•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

carrying case for RASA 11

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mgn

mgn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:34 AM

hi everyone,

finally after what seems like years, my 11" RASA  v2 has arrived. Does anyone know of a padded carrying case that works? I've looked around but can't see anything that fits the length.

any hints/steers much appreciated, (yes, one option is to figure out how to make one :-)  )

Martin 

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 02 July 2021 - 03:28 PM

Check out:

https://www.paperato...1&sectok=#gtp=4

Good Luck

Gary

#3 mgn

mgn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:02 PM

thanks for the link, unfortunately the nearest is this

https://www.geoptik....5&product_id=86

which is not long enough. I'll keep hunting though

#4 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 04 July 2021 - 01:01 AM

I cut the styrofoam of the cardboard box to fit (very little cutting needed). Even the motor focuser can stay put. Very sturdy, made for a drum kit:

https://www.thomann....ardwarecase.htm

• mgn likes this

#5 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Ellensburg, WA, USA

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:12 AM

I usually make a plywood box using the same foam inserts as the Celeste on box. Put a piano hinge on the back.
  • mgn likes this

#6 Az_Rael

Az_Rael

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Palmdale, CA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:08 PM

Just ordered this.  Worked great, just had to trim the original foam.  https://smile.amazon...ob_b_prod_image

YaDtPFc.jpg

INP6HNj.jpg

wQxgqyg.jpg

• mgn and shark-bait like this

#7 shark-bait

shark-bait

Apollo

• Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:11 PM

Just ordered this.  Worked great, just had to trim the original foam.  https://smile.amazon...ob_b_prod_image

I am going to use this as well.  Hopeful to get my RASA 11" soon.

#8 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

Would you feel comfortable sending the scope as checked baggage on an airline in any of the enclosures shown above - including 555aaa's plywood box?

just curious....

Gary

#9 mgn

mgn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:41 PM

That is properly fantastic, I will seriously look at that.

Well, after a million months I got my 11" v2, this is it set up in daylight before a 1st night's test, even still got the washing on the line :-) All balanced, all ready to go - I even got the celestron focus unit working with ASCOM and I must say - watching it autofocus (I use AstroArt for everything) is absolute MAGIC.

The lower picture is a quick test of 6 x 240 sec unguided of M101 reduced to 33% - I wouldn't call it first light either, the goal was to test the system. The slight pinch on the stars is the cabling from the Trius 814 which I need to sort out. I use a Starizona Filter Slider which is brilliant - I need to cut a hole in the side of my home made baffle to access it though.

This really was a test night - the Starizona Filter Slider, the celestron focus unit, the RASA itself are all new to me - after 15 years of using an Intes Micro MN86 this was not about getting a good image, but learning to to set the lot up, balance it correctly & all that jazz.

I think, by chance, that my choice of camera (Trius 814) with small pixels was lucky, it works very well with the optical dimensions of the scope too.

Bizarrely, in the UK we have had a mini heat wave - 2 weeks of 30-32 degrees (celsius), and at night time it just didn't cool down that much - that meant that the rig was continually changing focus, the stars were shimmery even though it was a clear night - it was actually quite rubbish, so I packed it in after one night as it was just not possible to take decent shots ( and the nights are too short). 

Anyway, I now know how to set it up and what it's FoV is and I can't wait for longer nights.

I really like the box setup for the RASA and it definitely needs something like that, thanks for the link !

p.s. a FYI - I was told that I needed a retro knob in order to attach the celestron focussing unit - I got my supplier (FirstlightOptics - who were very helpfuL) to attach the focus unit and they didn't need the retro knob, so that is a bum steer from Celestron.

Attached Thumbnails

• RA11.JPG
  • m101 test.JPG

Edited by mgn, 24 July 2021 - 01:44 PM.

• DuncanM likes this

#10 Az_Rael

Az_Rael

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Palmdale, CA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:27 PM

Would you feel comfortable sending the scope as checked baggage on an airline in any of the enclosures shown above - including 555aaa's plywood box?

just curious....

Gary

Not in the one I posted.   It is not as sturdy as a pelican style case, and I wouldn’t trust it to hold up to being thrown around by the ground crews.  

#11 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:28 PM

With mine (same as posted by AZ_Rael)? No way. But then I am amazed that the Celestron original packaging works at all. So there is the chance that it will work but I would not risk it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics