•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fast 80mm finderscope recommendation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nimitz69

nimitz69

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 03 July 2021 - 10:46 AM

I'm looking to put together a grab and go setup for use with my MOD 3C that has a little more reach than my Nikkor lens but I don't really want to buy a full up telescope ...

I know the Stellavue 80MM finderscope is a great choice but I can't find it in stock anywhere and I'm a little leery of purchasing one with the dreaded "expanded lead time" qualifier from on-line retailers.  Last time I did something like that was for a set of Astrodon filters and after literally 7 months of "new due date is XXX" I got my money back & bought a set of Chromas" ...anyway,

can anyone recommend  a comparable 80mm finderscope  to use with my MOD 3C?

would something like the TS-Optics 80mm Right-angle finderscope be a good choice?

Edited by nimitz69, 03 July 2021 - 10:50 AM.

#2 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:29 AM

This may not help:

I had a SV 80x13 finder on an Obsession... then I got a Mod3 and the SV (right angle) would not focus. I'm thinking the Mod3 needed more infocus and it just wasn't there.

Ended up with a 50mm CCD finder with helical focuser and that works.

The 200mm f/4 Nikkor is light and provides great views and the price is $50 or so.

#3 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 04 July 2021 - 03:01 AM

I got a 80mm f4 straight thru with 2” helical focus from APM, got Markus to chop a chunk off the tube to allow some focal reduction. Makes you look like a pirate when in use.

Peter

Edited by PEterW, 04 July 2021 - 03:02 AM.

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:25 AM

I use the Orion Deluxe Mini 50mm Guide Scope with Helical Focuser with my NVD Micro. I think its around $100.

I had to adjust the objective focus (just screwing the lens in a bit) but everything came to focus. This version also has a helical focuser which is nice and three screws to secure your intensifier. I can use 1.25' filters. The magnification is around 7x. There are other like guiders out there.

Sections of Barnard's Loop the complete North American and California Nebulas are some of what can be seen in heavy light pollution. 

Image is of my Micro attached to the Orion Guider.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2971.jpg

• AllStarez and Curry-rice like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics