•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Being a first time telescope owner and not much knowledge of the sky, this website is great.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bond007

Bond007

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Memphis TN

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:23 AM

This forum here is awesome too. I’ve learned a lot in a short time. 
check out this site. It’s the night sky and it’s interactive. You can go live, fast forward and go back. All the constellations and planets. https://www.timeandd...stronomy/night/

Some of u probably know about it but for a newbie I am finding it helpful. 

• dswtan, therealdmt and teashea like this

#2 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 24 June 2021 - 10:26 AM

Welcome to C/N! flowerred.gif You will find answers to all your astronomy questions from very helpful and knowledgeable members. Remember! There are no dumb questions. There are lots of other resources to build your knowledge too. You found one already. Another great freebie is Stellarium. I have Sky Safari on my cell phone too. Ed Ting's "scopereviews.com" is great for background information. I consider him my Guru. He's got a new You Tube channel now. If you don't have an astronomy guide book yet, I suggest these two. Terence Dickinson's "NightWatch" is excellent to start this hobby. Then get Guy Consolmagno's "Turn Left at Orion." Both are an incredible sources of astro related information. Best of luck to you! waytogo.gif

p.s. When you get a chance, put what equipment you have in your signature. It helps members give you better answers if they know what you have.

Edited by sevenofnine, 24 June 2021 - 07:06 PM.

• weis14 likes this

#3 Bond007

Bond007

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the info!

#4 weis14

weis14

Viking 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:51 PM

Welcome!  I agree with all of Seven's recommendations.  I'd also put in a plug for trying to a local club and maybe go to a star party or two to meet others who can help in person.  You have a great setup for visual astronomy and there are plenty of people who consider a 10" dob a lifetime scope.  If you don't have one, you might spend the $50 to get a Telrad finder, which I find useful for all scopes, but especially for manual dobs.  

Also, even though it is hard (even for me after 20+ years) try not to go crazy reading about what others have here and are using and think that certain upgrades are necessary.  The fact is that your scope is able to show you a lifetime of objects.  A few more eyepieces might be nice (not essential), but other than that, it looks from your signature like you are ready to go.

#5 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Mariner 2

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:55 PM

I'm relatively new to astronomy too and I'll second Seven's recommendation of Stellarium ( https://stellarium.org ).  It's UI take a little getting used to, but it's a very powerful planetarium program and I use it almost every day to see what will be up, when certain planets and constellations will visible in my area, the best times of year to see things, where to locate targets when I'm in my backyard and have my laptop on a table next to me (Stellarium has a "night mode" to make everything red and not affect your night vision as much), etc.

#6 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:14 AM

You may find some of the information on astronomy, amateur astronomy, and observing presented in my post (#22) at https://www.cloudyni...mers/?p=5184287 useful, Bond007.  There are sections on various books, observing guides, stellar atlases, planispheres, planetarium programs, astronomy apps, deep-sky object observing, binocular astronomy, and urban astronomy.

#7 GUS.K

GUS.K

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Australia.

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:19 AM

check out this site. It’s the night sky and it’s interactive. You can go live, fast forward and go back. All the constellations and planets. https://www.timeandd...stronomy/night/

Welcome to the forum.

#8 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 10:55 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.  We are glad you decided to join.

#9 therealdmt

therealdmt

Viking 1

• Loc: 35° N

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:22 PM

Welcome aboard smile.gif

That is a neat service of timeanddate.com. I like that website for other things but had never thought about using if for planet rising/setting times. I might use it for Sun and Moon rise/set times actually, we’ll see. Anyway, I’ll bookmark it; might come in useful. 

#10 CeeKay

CeeKay

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 07:54 PM

Welcome to CN, Bond007... you found a terrific place to have your questions answered!

#11 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

That is good

#12 Bond007

Bond007

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the kind replies and I look forward to the comradery here in the forum.
  • GUS.K and CeeKay like this

#13 TestnDoc

TestnDoc

Viking 1

• Loc: USandA

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:41 AM

I lived in Memphis for 5 years, where I did my residency at UT/Baptist. Good memories! Welcome to the forum!

• Bond007 likes this

#14 Bond007

Bond007

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2021 - 10:55 AM

TesTnDoc, I’m about 10 miles north of Collierville. My neighbor has 60 acres on one of the highest spots in the area. Planning on going over there tonight if clouds allow. Just have to watch your step with the cow pies.
  • TestnDoc likes this

#15 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 29 June 2021 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the kind replies and I look forward to the comradery here in the forum.

welcome

#16 hlee

hlee

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 June 2021 - 04:56 PM

Welcome aboard.  I've found the Old Farmer's Almanac site useful.  You can get rise and set times for sun, moon and planets:

https://www.almanac.com/astronomy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics