•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 6-26-21

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 26 June 2021 - 07:28 AM

Clear after midnight for first time in weeks and nice treat to Io shadow crossing Jupiter with Io itself visible near the linb. Four inch ED at x198 with average to above average seeing that came and went.. As usual for Florida humidity was high with dew dripping off the tube but optics staying dry thanks to dew strips running pretty high.

Edited by Nippon, 26 June 2021 - 07:30 AM.

• Dave Mitsky, Special Ed, payner and 2 others like this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 26 June 2021 - 09:35 PM

There was actually a double shadow transit on Saturday morning.  Callisto‚Äôs shadow preceded Io's.

https://skyandtelesc...cript-utility/#

Attached Thumbnails

• Double Galilean Shadow Transit 6-26-21 UT.JPG

• jodemur likes this

#3 Nippon

Nippon

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 27 June 2021 - 09:17 AM

Yes indeed I saw that too. like a double black star with one larger than the other.

#4 jodemur

jodemur

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: mid. east., Michigan, USA--Bortle 4.5 skies

Posted 27 June 2021 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the reports. I just happened to be awake at 2 a.m. Saturday morning and noticed that Saturn and Jupiter were up. Cloud cover has been a deterrent here too. I just could not talk myself out of bed and out the door though. I have always enjoyed catching the Jovian transits.

I'm happy that our days are beginning to shorten. At my age now, I enjoy the convenience of 9 to midnight viewing and I can easily be inspired to add an hour or two onto that.

It's time for us to be thinking about our brighter planets again.

I surely would have enjoyed seeing that double transit.

Edited by jodemur, 27 June 2021 - 09:21 AM.

#5 nibiru711

nibiru711

Explorer 1

Posted 29 June 2021 - 01:25 AM

I don't think here has been one completely clear night here since May. I've had to wait on the clouds to get away from Jupiter and Saturn to view them. The air was turbulent here for about 4 days but last night after rained in the evening it got rid of the  turbulence and took my 127mm mak outside and it the best night for it on looking at Jupiter and Saturn so far and the moon was really good, too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics