•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Saturn in the morning sky

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:23 AM

Hi all,

Jupiter has now moved into a position where I can observe it before the sky is completely light.  The morning of 23rd June was nice and clear, although seeing was a little variable.  First I observed Saturn, I thought the EZ of the planet was quite bright and the belts seemed to be a little more subdued (although this could be the seeing which was around AIV).  I thought there may have been a slight greenish tint to the NPR:

Saturn.png

This is my first observation of Jupiter in the current apparition- the planet looks somewhat different since my last view of it in 2020!  The GRS is rotating into view and seems to have some greyish material around it which connects to a STropZB.  The SEB has three components and the EZ contains an orange coloured EB- the EZ(s) is lighter while the EZ(n) is darker and contains a yellowish colour.  I noticed very few festoons in the region now!  The the darker part of the NEB also seems to have shrunk somewhat:

Jupiter.png

Best wishes,

-Paul

• Special Ed, Magellanico, Mel Bartels and 13 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 24 June 2021 - 10:06 AM

Pual,

Very good sketches of Jupiter and Saturn (In the morning sky) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#3 acr_astro

acr_astro

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:54 AM

Hello Paul,

impressive sketches! What kind of technique did you use?

Clear skies

Achim

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:05 PM

Nice sketches, Paul.  The Saturn is lovely.  

I've observed Jupiter three times now and haven't noticed any festoons--they must be faint--last year they were such a vivid blue.  Probably has to do with those warmer clouds in the EZn replacing those white ammonia clouds.

#5 mdowns

mdowns

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:59 AM

Both drawings are up to the very high 'standard' we're accustomed to from you Paul,but I especially enjoyed your 'Saturn' in this post.Very well drawn.                                 Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics