•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Compatible counterweights for AZ Mount Pro?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bqbauer

bqbauer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:14 AM

Does anyone know if the Celestron 12 pound counterweight (part 94286) will fit on the shaft of an iOptron AZ Mount Pro?  I've seen that the weight has a bore of 19mm and others say 20mm; Celestron says it's "designed to fit" 19mm shafts.  It's such a great price for a weight of that size--about half of iOptron's and other brands.  I measured the AZ Mount Pro shaft at 19.25mm.  Has anybody tried it?

Celestron also says it fits these mounts if that helps:  Advanced VX, CG-5, CGEM, CGEM II, CGX

Other such counterweights for under $50 (sometimes this one's under $40)??

Edited by bqbauer, 24 June 2021 - 12:25 AM.

#2 biz

biz

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:53 AM

Does anyone know if the Celestron 12 pound counterweight (part 94286) will fit on the shaft of an iOptron AZ Mount Pro?  I've seen that the weight has a bore of 19mm and others say 20mm; Celestron says it's "designed to fit" 19mm shafts.  It's such a great price for a weight of that size--about half of iOptron's and other brands.  I measured the AZ Mount Pro shaft at 19.25mm.  Has anybody tried it?

Celestron also says it fits these mounts if that helps:  Advanced VX, CG-5, CGEM, CGEM II, CGX

Other such counterweights for under $50 (sometimes this one's under $40)??

19mm hole would be a bit tight to slip over the AZ pro shaft… you really need a 20mm hole for the balance weights but Of course you could always try. Steel shrinks in the cold so who knows.

When I’m machining up a puck for this shaft I cut it to 19.4mm which is a nice firm fit so 20mm is a better fit for a weight. 

If this Celestron weight is suck a good bargain then purchase it and drill the hole to suit. All you need is a 20mm drill bit and away you go.

cheers

Graham

#3 Oyaji

Oyaji

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:55 AM

On my Ioptron, I use the counterweight from my defunct AVX mount all the time.  Indeed, you can see it in this pic:  

IMG 2156 Cr2

#4 bqbauer

bqbauer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:18 AM

It does say it's designed to fit a 19mm shaft, so that would imply it's larger than 19mm.  I just don't want to waste the money, because shipping it back as a return to anywhere wouldn't be worth it.

But--if you're using a weight designed for the AVX--that's great!  I thought about boring out the hole.  Seems like the metal is likely to be pretty soft and easy to drill.

#5 biz

biz

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:22 AM

It does say it's designed to fit a 19mm shaft, so that would imply it's larger than 19mm.  I just don't want to waste the money, because shipping it back as a return to anywhere wouldn't be worth it.

But--if you're using a weight designed for the AVX--that's great!  I thought about boring out the hole.  Seems like the metal is likely to be pretty soft and easy to drill.

Most of the time these cheap weights are made from cast iron and you need to drill these nice and slow and use no cutting fluid. With normal steel , still nice and slow but use cutting fluid.

Drilling them out is really very easy.

cheers

Graham

• KJL likes this

#6 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

A 17lb CGEM weight worked just fine on my Pro.

#7 bqbauer

bqbauer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

FYI--I got my new mount from Highpoint yesterday, and also the 12lb Celestron counterweight.  It fits perfectly, like it was made for the mount.  Well worth it considering it's as much as 50% cheaper than the iOptron 11lb weight.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics