•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Uncorrected Newtonian Coma Shape

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JackJohnson

JackJohnson

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:57 PM

I have been working on a ray tracing python script as a way to teach myself some vector math and learn something about optics. The

My program calculates how light bounces through a 200mm f/5 Newtonian tube (but currently ignores that the secondary mirror would create a shadow on the primary mirror). My program specifies that light rays start at a random point at the opening of the OTA and is given one of four discrete directions (pointing at the corners of an imaging chip, upper left, upper right, lower left, lower right).

I was expecting the coma to look like the "RealComa' picture (From wikipedia.

Instead I got the plot shown in the 'CalculatedComa' picture. Instead of one cone shape, there appears to be two. Is that the real shape, or is it indicative of an error in my program?

RealComa.jpg

CalculatedComa.png

#2 JackJohnson

JackJohnson

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:58 PM

I should specify, the axis of the second plot is coordinates on the imaging chip, it is just in the wrong coordinate system

#3 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:36 PM

I would say your program is working correctly.

515X3gInyEL.jpg

#4 JackJohnson

JackJohnson

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for confirming that, and the book recommendation!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics