•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PVS-14 at 1x, does a filter make a noticeable difference?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Curry-rice

Curry-rice

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hawaii Kai, Oahu

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:17 AM

Been reading the pinned sections and the rest of the forum but struggling with the vast amount of information as I’m a newbie to this world. 

Does using a 650nm or 6-7nm h-a filter make a significant difference at 1x handheld scanning of the sky (and pics/video with cell phone)?

Eventually want to learn to build a more dedicated setup but funds have been depleted in the short term with the recent acquisition of my NVD. Didn’t know how blown away I would be at the view from my backyard and clearly could see the Milky Way even with street lights so nearby. Simply amazing and glad I found this community. 

#2 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:49 AM

Regardless of magnification:

== the 685nm IR filter blocks nebulosity and darkens the sky for good contrast between sky / stars

== the 642nm IR filter allows some nebulosity (M17, M42 are visible with filter) and provides great views of Milky Way clouds. M42 thru scope with 642 Filter looks great

== the 6 and 7nm Ha filter darkens the sky but allows emission nebula to shine thru. Stars are visible but less than with IR filter

You need at least one IR and one Ha filter: for sky contrast and to see emission nebula.

#3 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 26 June 2021 - 09:25 AM

Totally agree with Maz. There are times to use no filter, but having one of each filter will be necessary for all situations and magnications.

#4 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 26 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

Yes, big difference.

Ha is very effective at 1x because there are very large Ha targets to see.

Whether or not the long pass filters are desirable is somewhat a matter of personal taste, and of course a matter of light pollution.

And then there is the matter of which long pass filters. You would probably want two to choose from. Say 640 and then 610 or 685 depending upon light pollution levels (685 being for brighter skies).

The good news, long pass filters are relatively inexpensive.

#5 Curry-rice

Curry-rice

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:28 PM

These replies have been VERY helpful. Thank you all for that.

With this knowledge, I’ll get a couple of long pass filters in 1.25” so I can use them right away (had the friction fit adapter 3-D printed from another link in these forums) and get the 6 or 7nm H-a in 2” so I don’t have to buy that twice.

Mucho mahalos 😄

-Stephen

#6 shohin

shohin

Vostok 1

• Loc: Socal

Posted 27 June 2021 - 01:11 PM

FYI the RAF adapter is very nice for using 1.25" filters.

https://rafcamera.co...s-to-astro-1-25

#7 Curry-rice

Curry-rice

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2021 - 07:19 PM

FYI the RAF adapter is very nice for using 1.25" filters.

https://rafcamera.co...s-to-astro-1-25

Thanks. I did see this and although it is nice and well-made, I like the idea of easy swapping with the 3-d printed friction fit adapter (plus it's almost free). I will eventually get the Tele-Vue 2" adapter though since that seems to future proof me for further upgrades.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics