06

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:37 AM

Another satisfied StellarMate OS user here. Yes, I recognize that "mine works fine" isn't much help for you. Still, it's data, and saying it is intended as "don't give up hope", not to imply that you're doing something wrong.

Jasem is just one guy, but he appears to take support really seriously. I have heard first-hand accounts of him remoting into people's Pis and literally spending hours running down problems. Most of the time the community can answer my questions, but for the really stubborn stuff, the man is a bulldog.

I have certainly encountered mysterious issues in the past, but Ekos's rich feature set and cross-platform compatibility (including the INDI-only-at-the-scope mode) have kept me willing to work them out. Recently I was having issues with the system seeming to just completely thrash -- the user interface would slow to the point where a single click would take 30-45 seconds to be recognized and reflected in the UI. (That seems to be something with the KStars window; if I can keep that minimized, I never have a problem.) I have a new SSD drive on the way, when that arrives I'm hoping to set the Pi up to boot from it and see if I can get it working even better.

I use plate solving as my personal benchmark for astro platforms. On my Pi 3b, it never worked in less than 30 seconds, frequently took over a minute, and in fact failed for my DSLR often as not (though the 1280x960 image off my guide cam worked fine). On the 4 with 4GB, a blind solve is maybe 10 seconds, and one with pointing info (e.g., polar alignment) is 2-5.

StellarMate OS is doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the OS and with KStars/Ekos -- the latter is no surprise, since Jasem is the maintainer for those programs. All in all, it's the second-best $50 I've ever spent in astrophotography. Only the $40 for The Deep-Sky Imaging Primer beats it for value.

I am one of those people. When I first started using this program I was having issues(mostly user error, lol) He went in and adjusted my settings and went over a few things with me. Really awesome person. I have donated additionally since buying Stellarmate OS and I plan to do so again. 

#25 DeanCN

DeanCN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dundas, ON

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:08 PM

that is a good diagnostic to do: just flash the bare bones 32-bit Pi OS.   If you can install a gui driven resource monitor like conky it may make

identifying issues simpler.  I tinkered with Astroberry when I first got into this hobby and didn't like all the extras it provides (why provide

CCDiel when you have KStars/Ekos?).  I prefer to keep things relatively lean and mean, so the official SM OS is a good fit for me.  The price is

well worth it and you can file personal support tickets which get resolved promptly.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics