•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Your thoughts on this possible scope side mini pc?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:42 PM

Have a beelink u57 but haven't messed with it, I think it's a little too much for scope side and was thinking of turning it into something for inside computer stuff. The u57 makes me a little nervous leaving it outside unattended and it also has a fan I'm not sure I can turn off. With my lack of getting out the u57 might be better served elsewhere.

Doing a random Amazon search I came across this off brand cheapo windows 10 pro loaded fan less device

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07TYLRPNP/

I think I'd need to add an SSD but that's not an issue. Thoughts?

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:08 PM

I do think the beelink u57 is very good for a mount side PC as is,  although I could not install a Crucial 256GB SSD using the spare SATA HDD connector, appears to be a bug in the bios.

installing a 2.5" SATA mechanical hard drive works.

Runs all the PC astro software with no hiccups.

Reminds me to check the Beelink Forums to see if they have a fix...ahem...

PS I just checked and no fix ....6 months?

hmmm, me thinks its tech support stinks..

Edited by Xeroid, 23 June 2021 - 09:22 PM.

#3 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:40 PM

Is the fan in the u57 going to be an issue scope mounted? I guess I could open it up and unplug it and hope the bios (or windows) don't freak out.

There was thoughts (which helped keep the PC in the box) of grabbing a spare main drive for it and installing Linux on it but oh the joys that OS gives me at times...

Another thing that has kept the u57 in the box is lack of imaging time and not quite sure where to start on the loading of software, I think a few things need to be done in a specific order while setting drivers up.

A question: is it possible to use the u57 on desktop when not in use controlling the scope? Just pull off desk and put at scope when imaging or is it best to keep it for that specific task?

Ugh. Need some downtime with clear skies to actually use the stuff otherwise ideas start cranking and then go off on tangents :(

#4 TAK346

TAK346

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:58 PM

I have been looking at the Beelink mini pc myself.  Is there a site or video which shows how it would work in the field?  I can see loading all the required control software at home with a monitor, keypad and mouse attached.  How do I control it in the field without those accessories?  Is there a step by step how-to guide somewhere?

#5 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:47 PM

TAK346,

Once the U57 is setup with your desired software, one can use WiFi + Windows Remote Desktop to view/manage the remote U57.  There's even an Android version of Remote Desktop as well.

#6 gmiller123456

gmiller123456

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:53 PM

If you check the refurbished markets you can get something a lot better for less.

Just for example:

https://www.ebay.com...5gzhTy&LH_BIN=1

Shop around and you should be able to find something even better.

#7 gregj888

gregj888

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:48 PM

I've got 2 of them.  Low power, ~5 watts,   I 3D printed a mount adapter for the VESA  plate so it can be mounted on my SCT's tripod leg. 

Mine is dual boot and boots to Linux.  One I got new, the other (pro model) I got off of Ebay at quite a savings. 

Won't keep up with my 6 core I5 with a good GPU, M.2 SSD and loaded with memory... but is fine for a mount, FW, camera, guider.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails

• Mini-mount-small.jpg

Edited by gregj888, 30 June 2021 - 05:49 PM.

#8 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:50 PM

Might end up tossing one in the cart on one of my next orders. Really starting to think my other solutions for this are not going to cut it. The pi with astroberry? Have issues as does the set up with Linux and ekos on the laptop. Squashed one issue, the autofocus which seems to not work for me no matter what on ekos or astroberry, by using the asiair pro but seemed to have guiding issues enough to make me wonder if it was the mount, now there are a couple threads that seem similar my issues with it, so I guess probably windows it is if I want full automation :(

Can still make use of the u57 somewhere in the house.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics