•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

In-stock (or shorter wait) alternatives to the HEQ-5 or EQ6-R?

Astrophotography Imaging Mount
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:37 PM

Wanted to treat myself to a new mount for the summer season. Had the HEQ-5 on my wishlist for a while as a replacement for my skyguider pro. Went to all the sites I know and it's slammed with an indefinite "extended" backorder, or stuff like "3-6 months". So I thought, maybe the EQ6-R is in stock somewhere and I don't mind blowing a few extra bucks for more load capacity. Same backorder alerts. Bummer.

Since these are so popular I figure there are other similarly capable mounts out there that might be more likely in stock. So are the any recommendations? My budget I am willing to stretch to about $2000 and change (ignore shipping costs for this budget) if it means I can have it for the summer. Portability is nice but not a huge deal to me and I don't see myself absolutely needing more than the ~30 lb. capacity on the HEQ-5 I originally wanted. Especially not any time soon.

Alternatively, if you know of a more obscure site or store in the chicago area that might have those in stock, let me know!

Thanks everybody.

#2 terrypaula

terrypaula

Messenger

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:15 PM

I've heard Iopteron has some in stock in quite a few locations.

• Kevin Thurman likes this

#3 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:10 PM

I've heard Iopteron has some in stock in quite a few locations.

Thank you. Looks like only a few weeks wait for their various GEM or CEM models. I think GEM28 is sufficient for my needs and seems closest to the HEQ-5. Won't miss the 2 pounds less for the foreseeable future.

#4 72Nova

72Nova

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:31 AM

I’ve been monitoring HEQ5 availability and I see that they are in stock at highpoint scientific.

#5 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:39 AM

I’ve been monitoring HEQ5 availability and I see that they are in stock at highpoint scientific.

Hey, look at that! Good catch and thank you. Hadn't checked there in a couple days.

#6 72Nova

72Nova

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:07 PM

Glad I could help out :)

I want an HEQ5 too but I’m not quite ready to make the purchase. If you get one, please report back and let us know how you like it

#7 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:47 PM

Glad I could help out smile.gif

I want an HEQ5 too but I’m not quite ready to make the purchase. If you get one, please report back and let us know how you like it

Might not be right away but I will certainly talk about it once I have a first light to share.

• 72Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Imaging, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics