•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Mons Hadley and Rima Hadley

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 July 2021 - 05:28 AM

Fifty years ago this month, on July 30, 1971, Commander David Scott and Pilot James Irwin navigated their Apollo 15 lunar module, nicknamed Falcon, to land among the lunar Apennine mountains, while Alfred Worden remained in orbit aboard the command module, Endeavor. Scott and Irwin guided Falcon to a soft landing between the edge of a deep precipice and the base of a tall mountain to establish Hadley Base, as the landing site became known.

Click here to view the article
  • Dave Mitsky, sanbai and RJNick like this

#2 Whirlpool51

Whirlpool51

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Macclesfield, Cheshire, Great Britain.

Posted 03 July 2021 - 10:52 AM

I can just about remember the Apollo 15 mission. I would have been Seven yrs young then and if I can remember correctly the BBC showed the launch of Apollo 15 in the late afternoon (UK time)

This area is rich in geological features and it is often a challenge for Astro-imagers to see whether or not there skill is good enough, not to mention the collimation of the telescope (Newtonian or SCT) is good enough, to show the Hadley rille. If we ever get see an end to these endless cloudy skies. I will see whether I can see this area visually, through one of my refractors or my C9.25.

• PhilH and John O'Hara like this

#3 EdM2

EdM2

Vostok 1

Posted 04 July 2021 - 03:49 PM

More amateurish fun with Phil.  Thanks Phil Harrington.  Where would I be without the worlds greatest amateur?

• Dave Mitsky, PhilH and John O'Hara like this

#4 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:01 AM

Well first I want to thank Phil for all the time and effort he spends informing and educating others. I just today read his interesting article in Astronomy, July 2021 issue, about telescope mirror making.

I became interested in the moon, as I was taking a lot of images and realized that I didn't know what I was imaging or much about the moon itself. I am now reading "The Modern Moon" by Charles Wood, and learning a lot about lunar geology. The Classic Moon thread here on CN is also excellent.

Unfortunately I can't enter the July Challenge because it's too hot (and cloudy) here to go outside. But I wanted to share a couple of my previous moon images. One is the Copernicus-Eratosthenes crater area which is close to Hadley Rille. The image includes Wallace crater (center top) that is also in your image (upper far right) above. The second is a crop of a wider view that shows the target area. Thanks!

Copernicus.jpg

Hadley area.jpg

Edited by Sky King, 14 July 2021 - 02:49 PM.

• Dave Mitsky and PhilH like this

#5 weis14

weis14

Messenger

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:01 PM

I took a look at this area last night with my Stowaway.  I was testing a new alt/az mount and seeing was only fair, so I kept the magnification to 153x (Nagler 3-6mm zoon at 4mm), but still the area was magnificent.  I did not see the rill, but made out Hadley C pretty easily.  Numerous other features in the area were also a treat to look at.  For a while, it made me forget that I was looking through an atmosphere filled with smoke and water vapor.

Thanks for this month's challenge.  Next 1st quarter, I'll take out my 160mm APO and GEM and take a look at higher magnification if the seeing allows.

• PhilH likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics