•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Second light- 06/23/2021

Observing Report
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:23 PM

20210623_152903.jpg

Okay, so second light went a lot better than first light.  I didnt need any extension tubes because of the scope's internal one.

Look at the case, it is brass looking as well.  Matches the scope nicely. I like it, although simple. 

20210623_150425.jpg

Seeing 2/5 that transitioned to 3/5 (average) when fully set up. A lot of intermitted cloud but thats okay, at least I am finally get out observing again.

I went after double stack viewing right away with respects to tuning. I tuned it well, although the instructions were a bit off on one of the tuners closest to the eyepiece.  But I figured it out.

Todays full disk had about 5 filaments, the one by the active region was very long and full of detail. A sinuous strand that stuck out and drew my attention. 

I saw a dual large, almost a hedgerow prom.  Looked like two triangles connected a the apex, with empty spaces devoid of plasma cut out at the bases.

There was a least 3 other large proms on the periphery.

I think I will start sketching again, makes my words easier to interpret. 

All in all, I really like this scope.  It will be nice to take only this scope to do both white light and hydrogen alpha, when bringing my wedge.

Hope you all got some sun.

• peterm, rigel123, Charles B. and 4 others like this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:26 PM

This gong image was closest to what I saw in the eyepiece, but off by a couple hours.  As a result, the major "hedgerow dual triangle proms" don't quite look exactly as I saw them.  I pretty much saw all major features here, including the light bright spot on the other side of the disk from the active region, with the proms that almost looked like they were trying to connect to a loop prom at approx 10 oclock on this gong image.

20210624011130Mh.jpg

#3 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:27 PM

Great 2nd light Tyson!  Glad the scope is delivering great views!

• Tyson M likes this

#4 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:59 PM

I'm so glad to find a visual solar Ha observing report! I don't think I've ever read one. Thank you for posting. I'd like to have a Solar Ha scope but it seems all anyone does with them is take pictures so it's hard to know what their visual value is. They get some really GREAT shots but the activity doesn't interest me. It's great to hear what can be seen.

Edited by havasman, 24 June 2021 - 12:13 AM.

• mikerepp and Tyson M like this

#5 chemman

chemman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Tyson for the report.  It is nice to hear descriptions for a change from the imaging.  Imaging in the mind is what your post is all about and I find it to be great!  

I hope you do take up the sketch pad, i would also like to see on paper what you do well forming in my mind with words.

Thanks

Chuck

• mikerepp and Tyson M like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observing Report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics