•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sony a7S users - what tethering software are you using?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hanahan SC

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:58 PM

Just wanting to know what the Sony a7S users out there are using to capture imaging sessions.  I've been using Digicamcontrol with a Nikon D5500 (which is a great combo) but want to try some imaging with my new to me Sony a7s.  The Sony will only connect through wifi to Digicamcontrol and bulb shooting is not available with the a7S using DCC.  While I don't intend to go over 30s exposures, in order to use the AP functionality of DCC, you need to set the camera in bulb mode.  Thanks!

#2 DoubleStaRR

DoubleStaRR

Explorer 1

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:24 PM

I use the free Sony software Imaging edge desktop application - remote. You can set any bulb time and interval but you have to look in the settings to do it.

#3 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:40 PM

I use the free Sony software Imaging edge desktop application - remote. You can set any bulb time and interval but you have to look in the settings to do it.

The thing I don't like about Imaging Edge is if you use the interval shooting feature, the interval time has to be equal to or greater than the exposure time which adds a lot of unnecessary time to the imaging session.  That is, of course, unless I'm missing something.

• tim53 likes this

#4 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:36 PM

On my Olympus, the interval time being equal to or greater than the exposure refers to the interval between start times of each exposure.  I set the interval to a few seconds longer than the exposure so the second exposure doesn't try to start while the first is under way.  Also, not too long so there's not much down time.  I suspect it's the same with the Sony, but I don't have one.

#5 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 07:33 AM

On my Olympus, the interval time being equal to or greater than the exposure refers to the interval between start times of each exposure.  I set the interval to a few seconds longer than the exposure so the second exposure doesn't try to start while the first is under way.  Also, not too long so there's not much down time.  I suspect it's the same with the Sony, but I don't have one.

Awww, I see!  I'll try that and see if it works.  That does seem to make more sense.  Thanks for the clarification!

Edited by jasonjeremiah, 25 June 2021 - 07:34 AM.

#6 RyanLedak

RyanLedak

Lift Off

• Loc: Selma CA

Posted 07 July 2021 - 01:17 AM

I have yet to discover how to make the native Sony Remote software go beyond 30 seconds for exposure time.  How did you get it to set "any bulb time"?

I've been trying to find ways to get subs longer than 30 seconds while having the a7s tethered to my laptop for sometime now.  I've explored the added grip that holds two batteries (sucks them dry faster than the one alone).  That worked for a bit, but stopped working for some reason (probably just cheap).  Anyway, it used batteries so fast I could only get about 30-40 two minute subs out of a single charge.  

I have also tried usb splitters but to no avail.  I read a post somewhere, not sure if it was on Cloudynights about someone actually going in and doing some surgery on their intervalometer and usb cord to make them work together.  If there was a way to purchase a device that did this, I would do it.

Again, if you can get past that 30 second time limit on the Sony Remote software, I'd love to know how you do it.  The a7s is a GREAT camera for astrophotography, I've just yet to find a reliable way to get it past the 30 second mark without physically holding my mouse button.  :)

I look forward to a response from anyone on this topic.

-Ryan Ledak

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics