•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

dithering distance apt /phd2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 velaproxima

velaproxima

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:17 AM

hi guys and girls 

really needing some help with my dither disatance..and im wondering if someone could work this out for me

my main cam is .canon 6d m2

5.67 microns

w 35 x h 24

so image scale should be 0.866

scope is 1370mm

guide cam meade lpi  gc

3.75microns

w 4.8 x 3.6 

scope 162mm

so image scale should be 4.775 

just need a hand with what i should set the scale in apt and phd2 . not really a maths nerd so please just put it in plane english ..i dont need some hawking equation .. thanks for any help..

#2 Juno18

Juno18

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Beach, Mississippi, USA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:16 AM

According to the APT manual, a dithering distance of 3 would yield a 2 pixel dither at the guide camera. Since the difference in image scale between your guide camera and imaging camera is about 5.5x, a dithering distance setting of 3 in APT (leaving the scale set at 1.0 in PHD2) would yield an 11 pixel dither at the imaging camera.

I liked to use at least an imaging camera dither of 15 with my Nikon. Hope that this helps!

Jim

#3 velaproxima

velaproxima

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:50 PM

According to the APT manual, a dithering distance of 3 would yield a 2 pixel dither at the guide camera. Since the difference in image scale between your guide camera and imaging camera is about 5.5x, a dithering distance setting of 3 in APT (leaving the scale set at 1.0 in PHD2) would yield an 11 pixel dither at the imaging camera.

I liked to use at least an imaging camera dither of 15 with my Nikon. Hope that this helps!

Jim

awsome thanks for your help.. nice and simple lol

#4 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:13 PM

You may want to review the following thread

https://www.cloudyni...-dlsr-settings/

Here is what works for me all the time, shooting at the focal lengths from 500mm to 1370mm.

Guide scope Orion Mini - 162mm.

Guide cam pixel size 3.75

Attached Thumbnails

• Dither.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics