•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where to next this summer with decent skies? Western US...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:37 PM

People in Canada have better beers than we do....

• Don H, joelcindyclark and iRunBadC93 like this

#27 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 01 July 2021 - 01:18 PM

Yeah I know, and shorter nights. Factors I need to consider and balance out and all stuff I didn't really think about before... I don't know what people in Canada do. 

What do we do? We spend every day being grateful for living in the country we live in. If we want to see a bit further south then we visit Australia, Costa Rica, Chile, etc… You know somewhere interesting.  wink.gif

Bill

#28 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 01 July 2021 - 02:02 PM

Islands in the sky campground at Canyonlands National Park at 7.500 feet had the darkest and most transparent skies on a month long trip in the four corners area, and with a latitude of 38.2 degrees north, longer nights than the PNW.

• SkyRanger and xonefs like this

#29 xonefs

xonefs

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:39 PM

Alright I’m at Crater Lake now will do this tonight. Could use some other Oregon tips after this.

#30 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 July 2021 - 09:16 PM

I was in Oregon last month, June 4th thru June 21st. I was camping at Fish Lake near Lake of the Woods. Elevation approx. 4700 feet. I planned the trip around the new moon in June but my bad luck it was really cold (which doesn't bother me) and it was cloudy for the first week and a half. I didn't have a chance to star gaze at all. When the weather improved during the last part of my trip I had so many outdoor activities that were put off that I spent those good days doing them and was too tired for the stargazing part. I climbed Mount Mclaughlin twice. 

Anyways as for good places to stargaze in Oregon, it might not be the best time, my sister who lives in Eagle Point told me the other day that the fires have started up. There is a place south east of Bend that has an observatory out in the desert on a Mountain. It's called Pine Mountain Observatory. I didn't get a chance to check out this year but I will next year. I think you can set up there. Higher elevation and dry desert conditions are ideal. I don't know if it will be free from smoke but its little more north than you might want to drive too.

Clear Skies and have a happy safe Fourth.

Edited by Starhunter249, 03 July 2021 - 09:18 PM.

#31 vsteblina

vsteblina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 06 July 2021 - 10:46 PM

Alright I’m at Crater Lake now will do this tonight. Could use some other Oregon tips after this.

Can you see the columns going up to the north of you??

How much time do you have left in your trip??

#32 xonefs

xonefs

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 July 2021 - 02:18 AM

Can you see the columns going up to the north of you??

How much time do you have left in your trip??

Im at the Alvord Desert now. Smoke blew in later from the westardly winds from the fires 200miles west im guessing. I also spent a night at the top of steens mountain but I drove in late and was too tired but it seemed pretty dark. Too windy up there though.

I was hoping to go to oregon before any bad fires but looks like I was a couple days too late.

The alvord desert area is wild for astro if it werent for smoke- last night it was clear and pretty incredible out on the playa. I am the only one here and it’s as dark as it gets and feels darker due to the huge horizons and total flatness. The white/beige desert playa seems to act like a reflector for star light/milkyway glow making it possible to walk around and see decently at night.

Now with the smoke tonight it’s not like that and the ground is darker. Wish I had more nights out here without smoke since I rented a van and would be happy just sitting out here for several more days.

I’ll have to figure out what ill do tomorrow i still have until sunday when I need to return the van to Bend

Edited by xonefs, 09 July 2021 - 02:23 AM.

#33 vsteblina

vsteblina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:05 PM

Lots of smoke to the south of Bend.

Try this from the NWS satellite....your tax dollars paid for it.  Might as well use it!!

https://rammb-slider...00&draw_width=6

• GilATM, xonefs and FoxIslandHiker like this

#34 xonefs

xonefs

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 05:00 PM

Smoke everywhere now from fires in oregon/idaho/etc. It is making my decisions on travel less open ended.

I had one decent night at Painted Hills, OR before going towards Washington. Here in WA near Mt Rainier has been clear but it looks like everywhere east is getting heavy smoke. Idaho/MT/Wyoming/Colorado all look pretty bad now. So I'm staying in WA for now even with the short nights at least it's clear...

I wonder what the trend will be like in the next couple weeks. I have another month before I need to head back to Florida and one more new moon cycle I'll have to figure out where I will be for. I was thinking it would be Colorado for that then head back but I'm unsure how that will be with smoke. I would also sqing back to Utah/Moab or NW New Mexico then but same concern. And I really liked West Texas and could do that again on the way home but it will be pretty hot in August and they have monsoon season. 

39Yow94l.jpg

#35 UWastronomer

UWastronomer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sammamish, WA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:42 PM

Any good places to setup a telescope privately in or near Sunriver? Looks like the observatory is booked. Assuming no smoke events, hoping there is a nice area to look at stars aside from right where I am staying, more panoramic views. 

#36 vsteblina

vsteblina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:28 PM

Any good places to setup a telescope privately in or near Sunriver? Looks like the observatory is booked. Assuming no smoke events, hoping there is a nice area to look at stars aside from right where I am staying, more panoramic views. 

Plenty of places around Sunriver. 

Check with the Forest Service and look up boat launch areas.  Find a lake with a view to the south with a boat launch to at the north end. 

Last time I stayed at Sunriver I did remember some nice areas along the river with a fairly open sky.

#37 stomias

stomias

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Blue Island IL

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:41 AM

Clark, Wyoming  

Clark WY

• kopite and xonefs like this

#38 xonefs

xonefs

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:51 PM

Clark, Wyoming

Out of how many in the last two weeks…?

#39 stomias

stomias

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Blue Island IL

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:56 PM

Shoot, that was 2016 :) But boy did my spine tingle when I exited the yurt at 2 a.m.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics