•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M101

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 astrohound24

astrohound24

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:38 PM

I played around a little more with processing. I have a long way to go but here is a JPEG of what I have so far. So far I have imaged M81, M101, and M51. The fact that I can image a galaxy at all makes me really happy.

Attached Thumbnails

• cloudypic.jpg

• jim kuhns, mikewayne3, zxx and 10 others like this

#2 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Vanguard

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:49 PM

Pretty amazing feeling, right? First time I pointed my camera to the sky and got the smudge that was Andromeda in the frame I was just about jumping up and down for joy. Called the wife out... was excitedly pointing at the camera's screen saying, "LOOOK!!! It's a galaxy! I got a picture of another GALAXY!!!" She was nowhere near as excited as I was. Now, she'll ask me, "Are you going out to do your stars tonight?". That's what she calls it... going out to do my stars.

Oh well... I'm still just as excited now as I was then, when I point the camera and scope up to the skies and get an image :).

• siriusandthepup, astrohound24, Dynan and 5 others like this

#3 astrohound24

astrohound24

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:10 PM

Pretty amazing feeling, right? First time I pointed my camera to the sky and got the smudge that was Andromeda in the frame I was just about jumping up and down for joy. Called the wife out... was excitedly pointing at the camera's screen saying, "LOOOK!!! It's a galaxy! I got a picture of another GALAXY!!!" She was nowhere near as excited as I was. Now, she'll ask me, "Are you going out to do your stars tonight?". That's what she calls it... going out to do my stars.

Oh well... I'm still just as excited now as I was then, when I point the camera and scope up to the skies and get an image :).

I know the feeling. I think the night I hooked up my EQ6R and my Air Pro and cooled camera was really exciting. When it slewed to a target and centered itself plate solving I was completely amazed. I thought wow just think what I can do with this thing. I get excited and yell for my kids and wife to come look. I always end up being the most excited along with my daughter. My little girl is always down with it. She sees the point and gets it.
  • zxx likes this

#4 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:10 PM

Nice work. Keep it up! Remember if your weather is good but the moon is up you can always shoot clusters. Isn’t plate solving simply magic?!
Johnny you’re absolutely correct. You just described my back yard on that first night!

Edited by Desertanimal, 23 June 2021 - 08:12 PM.

• astrohound24 likes this

#5 astrohound24

astrohound24

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:16 PM

Yes plate solving is just wow. Just watching all that work together to me is fun.

#6 Jay6879

Jay6879

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:22 PM

Oh well... I'm still just as excited now as I was then, when I point the camera and scope up to the skies and get an image smile.gif.

Ha this was me last year when I first started out. I was out looking at Jupiter and Saturn with my Starblast 4.5 and decided to try starhopping to find andromeda. It's almost ridiculous how excited I was to finally find that smudge in my eyepiece, the only difference was I was alone out near a golf course. No one around to share the excitement. I can only imagine thr laughs if someone had a camera trained on me the moment I found it.

#7 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:39 PM

Yes plate solving is just wow. Just watching all that work together to me is fun.

I remember the first time I got and image to solve. I was equally amazed at how fast it can be done once everything is configured correctly. 

Paramount and TSX owners routinely do calibration routines that use 100 or more points across the sky. This increases pointing/tracking as well as generating a solution for polar alignment. This only takes about 30 minutes and this is when the sky is still dark blue and too early to image. I will often just watch it work in total amazement. 

#8 sbharrat

sbharrat

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:27 AM

She was nowhere near as excited as I was. Now, she'll ask me, "Are you going out to do your stars tonight?". That's what she calls it... going out to do my stars.

That's funny!! My partner seems to have settled on the same phrase. Honestly, I think she is just being careful to not ask me if I working on a nebula, globular cluster, or galaxy. I think I might have in the past bored her with explaining the differences and why I made the choice lol.gif

• astrohound24 and jonnybravo0311 like this

#9 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:32 AM

Nice work!  I spent 5 more hours on M101 last night to close out my run on this target.  This is only my second DSO.  Here I thought you could spend a few hours on a target an get a respectable image of it.  Four nights and 15 hours later, here we are.  But what an image it will be!  Kind of fun actually.  And better still that my ASIAir runs the whole show for me while I sleep.

#10 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:22 AM

Right there with you. I still have that first picture of Andromeda, taken with a zoom lens piggyback on a friend's Celestron C8 that he was guiding with a reticle eyepiece.

Also re spouses/SOs: My wife is an artist herself (tho in a different medium). She doesn't gush very often, and I think the first couple astro images evoked more of a "I can see you're really pleased" reaction. But when I do get a "wow" out of her, it feels like I've won APOD.

When she asked me to do an Andromeda so she could put it up...that was a good day.

• astrohound24, jonnybravo0311 and sbharrat like this

#11 astrohound24

astrohound24

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:49 AM

Here is a link to better resolution on Astrobin. This is what I had before I cranked up the saturation some on it. All this processing is a slow learning process for me. It’s fun to learn though and a challenge.

https://www.astrobin.../full/r9pvx9/0/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics