•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collimator tools for RC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill001

Bill001

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:18 PM

I see a variety of laser collimator tools.  

What collimator products are RC truss scope owners using that work well?

thanks,’Bill

#2 PFitzhorn

PFitzhorn

Mariner 2

• Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:47 PM

10" GSO carbon-tube (not truss tube) RC.  I've used several laser collimators, including my favorite - a Howie Glatter 2" with holographic attachment that has a small center dot surrounded by 9 or so concentric circles. About a year ago I dropped some serious $$ on a Takahashi collimating telescope and use that exclusively now.  I always follow the collimation process with a star test, although usually it's good enough that no adjustment is necessary.  If it is, it's pretty small.

#3 MCinAZ

MCinAZ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:31 AM

What collimator products are RC truss scope owners using that work well?

My preference is the DSI instructions. Equally suited to truss or tube telescopes.

• Bill001 likes this

#4 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:10 AM

I use the Tak scope for my CF which gets me really close, for touch up the DSI method. For the GSO RC only the DSI method produced acceptable results, the Tak was off. The Hotech advanced CT is spot-on accurate, but setting it up correctly takes longer than performing collimation on the stars.
  • Bill001 likes this

#5 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Messenger

• Loc: Santa Cruz and Carmel, CA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 09:47 PM

+1 to what Rasfahan said!  I use a Tak collimating scope and a Howie Glatter on my CFF RC with good results along with the DSI method.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics