•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

zwo low profile adaptor

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:02 PM

Finally got one took me 3 days to track it down had it 3d printed for 15 bucks fits just fine haven't had a chance to try it rain here in fla.

Here's a link to the printer plans

https://www.thingive...m/thing:4496197

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210624_164931.jpg

#2 torsinadoc

torsinadoc

Apollo

• Loc: Fayetteville AR

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:05 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the link. I was considering designing one myself. Saved me the effort

What filament did you use? I was considering PLA+

#3 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:48 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the link. I was considering designing one myself. Saved me the effort

What filament did you use? I was considering PLA+

I don't have a 3d printer I just found one near me had them do it took 4 days from the time I ordered it and got it. 

• torsinadoc likes this

#4 viewer

viewer

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 60N, Helsinki, Finland

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:52 PM

Very nice! Starting to regret I hunted down probably one of the last regular ones, for a higher cost, $60 including transport, waiting for it smile.gif. You came up with an enduring solution, well done!

#5 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:20 PM

Very nice! Starting to regret I hunted down probably one of the last regular ones, for a higher cost, $60 including transport, waiting for it smile.gif. You came up with an enduring solution, well done!

Sorry to say but yours will probably be canceled I had one on order for 2 months finally cancelled. I thought I did the same thing waited all this time for it. Now it's the rainy season here oh well.

#6 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 27 June 2021 - 04:59 AM

Can anyone please recommend a place to have this 3d printed?

Thanks

#7 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 27 June 2021 - 06:53 AM

I'm here in the USA (Florida) running a 3D printing summer camp/summer school for 11 - 14 year old's.  We have 10 printers and a variety of filaments.

I can certainly get my students to print some of these (how good I don't know yet) and I have a ZWO 224 to 'test' them on to ensure that the threads work.  If I were making it myself, I would probably used PETG instead, it is more robust and is less likely to warp in the heat.  Here in Florida, PLA materials will warp in the heat of a parked car, as I have found to my cost.

I'll print a couple on Monday (tomorrow) and let you know how they turn out.

Other materials, like Carbon-Fiber filled or even metal-filled are possible, but more expensive, and I have no experience either.  

Last year, at the first height of COVID we printed 10,000 ear-savers, and 5,000 face shield frames for the Veterans' Administration here in Tampa when PPE were in very short supply.

Edited by SchoolMaster, 27 June 2021 - 06:57 AM.

• torsinadoc likes this

#8 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 June 2021 - 08:19 AM

I just downloaded and sliced it for 0.1mm res and 25% infill and it uses 16g of PLA and will take 3.75 hours to print on a small (200 x 200 x 200) Anycubic Mega S.

I'd do it at home, but my printers are at school too :(

Edited by SchoolMaster, 27 June 2021 - 08:20 AM.

#9 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 27 June 2021 - 12:28 PM

Great!

Please let me know how they turn out and what the cost would be to get one shipped to MA

I can get a good solar prominence shot and send it back to the students.

Thanks

Joe

#10 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 June 2021 - 12:35 PM

Great!

Please let me know how they turn out and what the cost would be to get one shipped to MA

Thanks

Joe

I will

Our school says it's 'a private school with a public purpose' and we walk that talk.  If it works I'll send you one N/C, you can PM me your address.

I'll post some photos when I have them (and when I figure out how).  I also 3D print my own Bahtinov masks,

#11 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 June 2021 - 03:17 PM

Printed one out today and it worked, but I don't like the way the threads came out.  I'll need to do some tweaking and mess with the slicer settings.

I'm going to take my 224 camera to school so I can test-fit and tweak there.

UPDATE

I realize that I messed up with the resolution.  I printed at 0.2mm when it should have been 0.02mm!!  The smallest nozzle I have is 2mm, which limits me to 0.05mm layers.

However, the attachment in the original post says that an Ender 3 was used and it would need a 0.08mm nozzle to reach that layer height .  I don't think the Ender is that good., and I've never seen a nozzle smaller than 0.1mm

See your Solar Telescope jargon and raise you two 3D Printer Stereolithography jargon

Edited by SchoolMaster, 28 June 2021 - 05:43 PM.

• BinoGuy likes this

#12 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:36 AM

The member Alien Observatory (Pat Utah) runs a 3D printing Telescope Accessory business.  It would be better to support a fellow member's business, if possible.  See if they can make this part.

#13 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:10 PM

Pat and I both tried to print today and those threads are very tricky.  Too tricky to do for business unless $50+ is charged.   I got one good set, but discovered that the way the supports are attached prevent the adaptor from screwing into the camera until they are removed completely and my X/Y and rotary tables and the associated tools are elsewhere from my 3D printers.  I am printing another one upside down which will have the supports alongside the nosepiece, but will remove supports from the inside and thread area.

It will need a lot of cleanup, but the base and the threads should work a lot better.  My students are doing a lot of 'productive struggle'!

#14 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:44 PM

An image I took after I got the adaptor.

Attached Thumbnails

• sun062721 corono2.jpg

• BinoGuy likes this

#15 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

I don't need one myself.  I just can't see how it is supposed to fit.  I used my 224MC and it won't clear the sensor.

This was designed for the coronado  and 178 series cams to achieve critical focus. Mine just screws right on with no problems.

Edited by billtootsuds, 29 June 2021 - 05:58 PM.

#16 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:02 PM

This was designed for the coronado  and 178 series cams to achieve critical focus. Mine just screws right on with no problems.

It seems like a standard 1.25 nosepiece and fits my scopes.  I guess the 224MC has a different clearance between the threads and the sensor than the 178 does.

Is there any sign of supports on the back side of the adaptor that faces the sensor?

I have decent 3D printer experience, but still have no clue how the reported 0.02mm layer height was achieved on an Ender 3.

#17 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:30 PM

It seems like a standard 1.25 nosepiece and fits my scopes.  I guess the 224MC has a different clearance between the threads and the sensor than the 178 does.

Is there any sign of supports on the back side of the adaptor that faces the sensor?

I have decent 3D printer experience, but still have no clue how the reported 0.02mm layer height was achieved on an Ender 3.

maybe I did have to use a razor to clean up the back side, oh btw reduce the nose size by 1/4" mine it a little to long should be 1" . If someone wanted to screw in some kinda filter it will be to long if the nose it over 1"

I can't help with the 3d printer info I don't have one, never used one sorry. When I look at the back I don't see anything that looks like it was held.

#18 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2021 - 06:38 PM

maybe I did have to use a razor to clean up the back side, oh btw reduce the nose size by 1/4" mine it a little to long should be 1" . If someone wanted to screw in some kinda filter it will be to long if the nose it over 1"

I can't help with the 3d printer info I don't have one, never used one sorry. When I look at the back I don't see anything that looks like it was held.

I looked at the mechanical specs on the 224 vs the 178 they're the same not sure why you would have a issue with the sensor did you remove the red piece?

#19 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 June 2021 - 06:48 AM

Yes.  I unscrewed the ZWO adaptor between the ZWO case and the nosepiece adaptor, to expose the sensor.

My issues don't matter if the nosepiece works for you.  I'm just trying to work out how someone else did something that is 'impossible' to me.

1.  Printing at 0.02mm. ( This is like a band pass of < 0.3 Angstroms with your Coronado. How ???)

2.  Clearing the sensor.

#20 SchoolMaster

SchoolMaster

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

I tweaked some parameters and printed a good piece where the threads would screw in, but the underside of the nosepiece base will not clear the filter, or whatever it is, that sits on top of the sensor of my 224MC, so this could never work for me, and I can't see how it would work for anyone else, either.  However, it does, so I'm taking my marbles and going home.

#21 sctbrd

sctbrd

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 June 2021 - 11:41 PM

Great!

Thanks

Joe

You can ask around at local libraries, etc. Many 3D print for free. Or I did a quick search and found this: https://www.library....ting/materials/

#22 viewer

viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 July 2021 - 02:18 AM

Sorry to say but yours will probably be canceled I had one on order for 2 months finally cancelled. I thought I did the same thing waited all this time for it. Now it's the rainy season here oh well.

Got it anyhow, appears to be metal. All in all €60 from Holland to Finland, so your idea is more enduring smile.gif

#23 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2021 - 10:07 AM

Got it anyhow, appears to be metal. All in all €60 from Holland to Finland, so your idea is more enduring smile.gif

Thats great

• viewer likes this

#24 viewer

viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 July 2021 - 10:28 AM

Thats great

Now let's start imaging! Think the PST will remain my scope to go, by no means prepared to on a spending "pro" mode. It's just that these cameras and programs have gotten that darn good and cheap, gotta have! 

Some philosophy: don't expect much in life, but don't expect less than that!

Edited by viewer, 05 July 2021 - 10:58 AM.

#25 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:29 AM

oh btw reduce the nose size by 1/4" mine it a little to long should be 1" .

Does anyone have the 3D printable (STL) file for the shorter nose adapter?

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics