•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyShed POD questions.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PederP

PederP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denmark

Posted 27 June 2021 - 01:26 AM

Hi.

I just found an used SkyShed POD XL3.

I was wondering. Is it still possible to point your telescope at zenith the way the top opens?

And related to that. Should the mount be centered in the observatory, or does it make sense with a bit of offset to get a bigger field of view?

THX in advance

#2 speedster

speedster

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 28 June 2021 - 12:17 AM

It's common to offset the the pier.  Mine is 12" southwest.  With a big GEM, zenith might be doable.  The dome lip sticks about 6" past the centerline of the dome.  If your GEM puts you 6" either side of the mount axis, you might be able to reach zenith.  Otherwise, you'll be a few degrees off and have to wait.  I now run a C11 beside an 80mm and that's on a pier high enough that I can see over the walls horizontally.  I'm inches from the top of the dome and that is an problem often enough that I use a DIY PZT so I can push the dome all the way out of the way and that solves all issues.  Look at PZT on the POD website.  Also several examples of various PZTs with a google search.  The POD is the best accessory I've bought and I wouldn't trade it.  With a PZT, it does everything I need economically.  The POD website also has a graphic calculator that lets you input your mount/scope dimensions and it shows how things fit.

• SkyShed, dagadget and PederP like this

#3 PederP

PederP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:22 PM

Thanks smile.gif

A DIY PZT seems like a great idea.

I only need to order 3 quick release brackets for it to work.

#4 PederP

PederP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:07 AM

I think I made quite a bargain. I bought it for 500$ without seeing it i real life.

After some cleaning it looks just like new.

horseshed.jpg

I will build my PZT out of plywood and cover/waterproof it with a layer of glass fibre.

• Applal, Jim Davenport, SkyRanger and 2 others like this

#5 PederP

PederP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:51 AM

Now I just have to come up with a name. Does this work?

bannerbw.jpg

• Jaimo!, okiestarman56 and Anthony Dente like this

#6 Wire

Wire

Ranger 4

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:18 PM

Sky Shed now makes a roll off table for their pods so you can roll off the dome.

• dagadget likes this

#7 Lost Creek Observatory

Lost Creek Observatory

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:52 PM

Wondering if anyone else is having a problem getting those Sky Shed brackets? Still waiting for the ones I purchased over 3 months ago. Is there a manufacturing issue? They shouldn't be that hard to make with the proper machining equipment.

#8 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:20 PM

Congrats on your new POD. The answer to your question depends on a few factors. What is the size of the OTA? A large SCT will have more chances to be obstructed by the dome when pointing at Zenith. Is the pier offset? If you won't be doing any observing I would offset at much as possible, the recommended is 10-12 inches. Finally, as a POD owner, I highly recommend a PZT, even if you come up with your own idea because, for imaging, there's nothing like moving the dome out of the way and just image without worrying about obstructions.

• speedster likes this

#9 PederP

PederP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2021 - 04:44 AM

Wondering if anyone else is having a problem getting those Sky Shed brackets? Still waiting for the ones I purchased over 3 months ago. Is there a manufacturing issue? They shouldn't be that hard to make with the proper machining equipment.

I hope they get around to it. First obstacle is finding a way to get them shipped to Denmark. I am in contact with Wayne. Hope it works out for you (and melol.gif ).

'

Congrats on your new POD. The answer to your question depends on a few factors. What is the size of the OTA? A large SCT will have more chances to be obstructed by the dome when pointing at Zenith. Is the pier offset? If you won't be doing any observing I would offset at much as possible, the recommended is 10-12 inches. Finally, as a POD owner, I highly recommend a PZT, even if you come up with your own idea because, for imaging, there's nothing like moving the dome out of the way and just image without worrying about obstructions.

THX.

I built this out of plywood and gave it a few layers of epoxy to make it waterproof and slide like a dream. The table is facing north and wide enough for me to polar align from the middle of the observatory.smile.gif

IMG-6402.jpg

Edited by PederP, 08 August 2021 - 04:46 AM.

• mclewis1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics