•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Restoring an Old Star-Liner Equatorial Mount

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ochad

Ochad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2021 - 05:22 AM

I have owned a large Star-Liner Equatorial Mount with 2 inch axes for over 50 years and in that time it has held a homemade 8 inch f/7 Newtonian, a homemade12.5 inch f/8 Newtonian, a 14 inch SC, a 6 inch refractor, an ATM 10 inch true Cassegrain.

Click here to view the article
  • mdowns and dave253 like this

#2 LU1AR

LU1AR

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 July 2021 - 04:21 PM

Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Edgardo

• 65&Counting likes this

#3 Rick W Morgan

Rick W Morgan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: HIGH POINT, NC

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:46 PM

Truly an “oldie but goodie,” nice to see that you know how to star-hop and memorize star patterns.  Rick

• 65&Counting likes this

#4 helpwanted

helpwanted

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:02 PM

I heard a story... this goes back years, if anyone in Arizona remembers a Phoenix telescope shop called "Mr Telescope", it was on Camelback Rd & Central. The owner told me Starliner was a Tucson based company, and the owner was known to pay bills late. Well one day the company he contracted out to, to make the castings such as mount parts, got mad at him for not paying a bill and destroyed all the original sand castings for the parts. That became the beginning of the end of Starliner. 

• SunnyNuss and 65&Counting like this

#5 jstrandberg

jstrandberg

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:50 AM

Fascinating story. Nice that you had the skills to bring this old beauty back to life. I enjoyed the video, too.

• 65&Counting likes this

#6 bjkaras

bjkaras

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Back and forth between Santa Clara, CA and Las Vegas, NV

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:18 AM

I always wondered what happened to Star Liner. Thanks for the story.

• 65&Counting likes this

#7 LMcKeen

LMcKeen

Lift Off

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:36 AM

I recently purchased an old style German Equatorial mount from an ad on this site. I had Parallax make the rings for it for my 12.5" f/6 OTA with Meade Research Grade optics. The aluminum tube (15" o.d.) was made locally by a sheet metal fabrication company. The remaining challenges are to make the setting circles for which your program in Mathematica will be indispensable. I have posted an ad on here looking for setting circles but I am not too confident the effort will be successful.

I also have a 12.5" f/8 Coulter optics OTA on a Cave mount. It would benefit from a taller pier and longer legs than the original.

Thank you for your restoration article. Your other videos look interesting as well.

Dan Kahraman

• 65&Counting likes this

#8 65&Counting

65&Counting

Explorer 1

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for your story!

I have a 12.5" f/5.6 Starliner with both drives on the 2" mount I bought new probably about the time StarLiner was on the way out - always performed well and is a nice looking scope - still looks as new.

The 2" shaft mount is sturdier than the 1.5" Caves though I'm partial to the 'Cave Look' and have a number of those also.

Well Done!

#9 LMcKeen

LMcKeen

Lift Off

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:16 PM

I am beginning to rethink the reliability versus convenience and cost of the new technology GoTo mounts versus the older mounts...At present I have 3 older German Equatorials. One needs very little work, the second one needs new setting circles made. The final one is my first Pacific Instruments GEM which needs an entire replacement to the clock drive worm gear and housing and the declination fESM (Electric Slow Motion) replaced/rebuilt. I purchased it in 1977.

• LU1AR likes this

#10 TransitVanMan

TransitVanMan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:39 AM

This is lovely. Thanks for preserving the mount and for sharing the restoration story.

#11 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:52 PM

Good piece of precision work!

I had an original C11.  The fork base unfortunately, was not rigidified enough (this was rectified in the Ultima 11 fork) and produced high-amplitude vibrations that pretty much refused to die.  I used a Starliner mount, removed  the RA and attached the sand-cast forks of the 11" to an aluminum block which I mounted on the top of the polar shaft.  It was so solid you could practically hang off it.  The 11" became much more useful while still retaining the attributes of the fork design.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics